Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R50).

Thinking about more modifications

Old 09-16-2016, 09:51 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
Thinking about more modifications

Looking to keep the car fully street legal track day toy. I am keeping the emission controls in place as I have to smog my car to get tags for my plates. I am not removing the AC or the sunroof even though I know that the weight saved there would be huge. I am not looking for huge HP gains here.

What I have done already:
Megan Racing Cat-Back exhaust
Megan Racing coil-over F/R
Power Slot front rotors
Hawk HPS pads F/R
aFe intake - which comes with a "heat shield"
MSD ignition coil
Cooper S Sport+ rear bar - doesn't seem to need more at this time, might be able to scavenge the Alta bar off my wife's Cooper S.
16x7 wheels with fairly sticky tires

What I am thinking of doing:
Cam shaft
ECU flash/upgrade
Injectors - not sure they are needed...
Throttle body
exhaust header
fuel pump - not sure it's needed though...
Oil cooler

Would love to do but probably won't:
balance and blueprint the motor

Will do when the time comes (again):
6-speed swap (what I should have done when the Midlands/Rover 5-speed died the first time)

My first thoughts are that the ECU will be able to make the adjustments for the throttle body and exhaust header but I am not sure about the Cam shaft and injectors. Though my guess is, I don't actually know, if the injectors have a higher capacity than what the ECU is able to tell them to do, they just work less as hard.

I am of the school that believes that super expensive spark plugs and wires are not needed and have minimal if any actual benefit, hence, them being omitted from the list.

Anything else that might be fun to do or needed?
What says the hive mind?

Old 09-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
So many views... so few comments...

Am I missing anything on my list?
Any suggestions on what I should do?

Old 05-23-2017, 04:51 AM
colinmini
5th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
Loosing weight is like adding hp!

How about some weight saving ideals. Ours R50 have a power to weight ratio of 23:1(23 lbs for each hp). I have done modest power gains and an extensive weight saving on my Cooper I have that number down to 17.9:1! Most don't cost much. Start with:
Remove back seat(40 lbs), remove spare tire(maybe only when on track or autox 25 lbs), lightweight battery(20 lbs), lighter wheels(Holies(12 lbs/each vs Webspokes(17 lbs/each)......these start to add up.

The following users liked this post:
Thinker2112 (07-21-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 07:51 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
I do ditch the spare tire for track days. The light weight battery is a great though that I didn't think of... I like it and it is not too expensive. I could have it for track and auto-x.
My Pannasports are about 17 each. My wife will not part with her Holies and at about $140 each (yes that isn't much) and only 5.5" wide, I would need supper sticky tires for the grip I would like. I have the 8-spoke's which are about 15 pounds. We already have 4 full sets of wheels and tires for the two Minis and no where to store what we have. Not sure that anyone would by or trade the 8-spokes which are good for winter tires.
I have though of ditching the rear seats but it is a daily driver so keeping the interior sound to a somewhat reasonable level is also a consideration, hence, all the other mods. The Megan racing coil overs are a LOT lighter then the stock stet up, by seemingly (I did not weight them) a good 10 to 15 pounds for all 4. Is Dynamat light?