D Stock '05 LSD, All kinds of questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Wetworth
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 LSD, All kinds of questions

I have a question about my '05. It is a very early build in the model year and the LSD wasn't available when I ordered the car, however, later in the year it was an option . Is it possible to retrofit, is it legal in DS, is it worth it? Also, I guess, what kind of $$$ would I be looking at?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
As the LSD was available as a factory option it can be added as long as it is the same exact type and model. I do believe that you are allowed to retro fit items not specifically offered when your car was made if it was either previously or subsequently offered for your model car.

They do make a significant difference on launch and exiting corners. Also when driving in the snow, ice or rain. Would not consider another car without one.

Last edited by Bilbo-Baggins; 08-19-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Wetworth
2nd Gear
Yeah, I really wanted one, but when I ordered they had no idea when it would be available and I had already waited 2-3 years for the car (stupid college).

Old 08-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now if you put a Gilken or some other LSD diff in who will know the difference? You can't tell without cracking the tranny open. The oem diff does not have a high percentage of lock so going with an aftermarket LSD would yield more results.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:37 AM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Now if you put a Gilken or some other LSD diff in who will know the difference? You can't tell without cracking the tranny open. The oem diff does not have a high percentage of lock so going with an aftermarket LSD would yield more results.
That would not be a stock legal mod. If you have to cheat to win why bother?

Old 11-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I raced I did not cheat. We did not have the money to do so. Lots of people out there do cheat, or maybe they just interpreted the rules better than others. If you haven't read it you should read the Unfair Advantage written by Mark Donohue.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:16 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
MINI's factory LSD was a good option in 2005 for the MCS with manual transmission.

Any MINI in an earlier year, any base cooper, or any with auto transmission should not have LSD so that would be highly suspicious.

The rules are there to help make things equal within a class. And it is up to the owner to try to compete in the right place. Competitors can protest if they feel rules are not being followed.

You cannot easily tell if LSD has been added nor what type of LSD, same with gear ratios and lightened flywheels.

Heck, ported and polished heads are also hidden.

If you want to be legal then only adding the MINI OEM LSD to the correct model and year MINI would be OK and is usually very costly. About $600 to over $1000 in labor plus parts- check with your parts dept.

Very few LSD MINIs were sold but it was a good choice and worked OK.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Wetworth
2nd Gear
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 AM
SalemMINIDriver
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Wetworth
I have a question about my '05. It is a very early build in the model year and the LSD wasn't available when I ordered the car, however, later in the year it was an option . Is it possible to retrofit, is it legal in DS, is it worth it? Also, I guess, what kind of $$$ would I be looking at?
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
I do believe that you are allowed to retro fit items not specifically offered when your car was made if it was either previously or subsequently offered for your model car.
There is no update/backdate allowance in Stock. Maybe this would be OK if car's model year is consistent with availability of this option. Are VIN number ranges or build dates for implementation of this option published? If so and your vehicle falls outside it sounds like it would be protest bait at the sport's highest levels unless the rules clearly state that model year trumps other factors.

If it makes you feel any better, the factory optional LSD falls well short of the (illegal) Quaife unit from a hobby motorsports perspective. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone really considers it to be a game changer.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
I won't get into the issue of legal or not.
If you want a very good LSD for a min. expense I would look at the Phantom Grip LSD. Under $400.00.
This was unit that was used by Mini team in Grand AM endurance racing.
They have website.
Have been involved in racing for 30+ years. SCCA, IMSA, AMA. I follow the rule book. If there is a "gray" area I'll take advantage of it any way I can. I know my competitors will also.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Joe_914
1st Gear
Like I wrote in my other thread.
I was pleasantly suprised this morning to find out my 07 MCS is all sported out and option delete.
Sport package, sport suspension, LSD. Heck I picked it up used because it was the only one I could find without a sun roof.

1st event in the car is next weekend. Should be a heck of an adjustment coming from my shifter kart.