Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Cooper on a Diet

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:56 PM
justbob
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper on a Diet

Has anyone compiled a list of all of the things--parts, options, carpeting, seats, ashtrays, not the wheels--that you can strip off a Cooper and still be street legal in the U.S.?

It seems to me (a multiple MCS and Subie Impreza owner) that the big advantage the MC enjoys is its light weight. Instead of trying to increase HP on my next buy (an 04 Cooper--okay, I'll try a couple of simple things in that direction), I'd like to go on a weight reduction plan and get the HP/Weight ratio down as low as possible.

I did a couple of quick searches, but didn't come up with anything. Over on the Honda Civic forum, one guy actually did a step-by-step removal of parts from his car, weighed each one, and made a spreadsheet. It was really handy (okay, okay, I've owned three Civics, too).

Has anyone here done anything similar, or have any information on this?

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2007, 10:41 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You mean like this? Its alot cleaner now and I still have to swap steering wheels and pull the glove box.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:42 PM
heyjay1428
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by UKSUV
You mean like this? Its alot cleaner now and I still have to swap steering wheels and pull the glove box.

LOL :D dang need to tidy up a bit in there :D

Old 03-13-2007, 10:55 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Shooooooosh!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM
justbob
2nd Gear

Dang! is right! But don't you think you'd drop the weight even more without that rubber mallet in the back?

What was up with this? Total strip down for a track car? Or just having a boring weekend?

Seriously, what have people pulled out (I know a lot of your are driving two-seaters!), and what did it weigh?

Okay, I'll admit it, I put a second ashtray into one of the two cup holders. When it's full, I figure it's about 2 ounces (or should we go metric?). Has anyone pulled the stereo, speakers, air conditioning, carpets, "glove compartment", etc etc?

I know someone has pulled the heater coil and does ANYONE have a spare tire?

Old 03-14-2007, 06:51 PM
eastmtmini
1st Gear
Remove back seat, spare tire, sunroof if you have one, but I'm not sure what you would replace it with. Lighter wheels, tires, exhaust may give you some additional weight savings. And don't forget the driver. Not insinuating anything there.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Ranzo
4th Gear
Justbob,

Check out the Italian Diet

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t=italian+diet

spreadsheet and all!

UKSUV,

Hows the car doing so far?

Old 03-15-2007, 06:21 PM
txwerks
Banned
Agreed...

I've dropped the spare (put one in the car for road trips, though!), but retained the OEM seating... Gotta haul the kids to school somehow! Seats will help shave off some weight... Also, a lightweight battery and some custom brackets shaves a lot of weight off right where you need it - off the front.

My car came in at 2655 pounds with me in it when we had it on the scales for corner-weighting. That was before I dropped in the lightweight battery - I had the car back on the scales for some other adjustments and came in right at 2600 pounds with me in it and 3/4 tank of gas. There's a LOT more weight to shed, obviously...

Old 03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ranzo
UKSUV,

Hows the car doing so far?
Don't ask.....I hope I can get this piece running in time for Vegas

Old 03-16-2007, 11:45 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
diet

the Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen addition MINI COOPER

Old 03-16-2007, 05:18 PM
mini552
4th Gear
Originally Posted by txwerks
Agreed...

I've dropped the spare (put one in the car for road trips, though!), but retained the OEM seating... Gotta haul the kids to school somehow! Seats will help shave off some weight... Also, a lightweight battery and some custom brackets shaves a lot of weight off right where you need it - off the front.

My car came in at 2655 pounds with me in it when we had it on the scales for corner-weighting. That was before I dropped in the lightweight battery - I had the car back on the scales for some other adjustments and came in right at 2600 pounds with me in it and 3/4 tank of gas. There's a LOT more weight to shed, obviously...
I'm intrigued by the lightweight battery concept when the time comes to replace OE battery. I remember some earlier threads but not sure they apply to 2006 Cooper. Anyone got specific recommendations/experience?

Old 03-17-2007, 09:11 AM
txwerks
Banned
I've got an Odyssey, but the Deka Powersports is a great one, too.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:52 PM
justintime
6th Gear
Don't ask.....I hope I can get this piece running in time for Vegas

so how much quicker did you mini feel after all that weight shavings? I know my crx felt alot different

Old 03-18-2007, 10:02 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by justintime
so how much quicker did you mini feel after all that weight shavings? I know my crx felt alot different
With all my suspension mods and "diet" mods that I have done to the car...It feels like it's gotten a helluva lot quicker...but it's still too slow for me (but Im working on it). I think its a placebo effect. Plus, I added a Stoptech BBK and an AP 6-point cage....so all the weight I pulled was just put back in. It still feels quicker than stock though. PLus, my ViS CF hood should be here tomorrow or Tues. It's in transit.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:20 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
With all my suspension mods and "diet" mods that I have done to the car...It feels like it's gotten a helluva lot quicker...but it's still too slow for me (but Im working on it). I think its a placebo effect. Plus, I added a Stoptech BBK and an AP 6-point cage....so all the weight I pulled was just put back in. It still feels quicker than stock though. PLus, my ViS CF hood should be here tomorrow or Tues. It's in transit.
Places especially to loose weight are in the brakes and rims/tires.
Unsprung weight makes a huge difference.
Stoptech BBK weighs more than stock but stops well.
What are you doing for wheels and tires??

Too bad you can't just straight pipe the exhaust and forget the rest to save weight.

If you autocross you'll be in a really competitive class of very lightweight race cars.

Road noise will increase will all of the insides gone (they helped to deaden the sound). When I drive with no rear seat the exhaust is usually nice and loud. That's why I have 800 Watts stereo power. Good thing my hearing is not so good anymore.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:28 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune

Too bad you can't just straight pipe the exhaust and forget the rest to save weight.

If you autocross you'll be in a really competitive class of very lightweight race cars.

Road noise will increase will all of the insides gone (they helped to deaden the sound). When I drive with no rear seat the exhaust is usually nice and loud. That's why I have 800 Watts stereo power. Good thing my hearing is not so good anymore.
Noise is not a problem for me... I will be running a straight pipe -> a muffler after AMVIV. Im glad I threw the cage and BBK on. I wouldnt have it any other way. Tires and rims could be a little lighter but the Exels are pretty damn light to start off with.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:49 AM
justintime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune

the resonator on my magnaflow I took off felt like an anchor! what class would that be in?