North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Cooper (non S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s-138/)
-   -   cvt swap to 5 speed (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s/208247-cvt-swap-to-5-speed.html)

victorgoforth 04-12-2011 05:07 AM

cvt swap to 5 speed

well it was hell but well worth it so far no problems i never could get a anwswer from anyone but now i now that it can be done

dannyhavok 04-12-2011 10:44 AM

Nice, congratulations! I'm sure others would love to know more details, cost, time, etc.

Densmini 04-12-2011 11:09 AM

There are several threads on here by people who have done it. I went for the 6-speed.

FlzRider 04-13-2011 06:52 AM

How did you two get past the software side of the swap? As in DSC, ABS, cruise control, etc.

Densmini 04-13-2011 07:15 AM

You'll need a manual trans ECU reconfigured for your car by RPM Motorsport in Canada. Somewhere in the $400 range plus shipping.

victorgoforth 04-19-2011 07:27 PM

used all cvt ecu, harrness, yeh i have trans codes but no problems running. tried ecu and harrness out of manule but no run to much work to change inside harrness. getting ready to put 6 speed in

Densmini 04-19-2011 07:36 PM

Good for you! Make sure you get the right halfshafts- I think they are different from the 5-speed, but I could be wrong.

WayMotorWorks 04-19-2011 07:49 PM

Yes the Axles from a CVT and a 5spd are different.

As for the software, I have the ability to reprogram the ECU to convert it to a manual trans.

matthew1619 05-31-2011 06:10 PM

Hey Way - I just did the swap from CVT to 6 Speed Getrag!!! I have everything done and I need to have the ECU reprogrammed - can you do that for me and what is the cost??? Also, will I need to change out the harness, or will it work with the reprogrammed ECU and CVT harness??
Thanks in Advance and the swap was amazingly simple - it was just a matter of having the correct parts..

Densmini 06-01-2011 04:48 AM

Matthew- your best option at the moment may be to buy a used Man. trans. ECU and have it programmed for your car. That way, you should be able to keep cruise control and it'll get rid of your "EP" light on the speedo, and the check engine light on the tach. With the current ECU, you MAY run into immobilizer sync issues after a few months, unless some of the vendors who do software work have cracked that nut!

matthew1619 06-01-2011 07:10 AM

Thanks Densmini - Currently it will not start, which I am assuming is the ECU saying there is no transmission so dont engage the starter. When you say have the ECU programmed for the car, are you talking about the ignition and key control??

Densmini 06-01-2011 11:17 AM

Matthew- you are correct that the EWS (immobilizer- grey box on firewall near clutch pedal) isn't receiving a transmission input so it denies a signal to the starter. However, if you jump the two thick black wires coming out of the EWS, you should be able to crank the engine. NOTE: this means it will crank regardless of clutch pedal depressed or not, so make sure it is in neutral or you have your foot on the clutch.
As to DME (ECU) programming, the continued lack of a CVT signal MAY result in the EWS/DME going out of sync- mine does every 60-90 days and so I have to reset it. The fix is a man. trans DME configured with your VIN, or there are other software gurus trying to find a way around the EWS problem.

firehawk618 06-02-2011 10:40 PM

Since it seems that pretty much all the modules in our cars are tied together via vin, I think the real fix is to have your existing EWS re-flashed to manual trans spec "if possible" or buy a new EWS for a manual trans and have it married to your car.

The other problem you may have is look at the schematic for the EWS, you will likely have to re-configure or add a couple wires for the clutch position sensor.

matthew1619 06-03-2011 05:15 AM

Awesome Info - Any intel on who does the flashing. I think I would like to go Manual EWS and have it married to the car!!

trw92a 08-18-2011 09:26 PM

the 5 speed is manual right? was it hard to install the clutch pedal?

Densmini 08-19-2011 05:10 AM

No, the pedal cluster under the dash is "universal"- just buy a clutch pedal and spring from a salvage yard (ask them to through in the washer and c-clip to hold it on or go down to the hardware store and get 'em.) The rest is plumbing- master cylinder, etc. And depending on your EWS, a clutch position switch.

trw92a 08-20-2011 02:35 PM

Do you know if dealerships will do the install?