North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Cooper (non S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s-190/)
-   -   Noise after shut down, not radiator fan (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s/229259-noise-after-shut-down-not-radiator-fan.html)

byron h 04-29-2012 07:47 AM

Noise after shut down, not radiator fan

I am trying to find what is causing the noise I hear occasionally after turning off the motor. This noise only occurs very infrequently, but I have heard it a few times in the 9,000 miles I have driven my MINI. The sounds are a very low noise like something electrical is running and a sound like sheet metal shifting position. The total time the noise occurs is only about a minute. The sounds seem to come from the area below the rear seats. The only electrical component I found in my Bentley manual in this area is the fuel pump. According to the Bentley manual, the fuel pump includes a jet pump for transferring fuel from the left side of the fuel tank to the right side. The electrical sound could be the fuel pump running. The sounds I don't understand are the ones that sould like sheet metal shifting position. The noise like sheet metal shifting position is much lounder than the electrical sound and is what I first noticed. Even if the fuel pump shifts fuel from one side of the tandem tank to the other side, I would not expected the tank to make the settling noises. I would appreciate hearing if any others have heard these noises and any ideas what are causing them.

2011 MC PW/B, ScanGauge

Aquasar 04-30-2012 06:35 AM

Nope never heard that noise myself, sorry can't hep

kylerogowski 05-15-2012 09:01 AM

----------

pushindasies 06-02-2012 09:49 AM

Sounds like a kicking under the rear seats? I have that too. I asked my dealer and was told it was the way I was driving it and that because something in the fuel tank was made of plastic the air escaping made that kicking sound. As you can tell he didn't do a very good job at explaining but hope this helps a bit.

jbewley 06-05-2012 01:07 PM

I get that kicking too, from time to time. Four years and 62K+ miles later, nothing has gone wrong. I chalk it up to the fuel tank venting or some such thing.

As for the humming, when you open the door or shut down, some electric items remain on for about a minute. I installed an after market amp and it turns on and off all the time.

Jim

byron h 06-16-2012 12:07 PM

Noise after shutting engine off, not radiator fan

I asked my dealer about these noises and he said that the MINI does an occasional pressure check of the fuel tank. That could explain the sound like a pump running, the creaking noises, and the long interval between when this occurs.

2011 MC PW/B, Scangauge, A/C vibration damper 9,500 trouble free miles

scottt 06-26-2012 05:21 PM

Glad I saw this thread. Had the EXACT same thing happen to me yesterday. It was a low hum in the rear of the car, and about every 15 - 25 seconds a PFFFFFTTTT air release sound. Lasted for about 2-3 mins.

grueinthebox 06-27-2012 11:21 AM

I've never noticed the electrical sound, but have heard the metal sound. Always assumed it had something to do with the exhaust system cooling.

os20klee 03-12-2014 11:03 AM

I also hear the kicking sound from time to time but not everyday.
Also for the humming, I hear it when I start the car (only can hear from outside).

RockAZ 03-12-2014 12:00 PM

I wonder if this is the part that sometimes goes wrong and won't let you completely fill the tank?

son-of-mini 04-14-2014 07:08 AM

I always heard the same electrical sound and the thumping on my 09 justa. I now get it with my new clubman. I am sure it has nothing to do with the way I drive. I had always wondered what it was.