North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Cooper (non S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s-190/)
-   -   DDM Works Air Intake vs. K&N Typhoon vs. DIY (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s/194799-ddm-works-air-intake-vs-k-and-n-typhoon-vs-diy.html)

Whoosh 08-16-2010 06:08 PM

DDM Works Air Intake vs. K&N Typhoon vs. DIY

Hey guys.

Has anyone taken a close look at the K&N Typhoon CAI for the normally aspirated MCs? I did. All it consists of is a cone filter that FITS right on the mass air sensor and a new CAI box top. Sure there is some extra tubing that replaces the stock tubing but this doesn't look like it provides any advantage.

Any thoughts about simply buying the cone filter (available on its own) and cutting out the top of the stock CAI box? It looks like it would fit.

Views?

pillar 08-16-2010 08:01 PM

Just a general suggestion...

Cutting implies irreversible damage in case you ever want to go back to stock. This is probably why most people don't sell their stock airboxs. Oem parts are nice backups in case all else fails.

jbewley 08-17-2010 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Whoosh (Post 3112152)
Hey guys.

Has anyone taken a close look at the K&N Typhoon CAI for the normally aspirated MCs? I did. All it consists of is a cone filter that FITS right on the mass air sensor and a new CAI box top. Sure there is some extra tubing that replaces the stock tubing but this doesn't look like it provides any advantage.

Any thoughts about simply buying the cone filter (available on its own) and cutting out the top of the stock CAI box? It looks like it would fit.

Views?

Go back to the "non S" forum, scroll down the "Clubman CAI", open it and you will find all you need to know about CAI's.

Jim

Whoosh 08-17-2010 08:48 AM

Before I get anymore "Go read the other posts" posts, I have read the other posts - duct taping, VIP tubes to delete the silencer box, OXY's complete delete of everything using a DIY cone filter, etc.

What I am trying to explore is whether the DDM Works CAI and the K&N CAI for the non-S MC provide a function that cannot be replicated simply with a cone filter fitted in the stock airbox with some additional ventilation (e.g. drilling 1/8" holes in the top to create a "grill" or cutting a 2.5"x5" square out).

I'm looking for a middle ground between OXY's complete delete (too loud for me) and the "duct tape" method (without paying $300.00). I don't mind paying money for an aftermarket part that performs a function that I can't easily reproduce for 1/8th the price.

So, in essence, what I'm asking is whether the DDM/K&N CAI setups are giving you more than simply a new/modified airbox and a cone filter (the K&N doesn't even do that - it simply gives you a new airbox top)? If they aren't, then I'm not paying 300.00 - [filter cost] for a steel box or plastice box-top.

Here's the spectrum as I see it:

Stock --> duct tape/VIP tube --> K&N Typhoon --> DDM Works --> OXY Complete Delete using cone filter.

jbewley 08-17-2010 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Whoosh (Post 3112505)
Before I get anymore "Go read the other posts" posts, I have read the other posts - duct taping, VIP tubes to delete the silencer box, OXY's complete delete of everything using a DIY cone filter, etc.

What I am trying to explore is whether the DDM Works CAI and the K&N CAI for the non-S MC provide a function that cannot be replicated simply with a cone filter fitted in the stock airbox with some additional ventilation (e.g. drilling 1/8" holes in the top to create a "grill" or cutting a 2.5"x5" square out).

I'm looking for a middle ground between OXY's complete delete (too loud for me) and the "duct tape" method (without paying $300.00). I don't mind paying money for an aftermarket part that performs a function that I can't easily reproduce for 1/8th the price.

So, in essence, what I'm asking is whether the DDM/K&N CAI setups are giving you more than simply a new/modified airbox and a cone filter (the K&N doesn't even do that - it simply gives you a new airbox top)? If they aren't, then I'm not paying 300.00 - [filter cost] for a steel box or plastice box-top.

Here's the spectrum as I see it:

Stock --> duct tape/VIP tube --> K&N Typhoon --> DDM Works --> OXY Complete Delete using cone filter.

I have the AirVip2 which is really just a K&N filter with a tube to get rid of the silencer. It works fine, better then OPM. I believe, from retorts I have gotten from others, that I will go to the DDM and keep the Vip tube.

Jim

Whoosh 08-17-2010 09:36 AM

Thanks Jim.

Do you find it quite loud without an airbox? I'm partial to the DDM Works as well. Some power and some sound.

jbewley 08-17-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Whoosh (Post 3112535)
Thanks Jim.

Do you find it quite loud without an airbox? I'm partial to the DDM Works as well. Some power and some sound.

I have not put the DDM on mine yet. I have kept an eye on air intake temps, with my scan guage and talked at great length with a friend that has the DDM. It seems that the temps are several degrees lower with the DDM. It is only my feeling, no poof, but the DDM is a schielded open cone (back of the metal box is open), so you would get max air flow, with some cooling air coming through the regular intake line from the front of the car. I want a bit more sound (not attention getting) and I believe this is the best set up for me. These are strictly my own beliefs, so others may disagree.

Jim

DOC4444 09-04-2010 04:54 AM

How much louder is the DDM than stock at both part and full throttle?

Thanks,

DOC

Inked469 09-20-2010 12:54 AM

I just bought a Spectre 3 In cone filter. I removed the factory airbox, and muffler. I left the intake from the bumper to try and get more cool air in the engine compartment. The Filter fit right over the end of the mass air flow sensor. I clamped it down with a 4 in clamp. It sounds a lot different, i have not had the time to see the driving results in fuel consumption. The filter cost me 30 bucks at Checker.

Mondo 10-06-2010 01:23 PM

Sometimes the length of the intake tube matters. I did the same thing as you with a Honda S2000 (clamped on a coned filter at the Mass Air Flow Sensor) and the dyno tuner said that I'm losing a few HP in the mid-top rpm range.
Doubt it's enough to notice on our Justas.... doubt you'll notice performance gains with any of the intakes actually.

Inked469 01-11-2011 10:50 PM

I didnt notice any HP gains. But I did notice that throttle response was a lot better. When I get some extra money I am going to swap the spectre filter for a Typhoon intake, that way I can pipe it all the way up to the grill and get cold air in. Second I am going to install a megan racing exhaust.

jbewley 01-13-2011 02:25 PM

Installed the DDM Intake a couple of weeks ago. It is louder then stock around 2500 to 2700 then mellows out. Engine idles much smoother and intake temps are about the same as stock. I like it.

Jim

Albiecrazy 01-19-2011 06:28 PM

I'm thinking about the DDM also. Glad you like it. I've already done the *modified intake silencer* and for the effort I did like the result. If anyone is familiar with this, how does it compare to installing the DDM? I can figure most things out, but I'm no mechanic. Just wondering if I may be able to do this myself...

rishardh 01-20-2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Albiecrazy (Post 3196983)
I'm thinking about the DDM also. Glad you like it. I've already done the *modified intake silencer* and for the effort I did like the result. If anyone is familiar with this, how does it compare to installing the DDM? I can figure most things out, but I'm no mechanic. Just wondering if I may be able to do this myself...

By *modified intake silencer* do you mean taping the silencer holes? If you can do that you are qualified to install the DDM intake :). I have not done this myself but I looked into it and it looks very simple. Remove the stock air filter housing and replace it with the DDM intake.

Albiecrazy 01-20-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by rishardh (Post 3197456)
By *modified intake silencer* do you mean taping the silencer holes? If you can do that you are qualified to install the DDM intake :). I have not done this myself but I looked into it and it looks very simple. Remove the stock air filter housing and replace it with the DDM intake.

Alright. :thumbsup: At least I'm qualified for something! And, yes - I did tape off the holes in the silencer. From looking at pics of the DDM, it seems pretty straightforward, but sometimes you never know...