Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

After market mufflers... non S cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Aquasar
Well if you go to the manufacturer it is a bit less $627.64., and you should be able to find someone near you that will sell them.
http://www.borla.com/products/mini_c...t__140030.html
But there is a good question of which gen it is?
Mini Cooper 2002-2007 Cat-Back™ Exhaust part # 140030

That is not stating 2008 fitment. Which is your point.

There are some exhaust diameter differences at work here, that something "fits" is a serious issue. Fitting and performing well are two different claims and I think I am very confused by them, enough to hang onto my money a little bit longer.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 AM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not get the Milltek? Bolts right on with no fitment issues or anything.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 PM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Just a heads-up for NON-S owners, Magnaflow now has a cat-back system for the Non-S!

Outmotoring links: (the outmotoring descriptions are wrong lol)
http://www.outmotoring.com/magnaflow...coupe-r58.html
http://www.outmotoring.com/magnaflow...dster-r59.html

Magnaflow official page:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...OPER&year=2012

It says its for Coupe and Roadster, but I'm pretty sure they fit the normal hatch as well...

Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 AM
funkle
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks to me like the Remus & VIP are axle-back systems, while the Borla & Miltek are cat-back. Axle back systems attach after the 1st muffler and replace only the 2nd muffler, while cat-back systems attach after the the cat, replacing both muffle stages. In theory, the cat-back systems should have a bigger affect on sound & performance (and cost more)

Old 08-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GEMSTER
Just a heads-up for NON-S owners, Magnaflow now has a cat-back system for the Non-S!

Outmotoring links: (the outmotoring descriptions are wrong lol)
http://www.outmotoring.com/magnaflow...coupe-r58.html
http://www.outmotoring.com/magnaflow...dster-r59.html

Magnaflow official page:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...OPER&year=2012

It says its for Coupe and Roadster, but I'm pretty sure they fit the normal hatch as well...
Gemster - thanks for the update. I know there are other cosmetic differences, but I can't imagine that there's anything under the car that would be different between the '08 (mine) and the 2012. It might be worth giving Outmotoring a call...

Old 09-07-2013, 02:57 PM
MINI #1
4th Gear
Will an 12'/13' "S" Rear Bumper fit on a 13' non-S roadster?

Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 PM
MINI #1
4th Gear
Looking to get an "S" aftermarket exhaust w/ Bumper.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:23 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI #1
Looking to get an "S" aftermarket exhaust w/ Bumper.
I might ask your dealer what body shop they use regularly and ask about the S bumper fitting on a non-S. Do you already have some working on the exhaust? Are you moving it down the center or something else?

Old 09-14-2013, 06:30 AM
MINI #1
4th Gear
A friend has a brand new 2007 R56 Rear Pepper White Bumper and the dealership said that wouldn't fit...different mounting points & the 12/13 Rear Bumper should work...$376 & some change.

I checked w/ my Mechanic and he could do the exhaust but wouldn't have any heat shield in the area...didn't give me a price yet...My mechanic recommends going w/ a resonator & 2nd Cat delete ($40)..first...and if I don't like the sound then go with a custom exhaust (magnaflow) or any aftermarket non-s exhaust built for the car...it's mainly for sound on the Non-S...the custom exhaust or aftermarket, would look cleaner, cheaper to install...My mechanic is also a MINI Owner.

I'm leaning towards my mechanic's suggestions.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:38 AM
MINI #1
4th Gear
To answer your question...I was thinking down the middle.

My mechanic also said that deleting the 2nd Cat or Resonator wouldn't have any emissions issues or throwing any codes...you just can't delete the first Cat...

Old 09-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Well got the Milltek it sounds nice. Local company got it straight from England.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:20 PM
MiniVelvet
2nd Gear
Straight pipe

After installing the K&N Typhoon intake kit, I became interested in upgrading the exhaust too. So I visited a muffler shop and asked for a Magna Flow muffler. Muffler guy heard how my car sounded and said, "Let's take your muffler off and go from there." Muffler was chopped off, and car sounded amazing with the stock cat and resonator on. So he welded on a straight pipe and attached a wider diameter tip to it. He even painted the tip matte black for me. I get some burbles, but not a whole lot. My mini is no longer gagged on both ends.

Shop charged $150 for pipe and labor. I drove away in half an hour. I am sure all the name brand exhausts mentioned in this thread sound fantastic, but mine ain't bad for $150. (Or $380 if you add the $230 intake.)

Old 10-29-2013, 04:49 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Sounds great can you make a sound clip please ? I am quite curious on the sound?

Art

Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM
MiniVelvet
2nd Gear
Sure, I will try to make one this evening. It feels like it has more to do with the intake though, since the main growl is from the engine bay. Do you get enough burbles with your setup? I got a long one yesterday when I was circling in an underground parking, can't remember what exactly I did to produce the series of burbles. :/

Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Well I only get burbbles decelerating from a fast speed but they don't last long. Most of the sound does come from my intake (DDM) which I love. 3 Coopers 2 1st Gen, 1 2nd Gen all had a DDM. They people are so nice both dave and Ivey.

Art

Old 10-31-2013, 12:58 PM
MiniVelvet
2nd Gear
I realized that I was riding in first gear while circling the parking garage (at 5 - 10 MPH). Do that for a minute or two, then gently let off the throttle, and the melody of burbles begins!

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using NAMotoring

Old 10-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Aquasar
6th Gear
:-)

Old 10-31-2013, 03:50 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniVelvet
After installing the K&N Typhoon intake kit, I became interested in upgrading the exhaust too. So I visited a muffler shop and asked for a Magna Flow muffler. Muffler guy heard how my car sounded and said, "Let's take your muffler off and go from there." Muffler was chopped off, and car sounded amazing with the stock cat and resonator on. So he welded on a straight pipe and attached a wider diameter tip to it. He even painted the tip matte black for me. I get some burbles, but not a whole lot. My mini is no longer gagged on both ends.

Shop charged $150 for pipe and labor. I drove away in half an hour. I am sure all the name brand exhausts mentioned in this thread sound fantastic, but mine ain't bad for $150. (Or $380 if you add the $230 intake.)
Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of this. I must be loud... But you also said that you hear your intake more than the exhaust. Granted, an intake growls nicely, but without a muffler I'm surprised it's not AT LEAST as loud the intake. Ever have someone else motor for you and you listen outside? I'd be curious about that.

I've been rolling around the idea of an exhaust for awhile now - just can't really come up with the money or I spend it on something else completely... This also sounds a lot like the B-spec set-up.

Pics of that tip would be cool, too.

Last edited by Albiecrazy; 10-31-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: referenced the wrong intake...
Old 10-31-2013, 05:24 PM
MiniVelvet
2nd Gear
I uploaded a few pictures into the member gallery. The pipe and tip are both generic, not brand-name or anything. A friend is going to help make a sound clip with an iPhone. He has an R53 with DDM CAI and straight pipe, sound clip on FB.

If you already have the DDM intake, it doesn't hurt to take the muffler off and go straight-pipe. It makes a world of difference. I cannot believe that I didn't do this sooner. The stock muffler is really heavy, so this mod at least helps improve performance by weight reduction. Find your local muffler shop and see how much it costs. It might be much less than $150!

Old 11-14-2013, 06:58 PM
wcpfour
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just picked up my Justa on Saturday. Thinking about letting it breathe better, looking at intake and exhaust. From my quick research online, the VIP is pretty tempting, but I'm not really familiar with VIP, and curious about the build quality and customer service. Milltek, Borla, etc. are all familiar names, but all bring a premium price point for something pretty simple. Is VIP one of those small shops that makes good quality stuff for a reasonable price?

Also, any drone with the VIP? Drone at highway cruising speed is a deal breaker.

Last edited by wcpfour; 11-14-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:10 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Why don't you just try a DDM intake and go straight pipe like suggested above? Also agree drone is bad...

Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 AM
wcpfour
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thinking about the VIP axle-back for quick plug & play, can throw it on at work without having to deal with welding, etc. Have thought about straight pipe, especially after I drove a Fiat Abarth, but wanting a little more mellow so the wife might not notice at all ;-)

I'll probably get the DDM intake as a xmas gift (to myself) and planning on the NM inserts as well. Already did the clutch stop from BMS, keeping the outside completely stock so wifey doesn't notice...

Old 11-15-2013, 06:37 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Sounds good enjoy the christmas gift both can be had from Way Motorworks. My wife tends to say go for it!

Old 11-15-2013, 04:54 PM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
As I recall, the stock exhaust system is one piece cat-back. So you will still need to cut the stock system in order to fit the VIP.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 PM
PANGET8
1st Gear
gp2 rear diffuser + obx universal muffler resonator delete with 2" piping

Attached Thumbnails After market mufflers... non S cooper-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: After market mufflers... non S cooper