Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Adding a Turbo to 2011 Mini Cooper (non S)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:50 PM
yashmack
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this threads kinda old now but i do want to say im thoroughly disappointed that you decided for an engine swap instead of a turbo install
I really want to see someone successfully install a turbo on an N12 :p
ah well, good luck with the swap

Old 03-27-2015, 05:51 PM
kitrods
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its very possible and a good idea. Cause it has a spare tire. :-)
Big thing is to lower compression to allow for added compression of turbo. Upgrading crank, cam and valves also. Then there is the location. Battery will have to be moved. Ecu, fuel management...
Jay Leno has 2 engines in his cooper. Anything can be done!

Old 03-13-2017, 08:16 PM
Zackattack28
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jjurss
You would need to change your trans and your clutch for starters. The little 5 speed trans in the base model would be ripped to shreds by that much horsepower. Also, the clutch in the base isn't designed to handle that much torque so it would slip often and would wear out quickly.

I think you're better off selling your base model and buying an S. It will be easier to change out the turbo from the S and upgrade to a twin or just to a larger size. You won't have to replace 90% of your car's power plant and you can still get tuned to the 300 horses that you wanted. It will be less expensive and easier in the end.
The R56 Justa uses a 6-speed Getrag. Not a 5-speed

Old 04-13-2017, 08:52 AM
randeez
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i wondered if using the base head/manifold would be better for making big power on an already turbo mini
should drop on and eliminate DI? can the injectors even be swapped - cant find where they even mount looking at pics

Old 12-29-2020, 11:22 PM
craig streetzel
Neutral
I want to go to ls fest

Originally Posted by Dr.Fox
How about drivetrain? The Justa clutch can't be strong enough to hold 40% more power...

It would cost you less up front, let alone in the long run, to just sell your car and buy an S. That's why they made both models.
Need ls power in the car to get in the show/races my cbr600rr makes120 HP and have larger diameter exhaust tubes bussa motor in mk1 is a 🚀 but if 4 cylinders is good 8 has to be great

Old 01-01-2021, 06:55 AM
craig streetzel
Neutral
Difference between a Cooper and the Cooper S

Originally Posted by JD Wagner
I like how so many people on here just say that it is impractical. I am a Mechanical Engineer and have been a race engineer for an Indy Car team.

Imagine this, I have an endless supply of money. I don't want to buy a new engine, I want to adapt my current one to be able to handle a turbo. Any ideas of what I need to change?

I am also currently looking for part lists to compare between the Cooper and Cooper S. I can't imagine there are many parts that are different.
Harder materials for the valves and it is a lot of non s base model putting down 500+ HP to the ground and the JCW is a S that has been done up but forged pistons and better to get the head with the oil squirter's but best bet is to sell your base model motor and transmission and swap over to the s on e Bay and the local junk yard or breakers in the steering wheel is on the right side of the car but you don't drive on the right side ☺️ $2500-3500 for base 1.6 & a S model and then you can start with a motor with forged pistons and a turbo friendly compression ratio base is 10.5 to 1 and S is 8.3 to 1 with a dished Forged pistons and better rods and more importantly the head have oil squirter's and can't even get a set of pistons for the difference in price I was gifted a base 2010 so it would be a pretty shitty way to say thanks for the car and sell it and to the person who is in a built not bought car the sell it and get a S that just shows how your paying someone else to work on your car and I get it if you want to spend twice as much and know nothing about the motor besides what you are told I can tell you my clearance for each cylinder on my other motor and I'm definitely not buying a new car to take the motor out of it too because it's 1 second faster than the base in 0-60 Tim 6.5 seconds for the S model and 7.5 for the 60+ less HP but lighter base model

Old 01-01-2021, 08:41 AM
scottyb043
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
This is an 8 year old thread...

Old 12-17-2022, 08:22 PM
Tox
Neutral
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
You obviously know nothing as you made a huge purchase without having your facts straight. Find much on the WEB*?

but please do post your plans so we can all get a little wiser since you seem to know something that no one else does

I think my guy here just wants to do it, he's not saying he knows what he's doing but he's willing to take on the challenge. But I might be wrong.

Old 02-22-2023, 03:42 PM
wcartho
Neutral
I've done some googling and it looks like some french company makes a turbo kit for the NA prince engine - same family as the non s r56. What I'm wondering is if something like this could be adapted to the cooper? I would really love to have an option to turbo without buying a whole new car.

Kit in question

I just emailed them about it but I doubt they would have any insight.