Drivetrain what ecu upgrade should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:38 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what ecu upgrade should i do?

Hello all, new to the forums and now a month into owning my 2012 countryman s. I have put on the short ram intake and a 2.5 cat back. I want to take the first real power step and get an ecu upgrade, but I live in utah. So I don't exactly have tuning options locally. I also can't be without my car for days trying to mail my ecu around. You guys got any ideas? I've been looking into vrtuning and ecutuninggroup.com. anyone know anything about either of these companies? I'm leaning towards them because I can flash my ecu myself with either of these supposedly.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:27 PM
52804x4
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-23-2014, 01:09 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
I read over the article and went to the company's website, the jb+ sounds like it may work for what I'm looking for,but I can't find the "can tool" so I can learn more about making adjustments. If I'm understanding right, the jb+ will up my boost and adjust my a\f. But it doesn't lift the speed limitor or let me adjust rev limit, or really make any adjustments, save for the can tool that can "kick it up a notch". Only if I have the appropriate addons that make it safe for me to go further then the default setting. So where can I learn more about the can tool, and the other power settings of the jb+? Also does anyone know about vrtuning or ecutuninggroup and there home tuners?

Old 03-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Blackstallion
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Search this: Burger motorsport (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this thread and read through it. I'm sure most of your questions have already been answered on here.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:34 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Blackstallion
Search this: Burger motorsport (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this thread and read through it. I'm sure most of your questions have already been answered on here.
I'm reading through page after page, but no offense, I want to know what the can tool is, and what it can do according to the manufacturer. I can't find it on their website, but want to know their claims on it before I buy it because a person suggested it as an option on a forum I just joined. Is it called something else on their website?

Old 03-23-2014, 07:09 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I can't find the CAN tool on their site anymore either. It doesn't do anything essential. Reads codes, and it can hijack the gauges to display boost, AFR, and timing advance.

If you're looking for more than a few pounds of boost, I'd check out the NM tune: http://www.nm-eng.com/nmchip-nm-eng-ecu-tuning.html

There's also Renntech, ETG, Manic. See thread here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...9050&styleid=8

Old 03-23-2014, 07:35 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't look at ETG.

RennTech, NM, PAW(Precision Auto Werks), Group4auto, and DNA/Wagner motorsports(NC, can do N18s for $579). Best options but RennTech is super expensive when you can get similar results with the likes of PAW or Group4auto. DNA/Wagner said they can do custom tunes for the N18 and shipping back is included in the price!

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
If you can wait a month or two, flash tuning via the obd2 port will become available for the N18 engine.

With regard to the JB+, the Can tool is no longer available and all it does is monitor engine parameters anyway so there are much better devices to monitor and log these same parameters, namely the smart phone app DashCommand, Torque is another.

BMS also sells Bavarian Technic cable which is also much better but I've heard it does not work well with the N18, you need to confirm that though.

I would suggest to patient for the flash tuning.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
We've had many customers happy with the JB Module

http://www.waymotorworks.com/jb-plug...18-engine.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Dude, you are SO far from wanting a tune...

Old 03-24-2014, 04:02 AM
GP0256
5th Gear
If you want the quickest, most cost effective way to make your car have mor grunt, the JB+ is the way to go. It is also easily reversible and you can take it off before or when you get to the dealer for maintenance and have a lot less likelihood of voiding your warranty or having them wipe it out with a reflash of the ECU because you are having issues with windows, or the moonroof, or anything else which is run by the ecu (basically the entire car!). We are very happy with the JB+ and I think with your mods, this is the way to go.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:15 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
Dude, you are SO far from wanting a tune...
Could you explain? Or are you just trolling?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We've had many customers happy with the JB Module

http://www.waymotorworks.com/jb-plug...18-engine.html
I did buy my intake from you guys, if I decide to go with the jb+ I'll look you guys up again

Old 03-24-2014, 06:51 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
I don't troll. You are wanting to tune an otherwise almost untouched engine. The cat-back is basically a money wasting sound enhancer and who knows what a "short ram intake" is... I'm assuming that you have pulled the air box and added an open filter which basically pulls hotter engine compartment air into your turbo. Turbos don't need "ram air" (look up the phrase). The fact that you are wanting others to tell you what to do instead of going through the hassle of actually reading the hundreds of threads on this issue and doing additional study speaks volumes. You won't get as much out of whatever tune you get with stock parts but if you like the idea of having a tune...

Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by melangell
i don't troll. You are wanting to tune an otherwise almost untouched engine. The cat-back is basically a money wasting sound enhancer and who knows what a "short ram intake" is... I'm assuming that you have pulled the air box and added an open filter which basically pulls hotter engine compartment air into your turbo. Turbos don't need "ram air" (look up the phrase). The fact that you are wanting others to tell you what to do instead of going through the hassle of actually reading the hundreds of threads on this issue and doing additional study speaks volumes. You won't get as much out of whatever tune you get with stock parts but if you like the idea of having a tune...
+1

Old 03-24-2014, 12:56 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
I don't troll. You are wanting to tune an otherwise almost untouched engine. The cat-back is basically a money wasting sound enhancer and who knows what a "short ram intake" is... I'm assuming that you have pulled the air box and added an open filter which basically pulls hotter engine compartment air into your turbo. Turbos don't need "ram air" (look up the phrase). The fact that you are wanting others to tell you what to do instead of going through the hassle of actually reading the hundreds of threads on this issue and doing additional study speaks volumes. You won't get as much out of whatever tune you get with stock parts but if you like the idea of having a tune...
I've had my car for, like I said originally, a month now. I put a DDM intake on it. It's not a CAI, since I have yet to see a TRUE CAI for this car. Therefore it is called a short "ram" intake. I'm under the impression that improving airflow, especially in a turbo vehicle, is a good thing. So why not put a catback system on, and follow with the downpipe when I can. I know I'm not getting any big hp gains from a simple intake and cat back, but again I've had the car for a month, and am building. A tune, FMIC, and aluminum intake piping make sense to me as my next steps. I'm sorry you have nothing better to do then troll this forum and be as vague as possible about the "advice" you give. I promise I won't listen to anything you say anymore, or pay you any further attention. Have a nice day.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:00 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
If you can wait a month or two, flash tuning via the obd2 port will become available for the N18 engine.

With regard to the JB+, the Can tool is no longer available and all it does is monitor engine parameters anyway so there are much better devices to monitor and log these same parameters, namely the smart phone app DashCommand, Torque is another.

BMS also sells Bavarian Technic cable which is also much better but I've heard it does not work well with the N18, you need to confirm that though.

I would suggest to patient for the flash tuning.
I think you're right, maybe I'll get an FMIC in the meantime until obd2 flash tuning is available. Thanks for the insight.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Sigh... Chuckle.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:56 AM
Nmagnum7
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put a Alta sticker on both my driver and passenger door. Butt dyno feels at least a 20whp gain. I might be under estimating, but not exactly sure.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:27 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Nmagnum7
I put a Alta sticker on both my driver and passenger door. Butt dyno feels at least a 20whp gain. I might be under estimating, but not exactly sure.
20 souds about right unless you got really big stickers. Then your prolly up around 40-50 hp

Old 12-29-2016, 04:49 PM
AllBlack05S
4th Gear
Those JB "tune" module afrs look horrible on the dyno sheet posted on Way's site I'll be avoiding that product.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:14 PM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Find MarioKart on here, name is Mario Palza. He can hook you up with a solid tune. Let em know Adam sent you!