Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

After market mufflers... non S cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still waiting sean5294

Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 PM
gr8ful
4th Gear
Just installed a Remus sport system on my R57 Cooper. This my second Remus, the first on an R55 S. Remus is made in Austria and very good quality. There is no drone which I insist on. The sound is a deep rich tone and gets louder after a few hundred miles. The only problem is the 2011 non S pipe after the resonator is only a 1 1/2 " and the system is a 2". Required a step down piece. I am going to let Remus know. Other than that it is just saw off oem pipe aft the the resonator and bolt it up. Nice large chrome oval tip also. My $.02 worth.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the feedback, gr8ful - the pipe feeding into the muffler should really be 2". Can't imagine why they would make it smaller than stock...

Also, is the tip acutally oval? It looks like a perfect circle to me on their website.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:47 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Borla on my '06, I like it. Deep mellow sound (for a 4cyl.) and drone isn't a problem. Quiet until 4000RPM.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 PM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
now if only we had a r56 solution

Old 06-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
There must be someone besides sean5294 with the VIP. Anyone wanna pitch in? I’m liking the cost, that it’s 2.5” tubing, it’s bolt on and that the tip is better looking than the Remus (IMO).

I’m guessing that the first resonator back version deletes the cat?

Old 06-30-2012, 08:37 PM
S&CLC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
There must be someone besides sean5294 with the VIP. Anyone wanna pitch in? I’m liking the cost, that it’s 2.5” tubing, it’s bolt on and that the tip is better looking than the Remus (IMO).

I’m guessing that the first resonator back version deletes the cat?
Albiecrazy...

No VIP, but I have the Milltek cat-back system now. The system starts after the primary cat just a bit below the header base as the pipe makes the bend to head under the engine and toward the back of the car. It eliminates the secondary cat in the first 1/3 of the OEM system, reduces the size /restriction of the resonator in the final 1/3 of the system, and has a free flow muffler at the end.

I understand our cars cannot pass (NY and MA) emissions tests without the OEM primary cat in place.

By the way, with the DDMworks intake, the Milltek exhaust, the SprintBooster, the Auto Sport Button On, the NM torque arm bushing, the Helix short shifter, plus the suspension mods and wheel/tire set-up, it is hard to believe this is the same Straight Cooper I drove away from the dealer a year ago...

It feels more like a modern wide track '72 MGB with Webers and a mild cam rather than a 2011 Little BMW Smooshie Mobile. Very "crisp"/tight.

(And now for a "tune", or maybe not.... Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z, snore, snore...)

Take care Buddy.

Last edited by S&CLC; 07-01-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: error
Old 06-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Yeah - getting ANY info on a tune seems futile... So you got a Milltek, eh? Of course, I would love some pics and/or video. It almost seems like most of the exhausts we’re talking about have eliminated drone. Is that what you’re finding with the Milltek?

When did you get this exhaust, BTW? I haven’t been around lately so maybe I missed something.

Your car is sounding quite nimble, bro. Definitely want to see some updated pics.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:00 PM
S&CLC
3rd Gear
Yeah - getting ANY info on a tune seems futile... So you got a Milltek, eh? Of course, I would love some pics and/or video. It almost seems like most of the exhausts we’re talking about have eliminated drone. Is that what you’re finding with the Milltek?

When did you get this exhaust, BTW? I haven’t been around lately so maybe I missed something.

Your car is sounding quite nimble, bro. Definitely want to see some updated pics.
There is no drone from the Milltek system. (I had it installed about 2 months ago.) It does have a pronounced "bark" from about 2400 to 2800 rpm, louder if you boot it, some of which could be the new intake, too. No noticeable increase in volume at highway speeds unless you have all the windows/roof open, and then only slight. The tone is definitely deeper and richer.

I was looking for quality and free flow, not so much sound. My only concern was for it not to sound "ricer" or just pain loud like a lawnmower and annoying. It is not.

There is a very prominent benefit of engine response, mid range torque, and overall bite. Of course the intake and the drive-by-wire accelerator remap module helped, too.

Updated pics soon, I promise. I'm contemplating having the roof painted a contrasting color, so I may wait until that project is done for new photos.

And now, back to that dream about that tune... Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z, snore, snore.

Take care.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by S&CLC
There is no drone from the Milltek system. (I had it installed about 2 months ago.) It does have a pronounced "bark" from about 2400 to 2800 rpm, louder if you boot it, some of which could be the new intake, too. No noticeable increase in volume at highway speeds unless you have all the windows/roof open, and then only slight. The tone is definitely deeper and richer.
That “bark” is all intake, I believe. I noticed it as soon as mine went in. I’ve referred to it as a “howl”. I’m liking that the tone of the Milltek is deep and rich. I’m looking for the same.

I was looking for quality and free flow, not so much sound. My only concern was for it not to sound "ricer" or just pain loud like a lawnmower and annoying. It is not.
I don’t want anything that sounds ratty and tinny, either. My goal also is quality and free flow since I now have a free flow of air on the intake side.

There is a very prominent benefit of engine response, mid range torque, and overall bite. Of course the intake and the drive-by-wire accelerator remap module helped, too.
I’m thinking about the Sprint Booster, too. You install that yourself?

Updated pics soon, I promise. I'm contemplating having the roof painted a contrasting color, so I may wait until that project is done for new photos.
Finding pics of anything Milltek seems very difficult. I followed three links last night and not one included a picture. Would I have a chance at getting a shot of the exhaust tip?

Going for a white roof?

Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM
S&CLC
3rd Gear
That “bark” is all intake, I believe. I noticed it as soon as mine went in. I’ve referred to it as a “howl”. I’m liking that the tone of the Milltek is deep and rich. I’m looking for the same.

I don’t want anything that sounds ratty and tinny, either. My goal also is quality and free flow since I now have a free flow of air on the intake side.

I’m thinking about the Sprint Booster, too. You install that yourself?

Finding pics of anything Milltek seems very difficult. I followed three links last night and not one included a picture. Would I have a chance at getting a shot of the exhaust tip?

Going for a white roof?
Don't get me wrong, the Milltek has some sound, and everybody has a different idea of what they like and don't like. The flow/performance is great, and it is a quality piece of craftsmanship, for certain. And it does NOT sound cheap (which it wasn't...) or like unnecessary embarrassing amplified noise. I am happy with my choice, no regrets whatsoever.

The Sprint Booster? Definitely a must have, BIG difference, love mine. Yes, I installed it, simple, quick, & easy. (Unplug), plug, and play.

But I understand there is a new one out that has an even sharper/shorter curve (although mine ramps up just fine and worry maybe these things could be annoyingly sensitive at some point), and, it is less expensive ($165?), which I found out about after I bought mine... If you wish, I can get the info for you.

The beefier torque arm insert bushing is subtle, but very noticeable. I fully recommend it also for a more crisp response reaction and solid sports car feel. I have none of the additional cabin nose or vibration some complain about with them. Of course, I must admit, I like it a little rough...

New roof color? Toying with 4 or 5 options (no, white is not one, sorry). Pretty much have settled on one now. I do believe I will keep it as a surprise. It will probably be my next big mod if I do it, I haven't 100% decided I don't still like the car all black though... What do you think?

And below, per your request, and more full shots if/when the roof is done, maybe next month.

Take care.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Nice! Thanks for posting before the roof is done - that shot is what I was looking for. Is that about a 3.5" exhaust tip? And what's the honeycomb-like pattern that I see inside?

Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 PM
S&CLC
3rd Gear
Milltek Sport Straight Cooper Exhaust System

Nice! Thanks for posting before the roof is done - that shot is what I was looking for. Is that about a 3.5" exhaust tip? And what's the honeycomb-like pattern that I see inside?
Thank you. And you are welcome...

The tip is approximately 4" OD, big/beefy but not ridiculous in size like some of the "Hi-C juice can" exhausts I've seen. It has a very nice quality polished stainless steel finish. B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l system.

The "honeycomb" is actually a band of perforations in the inside of the tip. I'm guessing their purpose is to harbor that moisture that exits the cold exhaust as it heats up, and burns it off, before it can make that black/discolored dribbled stain line you see on so many systems at the bottom of the tip. Or maybe just for enhanced heat dissipation? Both? Acoustics? Decoration? All?

Check this pic out... (Lift shot courtesy of "Greasy's". Thanks Pete!)

"Enjoy your MINI... that's what they're for."

Old 07-08-2012, 03:48 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Do you have a sound clip of this great looking Milltek Non-S exhaust system or a link? The only one I found was really quiet and the Milltek site says it's quiet too, but adds flow (no stats found?).

How about a link for the best price in the US? (Exchange rates should have improved recently!)

Lastly, did you get any confirmed performance gains or information on what Milltek claims as its' performance gain? Milltek clains the "S" system yields a 27HP improvement! No torque readings listed that I can find...

THX

Last edited by BlackIce; 07-08-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by corin.mcblide
now if only we had a r56 solution
+1!! Really frustrated that I bought a Borla Tip before I knew they did not make a Cat-back for my 2008 MINI!!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:13 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Mods. please delete!!

Thank you

Last edited by RJKimbell; 07-09-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
L@@KEY what I found...

Borla Cooper "Street" Cat Back Exhaust

from Madness Motorworks!!

It is definitely on my LIST!!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 PM
S&CLC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BlackIce
Do you have a sound clip of this great looking Milltek Non-S exhaust system or a link? The only one I found was really quiet and the Milltek site says it's quiet too, but adds flow (no stats found?).

How about a link for the best price in the US? (Exchange rates should have improved recently!)

Lastly, did you get any confirmed performance gains or information on what Milltek claims as its' performance gain? Milltek clains the "S" system yields a 27HP improvement! No torque readings listed that I can find...

THX
Sorry, no link, no sound clip. If you're ever near Boston, you are welcome to a ride, and if you promise not to be too crazy, you can take it for a drive...

In my opinion, "loud" is subjective. To me, the sound is a bit above middle between OEM and too loud, if that makes sense. It is by no means quiet. But it is not "juvenile", "ricer", or "ghetto" (not that there is anything wrong with that...), it sounds/feels like an proper English sports car now, not like a BMW econo car, like it did before (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Coupled with the DDM intake, there is a marked difference in the smooth delivery of what power is there. Some additional oomph in low R's, a lot at mid and upper R's. The altered mapping in the accelerator module contributes to this also. Does it feel like a set of Webers at the end of a cable? No, unfortunately not. But it is much, much better toward that direction. And that's what I was seeking with these modifications.

I will not know what (if any) actual whp I have gained with my mods until the car is dyno'd. Which I definitely won't have done until I find a ECU reprogram that is beneficial, reliable, and proven. And even then, I still might not have it dyno'd. At present, I am happy with my "butt dyno" results. I'm sure you don't want to hear all that "If you wanted an S, you... blah, blah, blah..." from me. Just read NAM, you can get your daily dose any time you desire...

The price/cost of this system is pretty much universal across the board from what I can see. And like a lot of European products, you can buy it from over there more inexpensively, but once you add shipping, the wait, the uncertainty, and the hassle... I purchased mine and had it installed by the manufacturer's authorized regional distributor. They did an awesome job, a grade A class act.

Hope this all helps you a bit. Take care. Enjoy.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
...the sound is a bit above middle between OEM and too loud...

...it sounds/feels like an proper English sports car now...

...Does it feel like a set of Webers at the end of a cable? No, unfortunately not. But it is much, much better toward that direction. And that's what I was seeking with these modifications...
Thanks S&CLC. I'm with you on the "Webers at the end of a cable"

Was hoping somewhere in the ordering or manufacturer information they may have stated the HP gains found when R&D'd.

I'm considering this and others or a "muffler delete pipe" for H-Stock autocross, that's the only reason I asked about HP and torque gains. The real dyno charts don't lie like those all to common Butt Dyno's!

May go the cheap route with a muffler delete pipe and do a before and after dyno runs for: stock, K&N in OEM box and muffler delete pipe (welding a flange onto the eixt pipe, OEM muffler and the delete pipe so they can be swapped on race days easily).

ADDED 7/12/12:
Similar to this slick setup
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ock-class.html

If someone can prove to me the MillTek adds 15HP+ to a Non-S I'd probably just go straight to it, because your description of the sound is right where I'd like to be. Cheers!

Last edited by BlackIce; 07-12-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 AM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
L@@KEY what I found...

Borla Cooper "Street" Cat Back Exhaust

from Madness Motorworks!!

It is definitely on my LIST!!
only found that in the r53 section. doesn't help with the r56 situation.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 AM
brandon_h
2nd Gear
Here is what my set up sounds like, sorry i havent been on here in days

Old 07-20-2012, 10:31 AM
corin.mcblide
4th Gear
Originally Posted by brandon_h
Here is what my set up sounds like, sorry i havent been on here in days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho14Li9qO2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpmztANVqjk
thanks for the vids. how does it sound in the higher rpm range? it didn't seem like you went past 3k. also is it just a muffler or did you increase the tube diameter as well?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:02 PM
brandon_h
2nd Gear
thanks for the vids. how does it sound in the higher rpm range? it didn't seem like you went past 3k. also is it just a muffler or did you increase the tube diameter as well?
it sounds wonderful, with the three inch intake, when the throttle body opens all the way it sounds like a turbo spooling up. its a secondary cat delete, resonator delete, increase in by 1/2inches where the ca was on back then connects to the magnaflow muffler, and then the tip welded back on.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:09 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
only found that in the r53 section. doesn't help with the r56 situation.
I think I found the r56 package, http://www.madnessmotorworks.com/bor...k-exhaust.aspx

The website was a little wonky to get there, but I think this one would fit my 2008 Justa Cooper

Old 06-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Well if you go to the manufacturer it is a bit less $627.64., and you should be able to find someone near you that will sell them.
http://www.borla.com/products/mini_c...t__140030.html
But there is a good question of which gen it is?
Mini Cooper 2002-2007 Cat-Back™ Exhaust part # 140030

Last edited by Aquasar; 06-19-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Quick Reply: After market mufflers... non S cooper