Drivetrain Just about ready to install mods!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:28 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just about ready to install mods!

So over the last few months I've been accumulating parts, and I'm just about ready to get them installed. Just waiting on the turbo to finish getting rebuilt (been three months now, but the guy says he should get it done this week). So here is the list of mods I have done:

Intake- http://www.waymotorworks.com/ddmwork...et-intake.html
Catless Downpipe
2.5” straight through exhaust
Forge Diverter Valve (running red spring)
Front mount intercooler
Stage 2+ Manic Tune done by Eurotech
Evo spark plugs

Parts to get installed soon:

Hybrid K03 Turbo- purchased from NAM member, he did not inform me it was blown but luckily I sent it to a local turbo company to have it checked. The company is reputable, but extremely busy, they've had the turbo three months now.
Oil lines for new turbo- http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-sta...-line-kit.html
Exhaust header- http://www.waymotorworks.com/turbo-e...5-r56-r57.html
Header/turbo gaskets- http://www.waymotorworks.com/gasket-3-piece-set.html
Aquamist HFS-4- http://www.aquamist-direct.com/806-0...ystem-to-date/
Tank for methanol injection system- http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...roducts_id=349
Gauge pod for Methanol gauge- http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...guage_pod.html
Need to upgrade my stage 2+ tune to a stage 3 Manic tune

So hopefully I get the turbo end of the week, then get car into shop the following week. I will give updates as I get them, and after some turbo break in time and an oil change I'll take my countryman "Giles" to the Dyno and let you guys know what I'm putting down with the listed mods.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:41 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
clutch?

Well turbo still at the shop. I started thinking however, which is never good, that with all mods i'm doing my hp and torque is going to be approaching (or just over) 300. Will my stock clutch be able to handle this? Countryman's already have a bad history with their stock clutches, so i'm thinking maybe i'll get that done too. Any suggestions on a good performance clutch?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:21 AM
3leafz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like it will be making some decent amount of power from this little beast. Can't wait to see the dyno graph!

Old 03-26-2015, 07:15 AM
kohlersc
1st Gear
Which intercooler did you use by chance, and how well did it fit?

Old 03-26-2015, 07:46 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kohlersc
Which intercooler did you use by chance, and how well did it fit?
I went with a FMIC off of ebay. It was $230 and I couldn't be happier with it. It was listed as an R56 FMIC, but after speaking with Way at Waymotorworks, he told me to just get an R56 one. No trimming needed, extremely nice fit.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:32 PM
kohlersc
1st Gear
You don't happen to know the vendor or part type do you...I am very much interested in getting one that will work well and fits perfectly without any modification.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:02 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
You don't happen to know the vendor or part type do you...I am very much interested in getting one that will work well and fits perfectly without any modification.
Here is a link to one by the same seller. I found one that was black, but otherwise should be the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-MOUNT-POLISH-INTERCOOLER-FOR-BMW-MINI-COOPER-S-R56-R57-2007-2012-/131465569913?fits=Model%3ACooper&hash=item1e9bf56679&vxp=mtr

Old 03-26-2015, 08:09 PM
kohlersc
1st Gear
Thank you I will check that one out.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:38 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
I got my turbo today!!!!! It's rebuilt and ready for install. I've got the shop lined up and am getting everything started on monday! Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have all my new goodies on. I will keep everyone posted.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 04-20-2015, 08:37 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Giles is officially dropped off at the shop and should be getting his K03 42mm heart installed, in order to support his new meth addiction. Hopefully I will have him back by this weekend and can start fine tuning things, and give a full report next week.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:47 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
The turbo is on, I have the ECU with stage 3 back from Eurotechs (love those guys), but ran into a snag. They installed the new turbo with the old exhaust manifold, not the new one from WMW. I have a rental car while my car is in the shop, and to have them take off the turbo and manifold to put the WMW on would mean I have to get the rental over the weekend. So I posted it for sale in the mini parts forum along with my stock turbo with 30,000 trouble free miles. I know we're talking about only a couple horsepower and an ever so slightly better spool time, but I'm pretty down I'm not getting the header on. So, hope someone can make good use of it. The shop is installing my meth kit today and I should have my car back tomorrow.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:42 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Finally got the car back today, turbo installed, meth kit not so much. So what, I'll get it finished another time. My issue is that with my stage 3 tune and my 42 mm turbo I'm only getting 12.4 psi of boost in any map. Does this sound like a possible wastegate adjustment? Is my freshly rebuilt turbo bad? I'm not throwing any CEL, and besides being low on boost it rides fine. Builds boost nicely until I hit 12.4 and then.....

Old 05-12-2015, 06:11 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Update

So...........all is not well. The turbo I bought off a NAM member and had rebuilt is done. Never was able to get more than 14 psi out of it, and never will. There is no way to know if something went wrong during install that caused it too fail, or if it was bad from the get go. On the bright side I ordered an E45R from JMTC. Now that I can adjust the wastegate with no problem, I shouldn't have any issues as long as I take it easy after it's installed. Hopefully my next update will have me motoring with a nice fast countryman. It better, my credit lines are all maxed out after all I've been through this last month....

Old 05-13-2015, 06:11 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Ouch, after they had the turbo 3 months , it was still bad!? That freaking blows!.... or no it doesn't in this case....

Well, I sure hope it goes better next time. Any idea how long before JMTC sends out the new turbo?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:14 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Ouch, after they had the turbo 3 months , it was still bad!? That freaking blows!.... or no it doesn't in this case....

Well, I sure hope it goes better next time. Any idea how long before JMTC sends out the new turbo?
It should mail out monday at the latest. So if all goes well I can get my turbo installed over next weekend.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:26 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Crossing my fingers for you! I know how these things go. I had a recent struggle with an Aero Kit that took an extra 3 weeks to resolve. Glad its over Hope everything goes as planned!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Over a month later, another new turbo, E45R from JMTC, and just got the car back from the new shop today. Car is amazing! Sad that it took over a month of my car not being driveable, and way too much money, but all is well now. I am overboosting by just under 1 psi, so a little adjustment on the wastegate tomorrow. The meth kit is still only half installed......but that's a headache for another day. For now my car is back, and it screams with the new JMTC turbo.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 PM
kohlersc
1st Gear
Yay! Picture time of all the parts and internals.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:14 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
yay! Picture time of all the parts and internals.
+1!

Old 04-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Beau B
1st Gear
In for pics.. congrats on getting all together and running.. definitely can be stressful when it is your primary transportation..

Old 04-04-2016, 07:38 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Been awhile since I posted any updates. I actually just got my countryman on the dyno this last weekend. Made 254.66 hp at the wheels. I'm very happy with that. I was on my stage 3 manic tune on the B map (I still haven't gotten the meth injection installed and haven't found convenient 100 octane).

Old 08-02-2016, 10:04 PM
teinesina
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mentioned a headache with the meth kit install. Anything in particular? I am going to have it installed but is there anything I can tell them to watch out for? aquamist hfs-4. i dont think they have ever done a countryman before, but they have done meth kits in general.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:09 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Well, I haven't had the meth kit finished still. The shop installed some wiring from the trunk to the engine compartment, and the jet into the intake. They had never installed the HFS-4 before and assumed it would be simple like any other meth kit. They didn't realize he complexity and intricate wiring involved and were unable to do it. I was able through this forum to obtain the correct mini R56 installation guide, but just don't have the drive or money right now to give it another go. I'm happy with where my car is right now, and it's pretty well maxxed out without dropping major dollars into the engine and fueling system.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:31 AM
teinesina
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by countrymanman
Well, I haven't had the meth kit finished still. The shop installed some wiring from the trunk to the engine compartment, and the jet into the intake. They had never installed the HFS-4 before and assumed it would be simple like any other meth kit. They didn't realize he complexity and intricate wiring involved and were unable to do it. I was able through this forum to obtain the correct mini R56 installation guide, but just don't have the drive or money right now to give it another go. I'm happy with where my car is right now, and it's pretty well maxxed out without dropping major dollars into the engine and fueling system.
Haha, I hear ya! Okay well that's good to know, I will ask them if they have ever dealt with a hfs-4 before.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Just about ready to install mods!