Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

DDM intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:34 PM
murdoc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hehe, I got my DDMWorks intake today when I got home. I was so excited I installed it right away! Then I took a test drive.
Initial thoughts: The change it engine sound is straight up awesome! The seat of the pants change it performance isn't huge, but it is there and I can feel it. Only had one little issue with the install, but overall this was totally worth it.

Thanks to everyone's advice on this one, and thank you to WayMotorWorks, you delivered to a super satisfied customer again!

I will report back after the weekend, since I know I'll be driving it tomorrow and a lot on Saturday.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 PM
peppermill
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Couldn't wait and installed the intake late this afternoon.
-pretty straightforward and overall a very clean looking setup.
The construction details of the unit wasn't at all as I expected from pics, thinking that the "box" would be fully enclosed as opposed to having most of the firewall side and bottom open. Now i understand about the comments on it's loudness.
Basically it's a combination heat shield and !megaphone! and sure enuf, right out of my driveway and down the street, with my very first mash of throttle & banging of gears from 1st to second & 2nd to 3rd, all I could do was laugh out loud to myself at how "boy-racer" snarly and growly this thing is. Not sure how my wife will react so I'm not going to say a word and just let her discover for herself. I like it tho.
Second thing I noticed was a definate increase in how fast the motor spools ,esp past approx 3500rpm up to redline. not so sure how much better it is in reducing throttle lag at this point but thinking there's a very small but worthwhile improvement.
It started to get dark and with wet roads & heavy-ish neighborhood homecoming traffic, I decided to cut my test drive short.
I'll post more over the next few days as I get a better handle on the effects of the DDM. so far, pretty positive all-in-all.

still giggling over all the cacaphony,
GrrrrrrrrGrrrrrrrr......WHaaaaa........

k

Old 03-30-2012, 02:05 PM
euells
4th Gear
Originally Posted by peppermill
'Couldn't wait and installed the intake late this afternoon.
-pretty straightforward and overall a very clean looking setup.
The construction details of the unit wasn't at all as I expected from pics, thinking that the "box" would be fully enclosed as opposed to having most of the firewall side and bottom open. Now i understand about the comments on it's loudness.
Basically it's a combination heat shield and !megaphone! and sure enuf, right out of my driveway and down the street, with my very first mash of throttle & banging of gears from 1st to second & 2nd to 3rd, all I could do was laugh out loud to myself at how "boy-racer" snarly and growly this thing is. Not sure how my wife will react so I'm not going to say a word and just let her discover for herself. I like it tho.
Second thing I noticed was a definate increase in how fast the motor spools ,esp past approx 3500rpm up to redline. not so sure how much better it is in reducing throttle lag at this point but thinking there's a very small but worthwhile improvement.
It started to get dark and with wet roads & heavy-ish neighborhood homecoming traffic, I decided to cut my test drive short.
I'll post more over the next few days as I get a better handle on the effects of the DDM. so far, pretty positive all-in-all.

still giggling over all the cacaphony,
GrrrrrrrrGrrrrrrrr......WHaaaaa........

k
Glad you all got yours!

I have a story to tell.

Just got back from a business trip - jumped in the MINI and was heading home from the airport and decided to stop in a car wash to get the pollen dust off. I rolled into the lot and noticed a nice Laser Blue Cooper as I shot around the building to enter the carwash. As I came out - the guy was waiting on me and flagged be down. He wanted to know what kind of custom exhaust I had. I just smiled and opened the hood. Needless to say - there will be another DDM order heading WMW's "way". He had ordered some stuff from them already. He will also be joining NAM soon - said he lurked before but never joined.

Last edited by euells; 03-30-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:10 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Originally Posted by euells
Glad you all got yours!

I have a story to tell.

Just got back from a business trip - jumped in the MINI and was heading home from the airport and decided to stop in a car wash to get the pollen dust off. I rolled into the lot and noticed a nice Laser Blue Cooper as I shot around the building to enter the carwash. As I came out - the guy was waiting on me and flagged be down. He wanted to know what kind of custom exhaust I had. I just smiled and opened the hood. Needless to say - they'll be another DDM order heading WMW's "way". He had ordered some stuff from them already. He will also be joining NAM soon - said he lurked before but never joined.
that's such a great story!

and its nice to hear that y'all are finally receiving your intakes now.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Tommy Kardinal
2nd Gear
Just ordered one from Outmotoring using the NAM 5% discount.
what's this 5% discount of which you speak?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Several venders on NAM give that to us.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
murdoc
3rd Gear
Update: After almost a week of driving the upgraded MINI, I am super glad I did the intake. I love the sound, and it does turn heads. The wife likes the added omph that the intake gives, and she likes the sound as well. I must say, as long as I have a MINI Cooper (non S) I'll have a DDMWorks intake on it. I am super impressed.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Glad you love it! I trully miss the one I had on my 06MC. The silence is annoying, so after I put on the clear bra, that will be my next mod. Already got a nice LLumar tint all around. Little by little she will be the way I like it!

Art

Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM
euells
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tommy Kardinal
They usually post a code each month - this one was for March

Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Tommy Kardinal
2nd Gear
They usually post a code each month - this one was for March
Do u know if there is one for April? When I did a search I only found march and that one is expired

Old 04-03-2012, 04:57 PM
euells
4th Gear
Do u know if there is one for April? When I did a search I only found march and that one is expired
Just keep watching the vendor announcements.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
5% aint much of a discount to me. not enough to get me to shop at their store. show me 15-20% and im down but 5% would barely cover shipping (and thats on $200+ items).

Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 PM
euells
4th Gear
Originally Posted by corin.mcblide
5% aint much of a discount to me. not enough to get me to shop at their store. show me 15-20% and im down but 5% would barely cover shipping (and thats on $200+ items).
Free shipping kicks in at $195 at Outmotoring. Almost everyone else sells the item for $250 and charges shipping - so I jumped on the deal.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM
euells
4th Gear
DDM and MPG

OK so after having the DDM Intake installed for a couple of weeks, I stopped to fill up today and noticed that I averaged 39.6 mpg! I always seem to stay between 34 - 36 mpg, no matter how spirited the driving was. This was a pleasant surprise! I know it's early and only one data point - but I am attributing this to the new intake. This thing could easily pay for itself as gas rises above $4 /gal.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
OK so after having the DDM Intake installed for a couple of weeks, I stopped to fill up today and noticed that I averaged 39.6 mpg! I always seem to stay between 34 - 36 mpg, no matter how spirited the driving was. This was a pleasant surprise! I know it's early and only one data point - but I am attributing this to the new intake. This thing could easily pay for itself as gas rises above $4 /gal.
That's really interesting. I had heard the same thing from one of the Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club folks a while back so put it to the test about a month ago. When I originally took delivery of Cary for several tanks I kept RPMs on freeway around 2500 (never breaking speed limit) for 4 tanks and tried to spend a bulk of the time on the freeway just to see what kind of mileage I could really achieve if driving conservatively and also wanting to take it easy for the initial miles. The best ever I could manage (pre-DDM) was 42.3mpg on a drive from DC Metro to New York. A month ago (with DDM which I installed around January) I was curious - hadn't tested what I heard yet because I was too busy having fun. I tried again... Predominantly freeway driving, never exceeding speed limit (again keeping RPM around 2500-2800). My new record is 45.9 mpg!!! Since installing the DDM (as per my gas mileage records), I have never dipped below 36.5 and mostly hover around 38-39 (right now I'm at 39.4 mpg and 90 miles left to go before I have to refill). All, is this normal? Does everyone else notice an upward trend in mpg? It seems so to me.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Cary Cooper
That's really interesting. I had heard the same thing from one of the Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club folks a while back so put it to the test about a month ago. When I originally took delivery of Cary for several tanks I kept RPMs on freeway around 2500 (never breaking speed limit) for 4 tanks and tried to spend a bulk of the time on the freeway just to see what kind of mileage I could really achieve if driving conservatively and also wanting to take it easy for the initial miles. The best ever I could manage (pre-DDM) was 42.3mpg on a drive from DC Metro to New York. A month ago (with DDM which I installed around January) I was curious - hadn't tested what I heard yet because I was too busy having fun. I tried again... Predominantly freeway driving, never exceeding speed limit (again keeping RPM around 2500-2800). My new record is 45.9 mpg!!! Since installing the DDM (as per my gas mileage records), I have never dipped below 36.5 and mostly hover around 38-39 (right now I'm at 39.4 mpg and 90 miles left to go before I have to refill). All, is this normal? Does everyone else notice an upward trend in mpg? It seems so to me.
you got me interested. found this good read. http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/50A5A115A1.aspx

for me, i think there is an increase in MPG but its hard to tell b/c i drive with a roof box half the time and that thing knocks off a good 5-10 mpg.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 PM
euells
4th Gear
Originally Posted by corin.mcblide
you got me interested. found this good read. http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/50A5A115A1.aspx

for me, i think there is an increase in MPG but its hard to tell b/c i drive with a roof box half the time and that thing knocks off a good 5-10 mpg.
Very interesting article - thanks for the post!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 PM
shpwrckd
1st Gear
ordered my DDM intake from Way on March 22 ... haven't heard any news except that they are backordered for the R56 non-S ... though I've been having a difficult time getting any kind of updates. haven't heard anything since March 26th despite several emails to Way.

anyway, hope to get mine soon too!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 AM
euells
4th Gear
Originally Posted by shpwrckd
ordered my DDM intake from Way on March 22 ... haven't heard any news except that they are backordered for the R56 non-S ... though I've been having a difficult time getting any kind of updates. haven't heard anything since March 26th despite several emails to Way.

anyway, hope to get mine soon too!
They are in hot demand and many of us found ourselves in your situation. My guess is they are back ordered at DDM. When they get a batch ready - they are already sold by back orders. Try to be patient - it will be worth the wait.

Also - Way and DDM are vendors at the MOTD event, so I am sure they are tied up getting ready for the 720+ MINIs that are heading that way!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 AM
shpwrckd
1st Gear
Yeah, Way let me know this morning that there might be another batch ready soon. I'm sure my timing was not great seeing as how, like you mentioned, they are vendors at the MOTD event coming up!

In any case, looking forward to the intake whenever it arrives and hope to have the same experience you all have had with it!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 PM
kylerogowski
1st Gear
----------

Last edited by kylerogowski; 06-27-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:17 AM
bhwks61
Neutral
Installed the intake today and all I can say is wow!! The sound is impressive and the install was quick and fairly easy, approx 30 min. Will be curious on the mpg and throttle response as I drive it more, but the growel is worth it. Thanks too to Way, I appreciate the responsive communication.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Awesome glad you like! Mine is on backorder...

Old 05-22-2012, 01:12 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
The "Sprint Booster" will get rid of the throttle lag. That, a DDM or VIP CAI and the Torque Arm Bushing are the power mods there are for our justa's. I did go to lighter wheels, 195X50R15 tires and did the rear seat delete. These helped the gearing and, although no additional HP, the car is very much quicker.

Jim

Old 06-24-2012, 03:57 PM
EinVan
1st Gear
Mine is on order as well...waiting by the door. Someone tried to convince me that installing an intake in my car will actually cause problems because i live in such a wet city (rains everyday).

Any comments on this?

Quick Reply: DDM intake