North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   SCCA Solo and ProSolo (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo-199/)
-   -   D Stock SCCA Solo II G Stock FAQ (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/scca-solo-and-prosolo/20754-scca-solo-ii-g-stock-faq.html)

BGarfield 01-15-2004 11:50 PM

SCCA Solo II G Stock Class FAQs

- G Stock is where the MINI Cooper S is classed

- It's main competitors are cars such as the Toyota Celica GT, Dodge Neon, Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, BMW E30 318is, etc.

- What modifications are allowed in SCCA Stock class?
Any front sway bar, end links, and bushings may be used.
Any exhaust from behind the catalytic converter and back may be used.
Any spark plugs may be used.
Any spark plug wire may be used, including those with an in-line capacitor.
Any performance coil may be used.
Any wheel that is the same diameter, width and offset (within +/- .25 inch or about 6mm) as a factory wheel. Wheel spacers may be used to meet the offset requirement as long as the spacer is no more than .25 inch thick.
The allowable sizes for the MCS are 16x6.5 offset 48mm and 17x7 offset 48mm.
Any D.O.T. approved tire that fits on the rims stated above may be used. This includes Hoosier A3S03, R3S03, A3S04, and R3S04, Kumho V700s and V710's, Yoko A032R and Rs, and Michelin Pilot Sports. The best tire choices for the MINI Cooper S is the 215/40R16 from Hoosier (as of 1/15/04) with 205's available in both 16's and 17's. Some 225's are available, but are much taller diameters and have fitment problems.
Any air filter may be used, as long as it is the same size and shape of the original. The air filter must fit in the original air box. Running without an air filter is also allowed.
Any shock absorber with no more than two adjustments may be used. The shock must mount in the original location. On shock absorbers with adjustable spring perches, the perches must be welded in place.

- If it does not say I can, can I?
No. The rules are very specific about modifications.

- I have heard about comfort and convenience, what falls into this category?
C&C is to allow you to make modifications to your car that offer no advantage while auto crossing. Some examples of allowable C&C upgrades are-
Aftermarket stereo equipment (this does not allow the removal of the stock radio or speakers)
Driving lights, clear taillights, clear side markers, and alternate gas cap lids.

- Can I retrofit options to my car if it didn't come from the factory?
Yes. The rules state that you must change all the parts that are included with the package, such as the Premium Package. This is where the MINI has an advantage over other cars in stock class. At MINI, almost any option can be ordered separately, therefore allowing it to be added at a later date. Some less fortunate cars require major add-ons to get minor changes.

If you have any questions or corrections to what I have written, please post them here or email me at the address below so that I can update the FAQ.

Thanks,
Brian Garfield

Scoobywrx 09-06-2005 08:49 AM

Wouldn't this allow JCW parts then that come with the package?

BGarfield 09-06-2005 10:09 PM

Something I missed in the above is that in order for a Package Conversion to be allowed, it has to be the same model year.

So yes, if you had a 2006 Cooper S without a JCW package, you could add the full package to the car and be legal for Stock Class (wherever they place the JCW car).

However, the current (2005 and earlier) JCW package is NOT a factory option, therefore 2005 and earlier cars cannot be converted and still be legal for Stock Class.

Brian

Drillslinger 10-09-2006 06:52 PM

- Can I retrofit options to my car if it didn't come from the factory?
Yes. The rules state that you must change all the parts that are included with the package, such as the Premium Package. This is where the MINI has an advantage over other cars in stock class. At MINI, almost any option can be ordered separately, therefore allowing it to be added at a later date. Some less fortunate cars require major add-ons to get minor changes.
Just checking to see if I understand this right, I have a JCW Intake on my MCS. Just the intake (but it's an official part). Since it's the whole KIT that is offered from the factory then unless I add the head, s/c, etc. I no longer qualify for this class? Or would I then be bumped to the B-Stock (with the full JCW kit)??

Thx :thumbsup:

JustGo4It_ 10-09-2006 07:55 PM

Changing the intake would put you in STX even if it is an official part. To be placed in B Stock you would need the whole kit.

Drillslinger 10-09-2006 08:00 PM

Figures :sly: Thanks :thumbsup:

Bilbo-Baggins 10-09-2006 08:05 PM

Great information! Thanks, well done.

mitchman 10-16-2006 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by BGarfield (Post 265441)
SCCA Solo II G Stock Class FAQs

Any performance coil may be used.

Really? I've never read anything about allowing a performance coil as a replacement for the factory one. Hmmmmm........

Gromit801 10-16-2006 03:16 PM

I wonder where M7 SRP's come into this.

nygaard 10-16-2006 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gromit801 (Post 1180408)
I wonder where M7 SRP's come into this.

Not stock legal

Motoring 10-16-2006 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by mitchman (Post 1180394)
Really? I've never read anything about allowing a performance coil as a replacement for the factory one. Hmmmmm........

The coil is a replaceable ignition wear item like spark plugs and wires.

pigeon 01-03-2007 04:02 PM

How do all the ecu changes fit into this picture? Mini has made some many runing changes. I actually had the last(?) one removed and the old program reinstalled because the the car felt as if it were detuned. Why couldn't someone simply install the Shark profile?

So urethane bushings are OK on the sway bar??

Motoring 01-03-2007 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by pigeon (Post 1299951)
How do all the ecu changes fit into this picture? Mini has made some many runing changes. I actually had the last(?) one removed and the old program reinstalled because the the car felt as if it were detuned.

Dealer reflashes as part of regular maintenance or TSB's etc are OK

Why couldn't someone simply install the Shark profile?

Because that would be cheating...

So urethane bushings are OK on the sway bar??

Yes, front swaybar bushings are unrestricted.

pigeon 01-03-2007 04:37 PM

I knew that.........

I knew that reprogramming had to be outside the rules, but had to ask. It seems as natural as changing jets in a carb, timing etc.
Thanks.

graphicjoe 04-11-2007 08:40 PM

You can change carb jets, but the carbs are difficult to locate on the MINI, very difficult.

cheers,

Joe

wrxdriver 07-24-2007 01:55 PM

So Im guessing that the lsd that you can order from the dealer is ok for this class?

Motoring 07-24-2007 02:23 PM

Yes, because it is a factory option. but you cannot install a quaiffe.

minihune 05-16-2010 09:28 PM

For the new 2010-11 season the SCCA and reclassed

The stock Cooper S in all body styles into

D Stock not G Stock.

Wetworth 08-11-2010 03:46 PM

Will Koni FSD dampers push the car out of stock?

mitchman 08-11-2010 04:25 PM

No. As long as they are a direct replacement for the factory shocks, they are stock legal. In other words, you need to be able to use all the factory hardware. The same springs, and all associated attachment hardware.

Shocks are a "wear item" and all wear items can be legally replaced per the Stock class rules. (tires, brake pads, air filter, shocks, spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil) Being able to replace the front sway-bar is the only discrepancy in the "wear items" scenario.

Wetworth 08-11-2010 04:49 PM

Excellent, I just wanted to make sure before I spent the $$$ :thumbsup:

JustGo4It_ 08-13-2010 08:58 PM

The Koni Sports would be a better choice due to their adjustability. You want the rear of the car to be as stiff as possible to help the car rotate.

Wetworth 08-13-2010 09:15 PM

I would like to but the MINI's gonna see a lot more time with a car seat in it than track time in about 4 months :) I guess my priority now is ride comfort, if I can also improve handling its a bonus :thumbsup: