D Stock R53 shock/strut on an R56

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:39 PM
sm2dan
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 shock/strut on an R56

...continuing from this thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...light=r56+koni

If i read correctly the R53 shocks/struts will work on an R56 by pressing out the mounts from the front and getting adjustable end links, AND getting the Helix bushings for the rear. Is this correct? What else may be necessary?

Dan

Old 08-28-2007, 01:21 PM
GSharp
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sm2dan
...continuing from this thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...light=r56+koni

If i read correctly the R53 shocks/struts will work on an R56 by pressing out the mounts from the front and getting adjustable end links, AND getting the Helix bushings for the rear. Is this correct? What else may be necessary?

Dan
Press the front spring perches off and swap them. Re-install on car. Enjoy.

The height difference of the 2 swaybar tab locations is about 20mm, IIRC. If you get an adjustable droplink, it needs to be reasonably close to the length needed to keep the swaybar oriented in the same position (with the car on the ground) as it was with the OE strut and droplink.

GH

Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Edit, GH beat me to it...

I have been waiting for some OEM strut mounts and OEM shocks/springs to arrive so I can simply take my stock stuff out all in one piece and simply bolt in the modified Koni's. Anyway, the parts should be here tomorrow hopefully, so, this weekend will be my first on Konis in the R56. :-)

Last edited by OasisT; 08-28-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:07 PM
sm2dan
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the assistance. I've got a set of Konis at the shop, but it sounds like I need some new links!

Old 09-02-2007, 06:35 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
I bolted on my rears yesterday. No problems at all, they went right in with the needed washer. However, one thing to note, where the large bolt goes through the bottom of the shock, it seems very easy to get the bolt slightly ****-eye'd, which, could result in stripping the trailing arms threads since they are made of delicate aluminium. :-( I nearly stripped the trailing arm on the first try, luckily, I was using a hand wrench and was able to back it out easily enough to re-start the bolt without doing any permenant damage. Anyway, just a note to be careful, however, I am not an experienced mechanic, so, to those who know there way around the garage, this may be a non-issue.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:06 AM
GRMPer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, good point. I make it easier by not tightening up the top two bolts that much, allowing the assembly to swing around quite a bit...you can then slowly engage the big lower bolt with your fingers (feeling those tiny threads is a bit tough) and then working it with a ratchet/impact only when you're sure that it's going correctly.

On our first car (the 2002 MCS club racer) that lower thread (in steel) got stripped out and we just put a nut on the backside where the long bolt stuck out. worked good enough.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:33 AM
sm2dan
2nd Gear
Thanks for the tips, I'm actually going into the garage today to do the work on my wife's car.

d

Old 09-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
this problem is exactly why they changed the shock design to include the washer.

I think the appropriate way to install the R53 rear struts is to seat the washer in the trailing arm, then align the strut and insert the bolt, the washer will insure the bolt is entering the threads correctly.... I'm tired, I hope my garbled explanation makes sence.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:19 AM
sm2dan
2nd Gear
Yep, the washer helped me align the bolt and it went in nicely. I've gotta figure out a clunk up front, though :/

d

Old 09-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
Loose swaybar end link...

Old 09-07-2007, 01:45 PM
peddani
2nd Gear
He found it...Loose ball joint.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:28 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by peddani
He found it...Loose ball joint.
I have the same clunking up front as well. The clunking occurred before I swapped to Koni's up front and it continues after the Koni's are in. I wonder if I too have a loose Ball joint because I am 1000% sure everything I installed is tight.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:01 PM
sm2dan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OasisT
I have the same clunking up front as well. The clunking occurred before I swapped to Koni's up front and it continues after the Koni's are in. I wonder if I too have a loose Ball joint because I am 1000% sure everything I installed is tight.
Mine was obvious, I don't know how you guys took it apart to get the front struts in, but I loosened the 2 21mm bolts at the balljoint and I forgot to tighten up the drivers side properly, that was my clunk. The Mini has been quiet this week (at least my wife isn't complaining on her daily drives!) but I put in the end links tomorrow and do another alignment.

d

Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
I found the issue. My drivers side motor mount had all three bolts COMPLETELY LOOSE! One bolt was almost all the way out. I guess the factory forgot to tighten. Makes me wonder what else might be loose.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Built-by-Bones
2nd Gear
COMPLETELY LOOSE! Makes me wonder what else might be loose.
I'd check the nut behind the steering wheel.

Sorry Craig, that was too easy

Old 09-13-2007, 11:29 AM
sm2dan
2nd Gear
bones! where have you been all year?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:37 AM
OasisT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Built-by-Bones
I'd check the nut behind the steering wheel.

Sorry Craig, that was too easy
hahaha, unfortunately, I don't have a wrench to tighten that one. Anyway, if it takes me opening the door for a joke on me to get you on here, I'll have to lure you in more often. hahaha See you in 2 weeks. ;-)

Old 09-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Built-by-Bones
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sm2dan
bones! where have you been all year?
Sold the 05 Mini in June, it will be at Nats this year I believe. I finally believe those guys who told me how expensive stock class was, needing to buy the latest Mini every couple of years is not cheap.

I have not travelled much this season, been trying to resurrect the Time Trials program here in Colorado, I am chief steward. We have been running with our road racers in their regional events, and we are having a great time. Been having a lot of fun in the 03 Cooper S that is set up for the track (still for sale).

With all the track time, I have been having a hard time figuring out why I used to spend all day in a parking lot for 3 or 4 runs. We get at least an hour of seat time a day at the track, and it is fun giving the M3's a run for their money.

I will see you guys at Nats, I am driving Jesse Caudhill's Civic in STS, although I swore I'd never run at Nats in a 2 WD again. I am 3 for 3 with bad weather at Nats, and keep telling myself AWD is the way to go.

Latest project is a totalled Suby STi, that I will be building for the Colorado hillclimb series in 08, with hopefully enough funds to run the Pikes Peak hillclimb next year too. And I have a road racing buddy who has been allowing me quite a bit of seat time in his Radical, he is worse than a crack dealer - and I hate to say I am hooked. (someone buy my road race Mini so I can get my own damn Radical, pleeeeeease)

Carol has expanded the clinic staff again, and she keeps me chained behind the desk and computer more than I would like.

I am looking forward to Nats, I just hope I don't bring the bad weather with me again.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:11 AM
GSharp
1st Gear
Hey Bones, good to hear you're still among the living.

We all need to get together at one of the local watering holes in Topeka and swap some more racing stories like we did at the Evo school in Wendover last year. Is Carol coming too?

GH

Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Built-by-Bones
2nd Gear
GH, I have been following your progress this year, and it appears you like the 07 just fine. looks like GS will be an even tougher battle than last year, good luck to all.

I am definitely up for a few beers while in Topeka, let me know where and when.

I'll be travelling solo (pun intended) this year. Business at the clinic has really picked up after a couple of quiet quarters, so Carol will be staying at home to keep an eye on things. She has driven locally at a few events, and is doing well. Her thyroid operation last year, and the subsequent crap with her eyes (fairly common with thyroid/Graves disease) definitely affected her more than she let on. Finally at the beginning of this year, she changed eye docs, and they prescribed special lenses for her glasses to help her deal with the blurry 3D vision she was having. She suddenly realized how bad her vision had been, and I think that affected her driving last year, more than even she was aware of.

Her vision seems to have settled, and in another 6 months or so, she will have a final operation to get her vision back to normal. Been very frustrating for her.

That is most of the reason why we decided to step back from National competition a little this season. Along with me wanting to get the Time Trials program back on it's feet.

See everyone in a couple weeks time, heck we should be in the midst of final day competition in exactly two weeks time.