Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Exhaust flange

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:01 AM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exhaust flange

Does anyone have a Walker part # for a flange that matches up w/ the cat flange? I was hoping to get an OEM part # from realoem, but, evidently, the original is part and parcel w/ either the cat section or the resonator section. I guess worst case, I'll trace a new gasket onto some 1/8" stock and plasma torch it out. Also, is there any reason to use the Felpro crush exhaust gasket over a (cheaper) Walker multi layer metal one?

Old 05-06-2017, 12:38 PM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
So, my local O'Reilly doesn't stock any flanges, and I didn't feel like ordering a bunch in hopes that one worked. When I went to pick up 3/16" bar stock for my strut tower reinforcing, I also grabbed some 1/4" stock to make a flange from. Since I had to buy 12", I'm going to make a couple extra and sell them in the marketplace for anyone else looking to build a custom cat-back system.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:19 PM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
So, at long last I got my exhaust in!

I have to say, I was shocked at the rigidity of the unibody when I was trying to get Cooper up on jack stands!

Front exhaust mount was definitely showing its age, and the grinder marks from cutting off the bolt head that spun was starting to rust. A little time w/ the wire brush, and a few coats of etching primer + a couple coats of under body and life is starting to look good

Home made flange welded to the pipe and the mating face polished w/ the flapper wheel (I wasn't sure it would seal at this point, TBH)

After a bit more fitting, the main body was together. I thought this would be the hard part.... spoiler alert.

I lost track of how many time I had that back in and out to get the hangers all tacked in place. The front ended up in a bit of a twist, and the rear is not the prettiest welding of all time, but it's solid and has vibration isolation.

End of the day it looks decent from the back, and it sounds a lot better than you might anticipate from a $50 cat back!

Quick Video

Old 05-14-2017, 06:55 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Shweeeet !

As Charlie Sheen says, "Winner-Winner Chicken Dinner !"

Nicely done ST3ALTHPSYCH0 !

Probably the best sounding R50 exhuast I have ever heard and beautifully ( functionally ) constructed.

Most folks only tie into one mount in the back esp R53 owners with One Ball Mods..

( Is that a Cherry Bomb Product ? )

Old 05-14-2017, 06:26 PM
ST3ALTHPSYCH0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
As Charlie Sheen says, "Winner-Winner Chicken Dinner !"

Nicely done ST3ALTHPSYCH0 !

Probably the best sounding R50 exhuast I have ever heard and beautifully ( functionally ) constructed.

Most folks only tie into one mount in the back esp R53 owners with One Ball Mods..

( Is that a Cherry Bomb Product ? )
Wow. High praise, GR! Thanks.

With that kind of offset, I wanted to make sure it was structurally sound. Nice thing is that the entire system from the flange back probably weighs less than the stock muffler alone.

It's not a Cherry Bomb, but same concept. 31" Thrush Magnum Glasspack. I've run one on several vehicles and am always pleased with the sound profile. I've been running resonator only for about 3 weeks due to broken muffler hangers (it was cut off right before the first bend), and it honestly didn't sound bad. I figured that 31" would kill all of the highs while leaving a nice tone. The only unfortunate downside is that Cooper doesn't burble quite like he used to.... then again, we all know that glasspacks hit their stride after a few months of use.

Last thing I need to do is polish my welds, sand off the red paint, and give it all a nice coat of VHT Flameproof Clear. I have the paint, but I ran out of time yesterday.

TLDR: Don't discount classic components.