D Stock Slalom technique

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:50 AM
FLKeith
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slalom technique

I’d like some feedback on how to best drive a slalom. I know the basics about turning early and using big arcs that go close to the cones. What I am not sure about is how to best join the arcs. I have been moving the steering wheel quickly at each transition and then holding a constant radius for each arc. The quick turn causes a squeal from my Kuhmo V710 tires – is that turning too quickly? A slower transition would require tighter arcs because there is less time holding the radius so I’m not sure if that would be any better. How do you know when the transition is too fast or too slow?
Thanks

Old 11-09-2009, 10:32 AM
glnr13
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
best tip i got IMO from an instructor regarding slaloms:
look down the slalom and focus on the last cone, you will naturally avoid the cones in your path. keeps you tighter and makes a straighter line. the wider your arcs the more time you are putting on your lap so staying straight is the better bet. keep exit in mind for setup of the next corner.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by FLKeith
I’d like some feedback on how to best drive a slalom. I know the basics about turning early and using big arcs that go close to the cones. What I am not sure about is how to best join the arcs. I have been moving the steering wheel quickly at each transition and then holding a constant radius for each arc. The quick turn causes a squeal from my Kuhmo V710 tires – is that turning too quickly? A slower transition would require tighter arcs because there is less time holding the radius so I’m not sure if that would be any better. How do you know when the transition is too fast or too slow?
Thanks
Slaloms are not that easy to do well. You can practice and get better at it.
Unless you drive a Miata or MR2, then you're cheating.

Things to consider-
1.Turn in early on each cone so that you have more time to set up for the next cone.
2.If the spacing is the same between each cone (count out the distance in your steps) then drive with constant speed and rhythm when turning.
3.If the spacing is not even you need to slow down a little for less gap and speed up a little for more gap.
4. If the number of cones (in each position) in the slalom are not the same, double or triple cones will require a little more curve in each turn to clear the larger obstacle. Plan ahead and slow a little if you need to. i.e. 5 cone positions with first and last 1 cone, 2nd and 4th with 2 cones wide and middle with three cones wide, or another effect can be made with offset cones to make the turns wider or even curve the slalom so the turns are uneven on each side due to the turn. Just plan ahead and be aware of the adjustments needed- maybe slow a little.
5.Drive the straightest line you can with as little wheel turn- slow hands is better than fast hands and big turns because any excessive turning will have to be corrected back to straight.
6.Always look at the exit of the slalom and consider the next element, does it require a fast exit like a straight or is it another tight or slow element- transitions are key for making everything flow better.
7.Enter the slalom as straight as you can and keep it straight, if you enter at a bigger angle then you will need to turn back more to get straight and you don't want to waste time turning when you can be going straight.
8.Video tape yourself on a sample course with cones- can be done in a parking lot on your own and see how close you are to the cones on the front and rear- all four wheels. See if you consistently are far or near on any wheels and adjust to be closer to cones on each wheel all the time. 2 to 3" is good but clipping a cone is risky. Your judgement and car position awareness are key to driving a better slalom.
9.Stay away from entering the slalom too fast then needing to hit the brakes hard in the middle of the slalom which can excessively slow your car and break the nice flow.
10.Keep an even throttle and don't punch the gas too much- this upsets the balance of the car, you want the weight of the car as evenly on all four tires most of the time, braking hard puts more weight on the front and hard acceleration more weight on the rear tires.
11.If your Kumho V710 tires are making noise you are turning too hard or abruptly, V710s should make very very little noise in a slalom.
Always look ahead and scan with your eyes to see where you need to go, study the course enough to know where you are in the slalom but don't dwell on each cone, everything comes by quickly.
12.As you begin to exit the slalom if you are going for a fast exit you need to get on the gas as you pass the second to the last cone about 1/2 second early, don't wait until you are clearing the last cone. It makes a big difference to enter the straight going a little faster than your competitors and keep on the gas the whole way to carry more speed through the whole straight.

There are many many more things to learn but those tips should keep you busy for now.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:26 PM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only been autocrossing a couple years, but I've been told I am a natural slalom runner and very smooth and fast through a slalom.

That being said, I agree with all that has been said above. I don't know if this is standard technique, but I tend to keep my hands at 11:30 and 12:30 when in a slalom and with loose grip simply turn into each cone with a gentle side to side motion with the steering.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Joe_914
1st Gear
Some other techniques are place your left foot over the brake and use it to control your speed if you seem to be getting behind (going too fast).

My shifter kart is so crazy I am usually pulling the shifter to the next higher gear at least once if not twice. So I have only one hand on the wheel and am transfering weight side to side against the seat to steer.

Transfering weight in the Mini is the same. Turn in crisply and transfer weight right at the apex of the slalom cone. Then be turning to set up for the next by transfering to the other side. It looks like a wiggle while going in a straight line. Do not go on and of withthe gas as it will be pitching the car front to back causing all sorts of push and loose actions.
The throttle should just sound NHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa all the way through.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 PM
WDWBen
1st Gear
I've changed my technique since getting the MINI. I used to have to plan WAY in advance with my Subaru to get the weight moving and the car diving the way I wanted it. But then, in a very spaced out slalom at my first event in the MINI, I was turning AT the cones, and the little car was just zipping back and forth. It was working well, too; on all seasons I was one of the fastest MINIs out there, especially considering I had only picked up the car 24 hours earlier.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best way to approach a slalom? Walk the course. Get an idea of the spacing before you waste a run. Unequal spacing is loved by gimmicky course designers.