North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Cooper (non S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s-190/)
-   -   choosing an ECU tuning house (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s/293657-choosing-an-ecu-tuning-house.html)

genik 09-24-2015 09:55 PM

choosing an ECU tuning house

When deciding to tuning the ECU of the mini, what should one keep in mind in order to select the best ECU tuning house? For example, for me, its a plus to be able to toggle between the stock and the tuning maps that have been programmed in the mini. What else should i be looking for?

ZippyNH 09-25-2015 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by genik (Post 4127606)
When deciding to tuning the ECU of the mini, what should one keep in mind in order to select the best ECU tuning house? For example, for me, its a plus to be able to toggle between the stock and the tuning maps that have been programmed in the mini. What else should i be looking for?

You cannot "toggle" in a MINI....that's more of movie thing with a Honda...
That's something you would need a standalone ecu to do.
To switch you would need to plug a "tool" into the ecu, car off, and upload the software, each time, the ecu records a rewrite of software....

thebombardier 09-25-2015 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by genik (Post 4127606)

Manic offers something like what you want. You have to buy an SPS switcher dongle separate from the tune to switch between maps. You get the car tuned then with the car off but they key fob plugged in you plug the SPS into your OBDII port with the knob turned to the setting which corresponds with the desired ECU map. Wait a few seconds and remove the SPS and turn the car on.

When I got my Manic tune I just bought the SPS switcher at the shop. I can literally do it while stopped at a traffic light. Shut down, turn the knob to setting 2, plug in, remove, start up. Bam, I'm back to stock. Next light, same process with the knob on 5 and I'm making 200+ hp at the wheels again.

As far as having a button or a switch though mounted somewhere in the car or being able to switch it around with controls in the car, there is no such thing out right now.

EDIT: Just realized this is the non-S section. Not sure if Manic does tunes for the regular Cooper. But the point remains, you need a separate switcher to choose maps with these cars.

genik 09-25-2015 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by thebombardier (Post 4127626)
EDIT: Just realized this is the non-S section.

Good Lord, i just realised that too now! Im not asking this for a nonS. Can a moderator place this thread in the right place?

cerenkov 09-25-2015 02:25 PM

You don't need to shut the car off to switch tunes with Manic. You can do it while driving. You could use a OBD extension cable and mount the SPS switch in the dash somewhere.

Not sure why you really want to switch maps all that often. I use the same map 99% of the time.

MarioKart 09-25-2015 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by cerenkov (Post 4127817)
You don't need to shut the car off to switch tunes with Manic. You can do it while driving. You could use a OBD extension cable and mount the SPS switch in the dash somewhere. Not sure why you really want to switch maps all that often. I use the same map 99% of the time.

Exactly, I don't change maps often, but when I do, I can do it while I'm driving at 80mph, in just a little coordination

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer