Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

A discovery for all us Non-s people

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 02:55 PM
930 Engineering
2nd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes, same fitment and tubing diameter throughout all N12 and N16 incl. Mini One models.
The only difference is the catalyst and its coating with precious metals (platinum, rhodium,
perhaps palladium), since Mini altered the quality with increasing demands over time (euro
4, euro 5, euro 6 emissions). Since you seem to be based in Sweden I'd suggest getting
the HJS cat/header combo. Better than stock (less restrictive) and much cheaper. Much
better design and built quality compared to Magnaflow. Remember the Euro spec Minis
only got one single cat (right after exhaus header), while NA spec Minis used to come with
two (header + exhaust tunnel).

If the OP is still reading: Ive, since you reported about "20 HP gains at least" (anecdotal
evidence only) I bet your stock cat was clogged, which is a pretty common issue with N12
stock cats. I wonder why this hasn't even been covered in this discussion.

Old 09-20-2021, 03:48 PM
omuroff
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 930 Engineering
Yes, same fitment and tubing diameter throughout all N12 and N16 incl. Mini One models.
The only difference is the catalyst and its coating with precious metals (platinum, rhodium,
perhaps palladium), since Mini altered the quality with increasing demands over time (euro
4, euro 5, euro 6 emissions). Since you seem to be based in Sweden I'd suggest getting
the HJS cat/header combo. Better than stock (less restrictive) and much cheaper. Much
better design and built quality compared to Magnaflow. Remember the Euro spec Minis
only got one single cat (right after exhaus header), while NA spec Minis used to come with
two (header + exhaust tunnel).

If the OP is still reading: Ive, since you reported about "20 HP gains at least" (anecdotal
evidence only) I bet your stock cat was clogged, which is a pretty common issue with N12
stock cats. I wonder why this hasn't even been covered in this discussion.
Hey,

Thank you for the precious info,

If I may ask, why not https://www.autodoc.se/vegaz/13640776? It seems to be 4-2-1 and a bit neatly built with equal length headers? I also actually don't like header pipes sticking into the flange as seen on HJS version.

But hell, ok, somehow, almost every other replacement product deviates from the original part in a good way in terms of flow.

Ömur

Old 10-05-2021, 09:10 AM
930 Engineering
2nd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes, it looks quite promising on the photo, but who is "Vegaz"? Never heard of them and I don't trust them.
They even mention:
"Kompatibel med passagerar fordon FORD Taunus 12M (Årsproduktion 07.1959 - 02.1963, 54 hk, Bensin)"
which is pretty absurd. Contrarily HJS is a reputable OEM. HJS is trustworthy. Don't cheap out on this pretty
important item. You'd risk similar fitment issues as those with the Magnaflow header. Not worth the marginal
savings.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:10 PM
omuroff
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 930 Engineering
Yes, it looks quite promising on the photo, but who is "Vegaz"? Never heard of them and I don't trust them.
They even mention:
"Kompatibel med passagerar fordon FORD Taunus 12M (Årsproduktion 07.1959 - 02.1963, 54 hk, Bensin)"
which is pretty absurd. Contrarily HJS is a reputable OEM. HJS is trustworthy. Don't cheap out on this pretty
important item. You'd risk similar fitment issues as those with the Magnaflow header. Not worth the marginal
savings.
You are completely right. I think the website messed this listing up somehow. By the way, I got some price proposals, it costs 450$ to take the old manifold out and put a new one in. At least in Sweden.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:36 AM
TBITZ
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An easy way to verify if this exhaust manifold modification has made a difference is to use an OBD2 app like https://www.carscanner.info to measure Hp using the MAF sensor.

I have a 2011 MINI non-S and use the App to monitor Hp derived from the MAF sensor. Below are screen captures that show the MIN/MAX for each gauge. This pull was done in 2nd gear, during winter (note the 9degC intake air temperature) going up a hill. I got 127Hp max. At 25degC intake temperature the power would probably be at 120Hp correcting for density.

You can also record the data, and analyze each sensor after. Plot below shows calculated Hp from MAF, intake air, and ignition timing.

Note the update rate is not very fast, so you need to do a pull in 2nd (or higher) going up a hill so that the engine doesn't rev through the RPMs to fast and the sample at peak is missed. Alternatively you can stay in 1st gear, and use the brakes to keep the engine from going to redline too fast.