Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Power mods on the Justa's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 AM
rustyeuro
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i really wish people would stop telling us to "just buy an S". **** off

The following users liked this post:
ChiR52 (06-07-2018)
Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM
ricbow
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyeuro
i really wish people would stop telling us to "just buy an S". **** off
+1 love it.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
I, too would like some definitive answers regarding installing a DDMWorks Intake on my 2010 Clubman (non S). What can I realitstically expect in improved performance? Not looking for a lot, or to turn her into a S. I very much enjoy the difference sport mode makes in her. If it does improve HP a bit, then I may drop the $$$. A MINI friend had this installed and swears it makes a difference. He also has a sprint booster. I have heard so many conflicting things, I'm confused...Can't do all the mods, but am leaning toward the cold air intake...thoughts? experiences? Thanks!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:32 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ricbow
+1 love it.
+ 2

Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
murdoc - I can appreciate every sentiment in your rant. A couple more digits in HP column would be all that I would want, too. I'm still on the lookout for a full exhaust that doesn't drone at highway speed... Until then, playing with my suspension and the intake have proven to be well worth it. I've also decided to ban the word 'Justa' from my vocabulary - it just doesn't fit my experience. I like 'Straight Cooper' better as in 'the air goes straight in' and doesn't get altered in any way.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
murdoc - I can appreciate every sentiment in your rant. A couple more digits in HP column would be all that I would want, too. I'm still on the lookout for a full exhaust that doesn't drone at highway speed... Until then, playing with my suspension and the intake have proven to be well worth it. I've also decided to ban the word 'Justa' from my vocabulary - it just doesn't fit my experience. I like 'Straight Cooper' better as in 'the air goes straight in' and doesn't get altered in any way.
So, the DDM Cai is worth the $$$???

Old 02-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
So, the DDM Cai is worth the $$$???
Yep! Better throttle response, a very clean look and LOUD! You have to be ready for this kind of loud, Giggles - someone posted (it may be ^^^ there) that the DDM was the loudest of 3 he tried.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:38 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
^ Thanks, Albie...will take under consideration. Improve gas Mileage like they claim?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Any time, Giggles! 1 or 2 mpg improvement is all that I'm seeing.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
Yep! Better throttle response, a very clean look and LOUD! You have to be ready for this kind of loud, Giggles - someone posted (it may be ^^^ there) that the DDM was the loudest of 3 he tried.
Was looking at the DDM set up. I don't want loud. A little more power yes. A little more noise not necessary but ok. LOUD why? Especially for just a couple hp. Can I get a stealth hp/torgue upgrade so I can sneak up on unsuspecting SUV's.

Is there some feature to the DDM set up that adds the noise? Can that be altered?

Before anyone complains I don't know anything. I know I don't. I never worked on cars as I am not a hands on guy. I am an accountant type guy. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 AM
murdoc
3rd Gear
Thanks, I didn't want to come of sounding like a d(#k. I'm glad that some people understand. As for non power mods, I am working on some of those too, should be getting my sway bar here in a week or so. I to am looking for a good exhaust system, something that is straight back, fewer bends. I do like the 'Straight Cooper', I haven't erased 'Justa' quite yet, but I might.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tank251
Was looking at the DDM set up. I don't want loud. A little more power yes. A little more noise not necessary but ok. LOUD why? Especially for just a couple hp. Can I get a stealth hp/torgue upgrade so I can sneak up on unsuspecting SUV's.

Is there some feature to the DDM set up that adds the noise? Can that be altered?

Before anyone complains I don't know anything. I know I don't. I never worked on cars as I am not a hands on guy. I am an accountant type guy. Thanks.
An intake isn’t *fart can* loud - it’s more subtle, but in the DDM’s case it’s not as subtle. And there’s no feature that would make it quieter - a cold air intake simply is a more “open” intake which is what makes it louder than OEM. This became wildly obvious to me when I took the OEM intake off - it’s almost completely enclosed except for the vent hose that goes to the front of the car. Keep in mind that I haven’t heard any other intakes, just what another member found when he installed 3 different ones. Mine is also slightly louder because I modified my intake silencer. I did that before I installed the DDM. Without doing a tune and an exhaust, I just wanted to create a nice clean flow of of air to the intake side.

I don’t think there’s any other way to get a couple HP quietly, unfortunately. And don’t worry about not knowing anything - at least you admit it. I’m not much of a mechanic myself; I’ve done a few mods on my own (including the intake) but only after some research and help. I decided to post on NEMINI (a more local forum for me) that I was doing the intake install myself and was looking for advice. A member posted something simple about taking the OEM intake off that literally allowed me to complete the job. Without that kind of help, my MINI would have sat in the garage until a real mechanic showed up.

Best of luck - there’s lots of fun to be had modding.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by murdoc
Thanks, I didn't want to come of sounding like a d(#k. I'm glad that some people understand. As for non power mods, I am working on some of those too, should be getting my sway bar here in a week or so. I to am looking for a good exhaust system, something that is straight back, fewer bends. I do like the 'Straight Cooper', I haven't erased 'Justa' quite yet, but I might.
Didn’t come off that way at all, murdoc. I think you’ll really like the rear sway bar - I had my springs installed at the same time as the RSB and it was like driving away in a different car!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Agreed, a rear sway bar is one of the best bang for the buck mods you can do to either a Justa or an S.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:22 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Hi, all! Since we are doing the install of the DDMWorks CAI ourselves, would muchly appreciate ANY advice and tips, on the removal of the OEM intake and install of the CAI!!!!!! Thanks in advance!!!!!! H E L P!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
An intake isn’t *fart can* loud - it’s more subtle, but in the DDM’s case it’s not as subtle. And there’s no feature that would make it quieter - a cold air intake simply is a more “open” intake which is what makes it louder than OEM. This became wildly obvious to me when I took the OEM intake off - it’s almost completely enclosed except for the vent hose that goes to the front of the car. Keep in mind that I haven’t heard any other intakes, just what another member found when he installed 3 different ones. Mine is also slightly louder because I modified my intake silencer. I did that before I installed the DDM. Without doing a tune and an exhaust, I just wanted to create a nice clean flow of of air to the intake side.

I don’t think there’s any other way to get a couple HP quietly, unfortunately. And don’t worry about not knowing anything - at least you admit it. I’m not much of a mechanic myself; I’ve done a few mods on my own (including the intake) but only after some research and help. I decided to post on NEMINI (a more local forum for me) that I was doing the intake install myself and was looking for advice. A member posted something simple about taking the OEM intake off that literally allowed me to complete the job. Without that kind of help, my MINI would have sat in the garage until a real mechanic showed up.

Best of luck - there’s lots of fun to be had modding.
Thanks. I was wondering about the noise level. I am married and my wife will go with me on club rides (MINI5280). We enjoy the time together and I don't want to do anything to make the car loud so she wouldn't go along. I will check out youtube for videos and maybe get an idea of the noise level. Thanks again.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:49 AM
sean5294
2nd Gear
I just installed the DDM intake the other day, it is a pretty straight forward install. It is definitely loud but only when you stomp on the gas. I have a VIP exhaust and at WOT the intake is louder lol. I'm really happy with it.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:50 AM
sean5294
2nd Gear
Ill try to get a sound clip for ya when I get off work.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sean5294
I just installed the DDM intake the other day, it is a pretty straight forward install. It is definitely loud but only when you stomp on the gas. I have a VIP exhaust and at WOT the intake is louder lol. I'm really happy with it.
Any tips on removing the OEM intake??? Or any other advice?

Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 AM
sean5294
2nd Gear
The only thing special you will need is a set of Torx bits to take out the screws on the stock intake. The intake comes with instructions that are easy to follow.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sean5294
The only thing special you will need is a set of Torx bits to take out the screws on the stock intake. The intake comes with instructions that are easy to follow.
Thanks!!! Love the Mini community!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
And once those Torx bolts are off the stock intake, don't worry about trying to get way back behind the block to unbolt it - it simply pulls off!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Thanks, Albie, also!!! You guys are the BEST!!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 AM
sean5294
2nd Gear
Yup just pull and it will come out.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 AM
R53 Speed
4th Gear
Just wanted to chuck my $0.02 out there. I had an 02 Justa for about a year then switched to an 04 S. I loved my Justa and was completely content with taking the 115hp up the 130hp mark - it would have been plenty to have fun with. However, I opted for the S to meet my needs and desires - to me it was a package deal: the six speed transmission, DSC, on-board-computer, Sunroof, Sport Seats, dual muffler/exhaust tips, and of course the speed. My Justa was as base as they came, it had fog lights and heated seats and that was it! Didn't bother me that much but I really wanted more. Also, my Justa was knocking on 100,000 miles soon and I wanted something younger and knowing the Midlands 5 speed was prone to failure, it just made sense to opt for a different MINI. However, I will note that the Justa still felt tigher and more nimble handling wise but I'd be willing to bet once I dump the S-heavies off my S and add some lowering springs with a RSB, it will feel great.

That being said, with a Justa, I installed the DDM intake and it was worth every dollar. It's not intrusive or obnoxiously loud but it is there when you go WOT - it has a throaty growl to it. Very enjoyable as you can still entertain conversation with it.

As far as othe mods to make the most of your justa, suspension and wheels/tires is the way to go to make it more fun. A full exhaust, injectors, plugs, and a tune couldn't hurt either if you don't mind spending the cash. Also, as someone said, a JCW head and/or cam wouldn't be a bad addition either. After those mods, the power would probably feel just "right" depending on your expectations.

Good luck and enjoy the journey. By the way, you have been warned that once the mod bug bites, it bites hard and often.

Quick Reply: Power mods on the Justa's?