D Stock To switch rims or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 10:56 AM
ninjanick
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I plan on starting autocross this year .. G-stock. Was wondering if it would be better to (1) save a little $$ and keep my stock 17s (S-lites) and mount better rubber or (2) purchase a set of used R84s and mount some better rubber? Are there advantages for a 17" rim vs. lighter weight 16"? Is it worth spending the extra $400 on the R84s and save ~9lbs. per wheel?

Old 01-19-2004, 03:46 PM
BEANTIME
Neutral
If you'v never autoxed before,save your money and learn to drive on the tires you have.You wont beleave how many time you'll hear that and it's cheaper to wast the tires you have than to spend you'r money on sticky tires that wont do you much good starting out.BTW..i started autoxing last year,on stock 17' runflats{crapo}.
the one thing you need to do is HAVE FUN!

Old 01-19-2004, 07:13 PM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Bean makes a very good point. However, I started on R compounds with an extra set of wheels (on my Miata at the time) and never regretted it.

To answer you plain and simple. Yes, the extra money is worth it for the weight you loose. Not to mention how much different the car will handle with a lighter wheel and stickier tire.

Having said that, like Bean said, you may want to save your money for now. But invest in something even better than the stock 16's once you can afford them.

Brian

Old 01-19-2004, 08:11 PM
ninjanick
1st Gear
I really can't afford to spend lots of money on the MCS. And when I hand back for lease I didn't want to have to pay for run-flats to be put back on if I burn through them before the lease is up. Ideally I'd like to save the run-flats and just put them back on later. Buy another set of rims/tires and just have fun with those.

Old 01-19-2004, 09:52 PM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Well then, my answer would be yes, buy the stock 16's from someone used if you can and run them. Keeping the 17's off to the side. There is definitely a handling, braking, and accelleration difference in a wheel/tire combo that is that heavy.

Brian

Old 01-20-2004, 10:03 PM
ninjanick
1st Gear
Sounds good ... I think I'm going to go with some used R84s. Thanks alot!

Old 01-27-2004, 03:46 PM
wkndracr
4th Gear
I would go for the extra wheels too. I ran 2 events on my run flats and wore down the 2 front tires pretty bad. I can't imagine them lasting a whole season.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:10 PM
truckeecollins
3rd Gear
Just a thought...
Having raced my 914 for 4 years, the last three on racing tires, I found myself using the racing tires as a crutch. Sure, you're going to go faster on racing tires but are you driving better. I did this past season on street tires with my MCS. I was lucky to be able to run in a street tire class. This allowed me to learn to drive a front wheel drive car more effectively. I like street tire so much that I plan on staying in this class next year. There is much more competition . It is much more fun to race against 8-15 cars than 1 -3 cars. There is nothing wrong with running a bone stock car unless you like to spend money for a few tenths before you are really competitive anyway. Anyway you cut it you will have fun anyway.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Trippy
Banned
You are going to race a leased car?

Does your lease agreement even allow that?

Old 01-31-2004, 07:42 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
I started out on the runcraps, and did quite well, considering it was my first season autocrossing. Before halfway through the season I purchased a set of Enkei wheels (the "Monzo" style) and a set of Falken Azenis Sport. My times definitely improved. I drove on the Azenis for awhile and liked them alot. A friend who Club Races (SCCA) a Cooper (last season) had a few sets of Kumho V700s that were cast offs from races let me try them out. Boy oh boy.. what a difference. I absolutely love them sicky tires. :smile: My motto is you have to learn the limits of the original car and improve you skillz before you start changing stuff. You wouldn't believe the novices who show up with crazy modded cars who can't drive worth diddly. Starting off with stock tires is completely OK. I drove my first two SEDiv Divisionals on the Dunlops, mind you everyone else was on Hoosiers, but I had a fun time none-the-less. I got my but kicked at Divisionals, butI did come in second place in my region last season.

David

-V--V-

Old 02-01-2004, 05:01 PM
TSizemore3
1st Gear
I have to agree, I ran my first four events on the stock 17" Dunlop sport runflats and I feel it did help me learn more on car control. Mind you, I still have a LOT to learn. I went to lightweight 16" wheels and Falken Azenis Sports and immediately was three seconds faster. I think with the greater grip of the Azenis, if I had used them from the start I would be a bit further back on the learning curve as it would have been harder to reach the cars limits in a safe manner. The main reason I went to the Azenis when I did is that the stock tires were used up. I'll go with a non-runflat tire when I replace the Dunlops.

When I leave the G-Stock Novice class and go to the regular G-Stock, I'll even consider going to the Hoosiers or Kumho's. This is because the local club I run with specify no R-compounds and must have a wear rating of at least 200 to run in their Stock Novice classes.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:27 AM
ninjanick
1st Gear
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want me to autocross, but I don't think I'll be hitting the autocross as much as I really want to. And since I don't think I can hit the autocross circuit frequently, I think I'm going to keep the runflats and just use what I have. When they wear out, then I'll take the time to worry about it. Thanks all!

Old 02-02-2004, 12:43 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
>>You are going to race a leased car?

Earl