Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

r50 Exhaust, short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Kumandrkrbit
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r50 Exhaust, short shifter

Hello Everyone!

I have a 2002 Cooper 5-speed base model and am looking for the best option for a cat-back exhaust, and whether or not a short-shifter is an investment worth the money. I just installed a new k&n filter and am satisfied with the results of it, and am looking for low price options to continue to modify the car. can anyone help with advice, or a list of cat-back exhausts that would fit my r50?

Old 07-27-2017, 07:03 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Easy answer
For exh the Megan is the most cost effective and many have used it.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/megan-...k-exhaust.html

For short shifter I personally like the Craven as it feels the best even when you don't shorten the throw a lot.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/craven...t-shifter.html

but if price is the concern on the shifter the helix is much more affordable
https://www.waymotorworks.com/helix-...shift-kit.html

Or for something in between but cost effective, but only has 6spd shift pattern
https://www.waymotorworks.com/value-...0-r52-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 PM
Kumandrkrbit
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your help! I have already been eyeing the Megan exhaust, and will probably proceed with buying it. As well as the short shifter.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:13 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
In car just with the GoPro stuck to my head - aFe intake and Megan exhaust. - you really can't hear much of anything

In car mic under the hood stuck between the battery box and the fuse box - aFe intake and Megan exhaust, so that sound you hear is mostly intake noise.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:30 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
I love my Megan exhaust. But you should know, youwill always and I mean ALWAYS know that it is there, no matter what RPM you areat. Sitting at a stoplight, at highway speeds, at full throttle, it willremind you and everyone around you that it is there. They say it can beused for the street, however, I think that there web site essentially says thatall their products are for off road use only, i.e. track use. It isanything but quiet. In the cool and cold air of the fall, winter and springmornings, my whole neighborhood knows when I fire up the MINI to go to work at6:30am. It does quiet down a bit after the metal warms.

You will also hear a nice little burble when you fullylift off in first gear right as the RPM's drop down past 3000. Sometimes thereis even a satisfying POP!

Full disclosure - you are not doing your motor or yourtransmission any favors by doing this. You should have theMidlands/Rover transmission from the model year you posted - made of thevery best intentions and high quality glass. Bring it up to about 3500RPM in first, hold for 2 seconds or so, lift off quickly and let the motor slowyou down. Burble! This also could be assisted from the more open intake.

I thought that you should know this before youbuy. I believe that is still is the most inexpensive by a few hundreddollars which isn't an insignificant amount of money.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:00 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
^^
Good to see you are having some track fun there. I can't wait for the next track day, and so is my Mini sporting new sneakers. BTW, is that a bad spacebar?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Appearsso.