Drivetrain Can someone summarize the tune options for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 05:54 PM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Can someone summarize the tune options for me?

Tried to use search but it's hard to find the information I'm looking for when it's spread out all over the place.

What I'd like to know is all of the ECU tune options for the R60S, what the hp/torque increase is, weather the ECU has to be shipped off, and whether it's reversible to stock in case of warranty work. Assume cat back (2nd cat and resonator delete), better intake, and maybe a better intercooler. Please include all types, ECU flash, piggyback, OBD2, dash tuner, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
There is only one real option for the R60 the Manic
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...e-r60-r61.html

You will have to ship the ECU in, or bring the car in if close enough. But it's not bad having to ship as we have a 24hr turn around.

For HP and Torque gains please don't get hung up on numbers. People always ask as they are wanting a big number and tuners will throw out a number to make you happy and buy. But the reality is the numbers are always going to vary as there are so many variables that go into it. Engine Age/compression/health, turbo health, boost you run, intake temps, mods you have, timing chain wear, and so on. So the numbers are just a guess and the important thing is you need to know you will get gains, and with the more and better mods you'll gain even more so the gains could be 20-60hp and 40-80tq. It's a big range, but can promise you'll notice.

If you get the switch you can switch back to the stock tune, otherwise the tune is on all the time.

Piggy back tuners just don't work well or make real numbers. Especially when you compare the cost to HP.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-21-2017, 03:32 AM
HasAnMTBProblem
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Does that remote tuner you guys have work on r60? Does that give you the same manic tune? How does that work?

Old 03-21-2017, 04:02 AM
potxoli
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a used JB+ for $200 from NAM. You can certainly feel the difference and on my ultraguage peak boost has gone from 14psi to 17psi. The consensus of this forum is the manic stage 1 offers even more impressive gains, but that is closer to $700 if you get the change maps on the fly button which seems like a must have. See this thread with the gentlemen's answer to my question:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-booster.html

I will probably switch to manic as I run out of warranty. Nice thing about the JB+ is how it can be removed in 10 seconds before going to the dealer.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Countryman97s
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the JB+ and my boost now goes to 16-17psi. when i go bigger turbo i will be getting a custom tune by a local race shop on the dyno. Yes Manic is a great choice but i can kill 2 bird with 1 stone by gettin a dyno tune. also for me the tune is cheaper than a stage 3 tune by manic thats another reason why im doing it

Old 03-22-2017, 02:12 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by HasAnMTBProblem
Does that remote tuner you guys have work on r60? Does that give you the same manic tune? How does that work?
sorry it doesn't as it will only work for the N14 version.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-24-2017, 03:17 PM
bmalay
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
There is only one real option for the R60 the Manic
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...e-r60-r61.html

You will have to ship the ECU in, or bring the car in if close enough. But it's not bad having to ship as we have a 24hr turn around.

For HP and Torque gains please don't get hung up on numbers. People always ask as they are wanting a big number and tuners will throw out a number to make you happy and buy. But the reality is the numbers are always going to vary as there are so many variables that go into it. Engine Age/compression/health, turbo health, boost you run, intake temps, mods you have, timing chain wear, and so on. So the numbers are just a guess and the important thing is you need to know you will get gains, and with the more and better mods you'll gain even more so the gains could be 20-60hp and 40-80tq. It's a big range, but can promise you'll notice.

If you get the switch you can switch back to the stock tune, otherwise the tune is on all the time.

Piggy back tuners just don't work well or make real numbers. Especially when you compare the cost to HP.
Can you elaborate on how piggy back tuners don't work well or make real numbers?

From this forum, it seems like everyone who installs a JB+ (Including myself) loves the thing, not to mention the dyno numbers proving "real numbers." Plus the whole DIY aspect of it is pretty awesome.

Of course an ecu flash is going to be more comprehensive and create some better numbers. The advantages of a piggyback over a tune are this:

Total cost of ownership when done with the tune/car: $0-$100 vs $700+
Hidden from Factory Warranty vs Not
DIY in 15 seconds vs send in your ECU (risking big $$$ if ecu is lost/damaged), or drive to tuner
Modest tune vs Aggressive tune (more aggressive = more power = more wear)

From my perspective - if you are looking to squeeze every ounce of power out of your Mini with comprehensive mods, and you have a large budget to modify, go with a Manic tune.

If you want to be cost effective with your mods, with a conservative DIY tune, with the ability to always go to a Manic tune if the JB+ isnt enough, go with a JB+.

My $0.02.