North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-owners-of-rural-nebraska-corn-164/)
-   -   MINI's Carving the Black Hills....Making Plans (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-owners-of-rural-nebraska-corn/156877-minis-carving-the-black-hills-making-plans.html)

Zyamfier 10-25-2008 05:05 PM

MINI's Carving the Black Hills....Making Plans

Fellow CORN Members and fine friends.

Carving the Black Hills
"It's Monu-Mental"
In Cooperation with several other area MINI Clubs in the area the wheels have been set in motion for a MINI tour of the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Currently, The consensus has been to hold the event over the three days of 15-17 May 2009 (the weekend before Memorial Day)

My plan if it works is to have the Clubs gather at Carhenge located just North of Alliance, Nebraska driving the rest of the way through the sandhills as a group to arrive at our destination.

Route planned from Kearney, NE

You may see several screen names chime in on this thread. Several of my friends from the Dragon, MINI's in the Mountains and other events had discussed this at the Dragon this year as we have done that event for the past several years and are looking for something new.

Any suggestions you have for this trip are welcome.

rvan220 10-25-2008 06:32 PM

I'm all for it. I have been wanting to go to the Black Hills for quite some time now. The roads should be nice and fun to take the MINI on and it will be something different. So Sign me up.

Zyamfier 10-25-2008 06:46 PM

Just keep an eye here and you will be informed.
Also, Keep in mind it will still be cold up there. However, that just means fewer mobile homes plugging up the works.
:razz:

AutoXCooper.com 10-25-2008 09:59 PM

Sweet! There have been a few of us in the Chicago area that have talked about going west for the Black Hills.

Thanks for stepping up and leading the way west. :thumbsup:

Will add it to the list of events for 2009.

Beebe 10-26-2008 04:38 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks for the advance notice! I usually can't get time off work on short notice; so this one's a real possibility for me.

oldsbear 10-26-2008 06:08 AM

I made the mistake of doing the Black Hills last August. SUVs and RVs were doing a good 10 mph on the curves. :impatient: I asked a local merchant when the tourists go away. He suggested February. Otherwise, there's a season for bus tourists, for vacationers, for skiers, for hunters . . . . no time for turning my MINI loose and doing those twisties at 15+ mph :nod: :sad:

AutoXCooper.com 10-26-2008 08:35 AM

It's been added to our 2009 Event List. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=156504

Zyamfier 10-26-2008 05:46 PM

In an attempt to spark more interest in the roads in the Black Hills I went searching on Youtube. Most of what I have found has been poor quality hand held stuff but I did find one that has a good feel to it.

Gil-galad 10-26-2008 06:14 PM

FYI, one of our intrepid EIM couples made a solo trip up that direction this fall and were nice enough to post some fantastic motoring pics on Flickr. The Black Hills photos certainly sparked my interest; maybe they'll do the same for your folk. :nod:

Here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3028273...7607891134101/

Zyamfier 10-26-2008 06:31 PM

I forgot about Reptile Gardens. The last time I was up there was '91. Drove my CRX and just laughed at those speed warning signs. Mostly for RV's and such.

mj_11 10-28-2008 09:03 AM

Looking at my schedual now, it is looking open. I can help in anyway. I have been to the Hills many times and it is a lot of fun. Lots to do and everything is a drive to get to no matter where you stay. I think the best areas would be around Deadwood and Spearfish because of Needles highway. Yes the speeds can be slow, but May should be good because kids are still in school. We can do a second route from the Sioux Falls area if people come from the east. 90 is boring but once you hit Chamberlain it gets a little better.

mj_11 10-28-2008 09:05 AM

Let me know if you need anymore help! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Gil-galad 10-28-2008 10:00 AM

So is CORN leading the coordination effort for this event, or is MINI5280? I'm getting confused by the multiple coordination threads in the affected club forums.

Anyway it's a great idea, and I'm glad that mj_11 and the MINI-haha group have an event that they can use to rally local interest and participation.

mj_11 10-28-2008 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gil-galad (Post 2528969)
So is CORN leading the coordination effort for this event, or is MINI5280? I'm getting confused by the multiple coordination threads in the affected club forums.

Anyway it's a great idea, and I'm glad that mj_11 and the MINI-haha group have an event that they can use to rally local interest and participation.

It's not really local,we are actually closer to Mineapolis, Omaha and even Kansas City than we are to the Hills! But it is still cool! I love the Hills because it's so pretty!

Zyamfier 10-28-2008 02:21 PM

The coordination is between several clubs thus the multiple threads. The ball was set in motion for this event last May when several of us that go to the Dragon every year decided we would not be attending the Dragon in favor of something different. Jsouz (5280), Zyamfier (CORN), and Zinful (St.Louis) as well as several others are attending this event. There is no NAM coordination behind this event thus each club is taking care of it's own and the three individuals above are hearding cats between the clubs.
Hope that helps....
If you want some more info please PM me.

Jim
The "Kernel" of CORN

Zyamfier 10-30-2008 05:22 PM

When I say monu-MENTAL this would qualify

Nice that this route ends at Reptile Gardens
This is North on Neck Yoke Road

AutoXCooper.com 10-30-2008 06:25 PM

^^^ :razz: anyone know how much bail money I should bring? :grin:

Zyamfier 10-30-2008 06:48 PM

Iron Mountain Road, SD

tancred 10-31-2008 08:42 AM

Hi everybody! I've had my Clubman for almost a month now, and I love love love it. I was actually thinking of making a Black Hills run a couple of weeks ago, but then I had to pay sales tax, Douglas County property tax, and registration on my new baby (ouch!), and the very next day my home's water heater croaked (double ouch!!). I'm marking my calendar for this, if I may. Sounds like a blast!

I hope to meet some of you before then. If you see a CR/B Clubman with bonnet stripes tearing about, that's probably me! I do wave, and I enjoy talking with other MINI owners! :)

Zyamfier 11-02-2008 12:22 PM

This just in from the 5280 forum....
Travel Channel special Mt Rushmore 3PM Central today. Sunday 2, November.

JMike 11-03-2008 05:41 AM

This all sounds great. I'm just keeping an eye out as it progresses and would love to join in but as of right now we already had 2 small vacations planned for next summer and not sure if I can fit in another one. But if either of these others fall through, then I will definitely be there.

Zyamfier 11-04-2008 05:20 PM

What's it hurt to add another vacation? Hope to see you make this one Mike.

D3m0N 12-14-2008 02:16 PM

This is sounding really good to me right now

Eastern Iowa MINI's also has this on our calendar.

JECooperAF 12-19-2008 05:50 PM

This definitely sounds like a blast, I'll definitely be attending if I'm around... keep me posted

deanman 12-19-2008 06:53 PM

I'm planning on it, too!!