D Stock The millionth tire question thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 PM
scabpicker
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The millionth tire question thread

Since it's the most important part of an autocross car, it's probably justified, though.

I have a sum of money burning a hole in my pocket that is just about the right size to purchase a set of slipstreams and R comps. This will be my second season. I have two persons in my region who go to nationals, and I am usually between 6-7 seconds slower than they are. When I have talked to them, they say R comps are worth about 5 seconds on the courses we run, and that I should not be disappointed with my times.

While I'd like to think that R comps would put me where I could at least be thinking that I am close to them in times, I'd hate to make an expensive mistake. I believe that my worst driving problem is a pathological fear of the brake pedal. I won't attend nationals this year, but it is in the plans for the future. I am at least considering the national tour when it comes to TX and also the divisional event, scheduling will determine if I actually go.

The tires I am considering are either Kumho V710s (my first choice) or Falken 615s (if the consensus is that I'd be better served by a more forgiving tire for now). The previous events were either on the stock runflats or Direzza Z1s. I haven't been in a car with R comps, so I am not certain of the tradeoffs.

What would be your advice? Get the Kumhos? Get the Falkens? Go get some Konis, you fool? Spend it on data acquisition so you know where you are blowing the other 1-2 seconds instead?

I really think it's tires that I need, but I am open to suggestion. I will attend both autocross schools provided by my region no matter what I buy.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:50 AM
jsma
2nd Gear
This whole post is all my opinion, but if you're looking to see how you compare to the others as a driver, I think you should just get the rotas and V710's and remove any doubts that you would have with the Falkens.

Hoosiers are definitely not an R-comp to learn on unless you have a lot of $. I've heard of people cording their A6's after around 20 runs. My first set of V710's lasted around 80 runs. They haven't even corded, yet, but are pretty smooth, feel a bit greasy, and are probably about 1-1.5 seconds off pace. Also, those 80 runs included plenty of wheelspin since the 215/40R16 V710's are pretty short.

The sport suspension shocks from factory are already really good. I wouldn't spend money on Konis until you're comfortable with the R-comps. In some cars, Konis can probably make a big difference, but I found little to no advantage with my '07 (granted, I only have the off-the-shelf single adjustables). In fact, it took me a few events to tune them to match the stock setup. The double adjustables will set you back a lot more.

With sport suspension, LSD (not the drug), and V710's the potential is there to be top-5 at nationals.

Good luck!

-John

Old 01-09-2009, 01:51 PM
scabpicker
3rd Gear
Thank you very much for your advice on the shocks. I would only be able to afford the single adjustable models as well, and knew that they would require more setup to get any benefit vs. the tires.

I was leaning toward V710s over Hoosiers due to the price/longevity concerns. My aim is more to improve than measure myself against the current G-stock regulars. On reflection, I am not sure how I would know how to even measure myself against them on the Falkens. There is a semi-regular in a MINI that runs on them, he is usually 1-2 seconds faster than I. In the end, the difference is probably mostly driver. At the last event, I was around 5 seconds faster than his friend was in his car. Too many variables, and he does not show up all the time. Against the regular G-stock folks, I would know that the difference were almost certainly 90% me.

I suppose as long as no one thinks I hazard making myself an idiot man-child driver with V710s, that's what I am gonna buy.

Gracias, again.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 PM
SalemMINIDriver
3rd Gear
Another option

Something to consider:

http://www.frisbyracetire.com/misc_tires.asp

205/50R16 at $85 each. They would have '05 date codes, and it's just the medium compound tires which are still being liquidated. Not a match for the V710s I'm sure, but they'll set you back less than the RT-615s.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also consider the "greasy" factor. I know from the guys here in California's central valley, that the Falkens get slippery on a hot day, hot pavement surface, losing grip.

The Hankook Ventus SR2's I ran last year didn't have that issue.

As far as the Kumho's, I will be asking around when the season starts.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:23 AM
cosmosmpower
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SalemMINIDriver
Something to consider:

http://www.frisbyracetire.com/misc_tires.asp

205/50R16 at $85 each. They would have '05 date codes, and it's just the medium compound tires which are still being liquidated. Not a match for the V710s I'm sure, but they'll set you back less than the RT-615s.
Has anyone used this tire on a Mini for GS? 05 build dates seem like they would be pretty crunchy.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
jsma
2nd Gear
Idiot man-child driver That's why people are pointing and laughing at me.

Seriously, though, I think you'll be plenty fine with the Kumhos. I was in 3rd place after the first day of Nationals with them, so they're definitely capable tires. From talking to people who have done the testing, there's anywhere from 0.0 to 0.4 seconds of difference between the Kumhos and Hoosiers.

As for street tire classes, the current quick tires are the Bridgestone RE-01R's and the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. I don't think the Falkens are even competitive anymore. The new Kumho is supposed to be pretty quick, too, but there's also a new Bridgestone coming out before May that's supposed to be better than the RE-01R.

Originally Posted by scabpicker
I suppose as long as no one thinks I hazard making myself an idiot man-child driver with V710s, that's what I am gonna buy.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM
scabpicker
3rd Gear
Yes, temperature is a concern here for sure. The folks who run R comps almost universally spray their tires between runs. I noticed the Dunlops would get less sticky as the runs wore on as well. I'm sure my lack of smooth turn in didn't help.

The Hankooks are intriguing. The medium compound seems like it would probably work better than most tires in the summer months here. It's recommended surface temp is 70-95, it's usually well beyond that for the afternoon runs here. I know that several of the guys who run R comps are sometimes using used race tires for the local events, so it being a racing rather than autocross tire should not be a disadvantage. 4 years old is not _that_ old, but it does make me hesitate to buy them, even at a $100 discount.

If my cheap side wins, I'll get the Hankooks. If my competitive side wins, I'll get the Kumhos.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Axela
2nd Gear
My plan is to use both... I already bought the Hankooks for local events and autoX school, which provide 30-40 runs. When kooks wear out, I'll get the Kumhos.