Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN) Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (C.O.R.N.) club forum.

Anyone interested in....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:10 PM
WildThang
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone interested in....

A drive across northern Nebraska?

We are trying to see how many members are interested and when is a good time for everyone.

Our idea is to start near South Sioux City NE, and drive west to Niobrara and Valentine NE. I have a route planned and we would cross the Missouri River four times before Niobrara NE. From Niobrara to Valentine, two lane highways through some interesting country. We think this should be an over night trip. Drive all day, spend the night and then we're unsure about what the group would enjoy doing around Valentine. There is Fort Niobrara just east of Valentine, and about 20 miles south is national wildlife refuge, and 20 miles south west is a national forest.

The drive time out there would be close to 10 hours probably. A long day to be sure. We'd need a nice early start on the first day.

We suggest doing this over a weekend, leave on a saturday, and spend the night in Valentine, and it's up to the group if we do something as a group on sunday, before we all head home.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Old 06-13-2010, 04:08 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds expensive.

There is no way I'd be able to do a two day event, schedule and cost wise.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:36 PM
smieska
3rd Gear
It depends on dates for us. After all, this is Motorcycle season and most of our free time when its not raining is spent on the bikes. We have a couple of bike trips planned for July and August so if we are free we may be interested.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:19 AM
moltenhalo
3rd Gear
I'm interested, but probably not possible until September.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 PM
WildThang
4th Gear
My wife and I were discussing the trip/route, and an option is to stay in Niobrara for the night, then venture on west Valentine the next day.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Rainman768
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WildThang
My wife and I were discussing the trip/route, and an option is to stay in Niobrara for the night, then venture on west Valentine the next day.
That would make for a longer drive home. Not necessarily a bad thing. I might actually let my wife drive.

Were you thinking there are better places to stay or better things to do in Niobrara or just give us an opportunity to socialize more with a shorter Saturday drive?

It would also open up the door for those unable to make an over-nighter to accompany the first leg of the journey, visit for a while and make the return trip home.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 AM
WildThang
4th Gear
Exactly Rainman. If we stop in Niobrara for a night,folks can call it there and make it back to the Omaha area before it's late, and yes, spending the night there does make for a real long drive home. Early starts if we do the Niobrara overnight I suppose. If we go mid summer, even into August the sun is up late, makes an interesting drive up there at dusk.

Between South Sioux City and Niobrara we cross the Missouri River four times, 2 cool bridges, and 2 dams. Picture opportunities! There is Niobrara State Park and we had planned on going through there as well. Got some other ideas for stops on the routes. I'll write it up this week, and plot the route.

Out near Valentine is a National Forest, and a Wildlife Reserve. The reserve is cool, you can drive in and see wildlife such as elk. Prairie dog villages, etc. There is also Smith Falls on the route up to Valentine, it's a private place now, and it's up to the group about that one. It's a short hike to the actual falls, but they're awesome.

I'll dig on places to stay at both this week. Can't remember anything in either place that stands out. Open to recommendations!

Old 06-25-2010, 06:47 AM
moltenhalo
3rd Gear
I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I imagine the timing will determine whether I can get away or not. Summer has gotten a bit crazy.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Beebe
3rd Gear
In theory, I'm very interested. Sounds like a great activity. In practice, the soonest I could do it would be September and it would depend on my work schedule.

I'm watching this thread!

Old 06-26-2010, 03:18 PM
WildThang
4th Gear
Well...it looks like September is a popular month for a road trip.

Mr & Mrs Rainman and my wife and I have discussed this and we think we'll shorten the trip up so that it's only to Niobrara.

Stay tuned...

Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 PM
WildThang
4th Gear
We'll be scouting this cruise late July. After the scouting cruise we'll set a September date and post the info.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 AM
moltenhalo
3rd Gear
Looking forward to seeing what route you put together. I'm definitely interested, although lately work has been crazy so we'll see.