Drivetrain Diverter Valve Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 06:42 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Diverter Valve Spacer

Hey guys, I wanted to throw this out there.

I installed a Forge Diverter Valve Spacer... got one cheap prolly a factory defect one. came with a few burrs on the piece luckily I work in a machine shop.. took care of that and made sure the mating surfaces were flat. then I installed it... which wasn't too complicated.

1.) remove the intake tube from the turbo to air box. this includes removing the pcv valve port off the tube and some other bypass. the maf sensor also was unplugged.

2.) removed the bolt holding onto the coolant overflow tank. moved this to the side

3.) removed the vacuum hose going into the waste gate

4.) removed the 3 bolts holding on to the spacer. this was somewhat difficult since my 3/8th allen heads wouldn't fit, so I had to use a normal allen wrench. they are 5mm btw. mini used some sort of Teflon tape as a thread locker, this made it even more difficult

5.) moved the diverter valve to the side (still plugged in)

6.) checked the fitment of the spacer since it can only go on 1 way, the bolt circle is not even

7.) ended up finding that one of the holes was interfering with the wastegate actuator. so I had to take a file and relieve that corner by a few mm. kept checking fitment as I filed down

8.) ended up going right in afterwards. used the supplied bolts and torqued everything down to what feels right

9.) then installed everything in reverse order

then went for a drive. I thought it was going to be dumb loud. its not. I can barley hear it windows up and then with windows down its a faint sneeze. I have no codes and I boosted hard the first day a few times to listen to the music. still have no codes and the car drives fine. its fun to listen to it open and close the diverter valve. also with the roof popped I could no longer hear it after 3rd gear at 40 mph (windows closed)

I also have stock intake box and stock tune. I cant say with an extra 8-12 psi that this would necessarily be the same, but I am enjoying it right now!

Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Cool! The diverter valve spacer was the first mod to my R55, and while not adding any performance, the sounds make the drive much more fun

Old 04-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
ya im used to my straight pipe r53 with open intake the r60 was way too quiet in stock form haha I needed something

Old 04-12-2017, 09:16 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Good to hear it fits ok. With extra boost it really sings (at least it did on my old R56)