North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Cooper (non S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s-190/)
-   -   NM Torque Arm insert (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s/197837-nm-torque-arm-insert.html)

Herleman 10-04-2010 12:13 PM

NM Torque Arm insert

Well, I finally tried a mod that requires crawling around under the car -- reminded me of my age.

But, for those of you who might be on the fence about this mod, jump off, it is really worth it.

I picked up the piece at the Mickey and Mini event on Saturday (Thanks Way!) and installed it this morning.

It took longer to find the right socket (16mm -- an unusual size, but very close to 5/8th inch) than it did to complete the installation. The arm drops down, the insert simply presses in, and then you get to go through a bit of hunting for the hole to get the bolts back in. Plenty of room to work, and plenty of room for the torque wrench to make sure its tight. But you do need to have the car in the air a bit because the arm is right in the middle of the car just behind the oil pan. No way to reach it unless you're underneath. PUT JACK STANDS UNDER IT!!! We don't need squashed Mini folks.

There is a bit more vibration in the car afterward -- nothing objectionable, but its there. But the insert seems to eliminate a lot of the rubber-banding effect that comes with throttle changes and accelleration. It makes the car seem quicker.

Way said it feels like $300 worth of modification for $60.

He's right. If you haven't done this, you should -- IMHO.

ammodave 10-05-2010 02:57 PM

I installed the insert on my justa several months ago and I agree; the change is subtle but the drivetrain seems more solid. As I recall, it took longer to jack up the car and position the jack stands than it did to install the insert. I did not notice any increase in vibration.

WayMotorWorks 10-05-2010 03:05 PM

So glad to hear your lovin it.:thumbsup:

onefish2 10-05-2010 09:58 PM

Definitely a worthwhile mod :thumbsup:.

grueinthebox 10-08-2010 05:23 PM

Definitely a recommended mod... Although it's got me wondering what the BSH replacement arm would do.

You guys need some Rhino ramps. :wink:

Herleman 10-08-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by grueinthebox (Post 3144661)
Definitely a recommended mod... Although it's got me wondering what the BSH replacement arm would do.

You guys need some Rhino ramps. :wink:

Great minds think alike -- there are two brand new shiny Rhino Ramps in the back of the Mini as I type. Woohoo!!!! Now I can crawl around under there at will.

Can you back a Mini onto Rhino ramps to get under the back end?

maacodale 10-08-2010 07:28 PM

$300 mod for 60 bucks. Sounds like Way! LOL

But yea, it's absolutely worth it!

jbewley 10-10-2010 03:43 AM

I like mine too. Now add the Sprint Booster and it will be even better. :thumbsup:

Jim

scottquake58 10-11-2010 11:16 AM

Just ordered mine today after reading this, very excited to feel the difference!!! :)

grueinthebox 10-11-2010 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Herleman (Post 3144670)
Can you back a Mini onto Rhino ramps to get under the back end?

As long as you're careful you should be able to.

scottquake58 10-15-2010 05:06 PM

Installed mine today and felt the difference immediately. Better power transfer and quicker takeoffs. It was just what I was looking for to give the MC a little push!
I do feel a little more vibration in the car, but I got used to it pretty quickly! :)

Herleman 10-15-2010 06:17 PM

The two little round inserts, and the 205/50/16 tires have done more to make my Mini into the car I wanted than anything else I have done to it.

I'm grateful to Way for having turned me onto this modification, and to TireRack for suggesting the change in tire size when I dumped the despised run-flats.

Now I'm gonna go out and drive it rather than to sit in front of a computer screen as much as I used to.

Scottquake -- I'm glad your experience was also good.

tvanhouten 10-15-2010 06:36 PM

Funny... I was just on the phone with Way earlier this week and we were discussing mods for my new 2011 MCS (will arrive in 2 weeks). He was real good about rattling off a list of things for me to bolt on as a "do it your selfer".

#1 on the list was the torque arm insert - http://tinyurl.com/29rj6mk

#2 on the list was to try the BOV from WAY - http://tinyurl.com/24v5bvl

#3 on the list was a sway bar - http://tinyurl.com/2btj65y

#4 ECU re-map from Way at a Mini gathering. I am in Idaho, so maybe the event in Vegas would be the closet to me?

I volunteer to be the guinea pig for these parts on my 2011. Way was totally cool saying that I could return the parts if for some reason they do not fit. Anything else you all think easy bolt on performance improving parts would be appreciated.

Thanks! tvanhouten

3leafz 11-03-2010 02:53 PM

just ordered mine this monday, and should arrive soon within this week.
will post feedback as soon as it's installed.

-calvin

3leafz 11-04-2010 02:51 PM

i got the inserts today, and i installed them soon after i received it. it took me like 15 mins to install, it was easy, however i did have to hunt for the bolt hole for awhile when i was putting things back.

feedback: i dont know if it's just me, i do feel a little more rattling when it comes to a full stop. and very subtle increase on responsiveness.

ps: i do drive a automatic 6sp

btw, will this mod harm the car/engine in any way?

calvin

WayMotorWorks 11-04-2010 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 3leafz (Post 3155844)
feedback: i dont know if it's just me, i do feel a little more rattling when it comes to a full stop. and very subtle increase on responsiveness.

calvin

Drive it for a week and report back about the rattling, they tend to settle in and get better after you drive it.

This isn't going to harm the engine in one way.

Herleman 11-04-2010 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by 3leafz (Post 3155844)
i got the inserts today, and i installed them soon after i received it. it took me like 15 mins to install, it was easy, however i did have to hunt for the bolt hole for awhile when i was putting things back.

calvin

Just one other thought -- as I remember, the arm has to be torqued back pretty well -- can't remember the spec, but it seems it was high. Are you confident that the unit is tight? It would surely set up a racket if it wasn't and its physically in a position to make any noise it generates travel right to the lower center of the dash.

But I'm surprised that you think the change is subtle -- mine was very obvious right away. (btw -- also an automatic here)

3leafz 11-04-2010 04:51 PM

i think the the bolts are very tight, the factory spec is about 80 lb/ft torque.
i havent driven my clubman for at least 3 weeks by then, i been on my MB c300, so probably i got used to the horsepowers that are offered on the MB engine. i will drive it more a bit this week, and will post feedback once again.
i will also take your advice that make sure the bolts are dead tight.

i have another thought, the reason i m experiencing the subtle change may be because i m driving a clubman? instead of the cooper hardtop? :confused:

-calvin

bbm 11-11-2010 08:57 AM

Got mine from ebay for $69 + free shipping. Took me 30 minutes to install. Very simple to do.

I have driven for aprox 200 miles now... agresively and normally. But I honestly can not feel any real difference on performance, and any added vibration. I also bought a Forge BOV from ebay and that I like, but that's another story.

Just a word of coution if you have a 2007 S R56. Most web sites where you can order the NM torque arm indicates that 2007 versus 2008+ models have different torque arms. They indicate 2007 has "A" shape inserts and 2008+ has "O" shape inserts. This is not always true for 2007 models, as my 2007 MCS has demonstrated. So if you have a 2007 model, the best thing to do is look under your car and see if you have the A or O shape torque arm. Refer to NM Engeenrings web site to see an example.

WayMotorWorks 11-11-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by bbm (Post 3158872)
Got mine from ebay for $69 + free shipping.

You overpayed, they are normally $59, and shipping is $5
http://www.waymotorworks.com/nm-engi...nt-insert.html

Herleman 11-11-2010 04:34 PM

Its hard for me to think that this addition could not be felt immediately, but of course, I have only my own experience to consider. I presume that a really good running Mini may not be as affected as one that is just normal.

Mine has had the all too common hesitation when I accellerate away from a stop. Others have described similar complaints here. I found that the motor seemed to be "winding up" and then finally the car mooves. I even felt that I could hear the phenomena.

I found that the addition of the insert seemed to stop most of the wind-up feeling. I hit the gas, and the car moves away. Its not a strange sensation -- its one that I used to get all the time in my other cars, but it was a strange sensation to feel it in the Mini. Now, having had the piece in place for about 3000 miles, I can tell you that I would not be without it, and my next Mini will get one on day one.

I will stand by my original assertion. Its an excellent addition to the car and I recommend it highly.

As with anything else, your mileage may vary. But that's how it felt in my 2009 MC automatic.

I hope others have the same findings.

BTW -- I paid $59.00 and had no shipping since I bought it at "Mickey meets Mini" in Orlando. Best $59 I've spent on this car.

GreyLens 12-11-2010 01:51 AM

I put the mod in three weeks ago and love it. It makes a very noticeable difference. That in combination with the NM Short Shifter has significantly changed the feel for the better.

I'll put one in my wife's automatic cooper S soon.

ammodave 12-11-2010 09:29 AM

I couldn't agree more; I teamed the insert with a Helix short throw shifter and together they really improve the driving experience. The hesitation is gone and I got no noticeable increase in vibration. Installing the insert takes 30min tops. The short throw shifter takes several hours; the instructions are good but there are a lot of nuts and bolts to deal with while you're on your back under the car.

3leafz 12-11-2010 12:24 PM

new updates,
the rattling seem to settled down after 500 miles of driving, and still, i dont really feel any added real performance, however, my friend told me the "gas peddling feel" is more solid on my clubman than his hardtop, which his doesnt have the torque insert installed.

(we both have the non-s cooper)

-calvin

Originally Posted by 3leafz (Post 3155877)
i think the the bolts are very tight, the factory spec is about 80 lb/ft torque.
i havent driven my clubman for at least 3 weeks by then, i been on my MB c300, so probably i got used to the horsepowers that are offered on the MB engine. i will drive it more a bit this week, and will post feedback once again.
i will also take your advice that make sure the bolts are dead tight.

i have another thought, the reason i m experiencing the subtle change may be because i m driving a clubman? instead of the cooper hardtop? :confused:

-calvin

jtbrown 04-09-2011 08:18 AM

Very silly question... when installing this, how do you remove the OEM rubber inserts? I got my torque arm removed easily enough but can't seem to figure out how to get the inserts released.

Any tips or tricks with this would be greatly appreciated.