North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Cooper (non S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s-190/)
-   -   Rattle in the Back??? 2010 Mini Cooper Base (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s/192672-rattle-in-the-back-2010-mini-cooper-base.html)

minimousenc 07-13-2010 05:51 PM

Rattle in the Back??? 2010 Mini Cooper Base

Just spent 2.5 hours at the dealership yesterday

I have a rattle in the back....of course drove almost all the way home and
heard it again, by then the dealer was closed and I just done sittiing a waiting

it's Not constant
When I hit a bump or on a rough road.
sounds louder when the seats are folded down
thought it was the shade in the back- took that out - still rattles
thought it might be the screwdriver under the trunk- took that out

Any ideas???

Mini Mee 07-13-2010 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :popcorn:

rayyy 07-14-2010 03:36 AM

I have a rattle coming from the black plastic cover under the steering wheel. The snaps on the cover was not as secure so every so often it snaps out & vibrates while on the road. I either snap it back in or listen to it rattle.

I brought it into the dealer to see if they can replace the cover but all they did was pop it back into place. AS IF I DIDN'T ALREADY TRY THAT!!

Herleman 07-16-2010 03:56 PM

Hi Mouse:

I think you're going to find that the rattle comes from the way that the trunklid enters the striker/lock assembly. (I road in back and pulled/pushed on everything back there while my wife looked for bumps and rough road -- the only thing that made it stop was when I pushed up on the hatch)

Simply put, the hatch moves up and down in relationship to the rest of the body.

When it does, it seems to rattle.

No fix as far as I can tell. I've messed with mine and adjusted the rubber bumpers on the lid on multiple occasions. Sometimes it goes away for awhile. It really needs some sort of vibration resistant material on the striker or on the latch -- or both. I don't know how to accomplish that. I wish some engineering type would market a fix.

In the meantime, if you're like many (most??) of us, you'll simply learn to tune it out.

Mini's seem to have lots of audible feedback. But you will learn to love it in spite of it.

Some will say to get a louder exhaust system. That would work.

10Zero 07-18-2010 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Couple of electrical tape wraps around the striker catch, it'll go away.

Herleman 07-18-2010 02:42 PM

I just tried that, and it seems to help a bit. The tape won't last for too many cycles of opening and closiing, but who cares? If it works, I'll retape it every week.

Thanks for the suggestion.

10Zero 07-18-2010 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Herleman (Post 3093063)
I just tried that, and it seems to help a bit. The tape won't last for too many cycles of opening and closiing, but who cares? If it works, I'll retape it every week.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I know the dealers should have a fix for this sort of thing, but it doesn't seem to matter when the dealers touch it. I've had mine wrapped in tape for 4 months now, still holding up just fine with just a slight deformation...no tears though.

Funny too, I have to do the same thing on the rear seat catches of my 99 4Runner...they start rattlin' on bumps, I know it's time for more tape.

33EJB 07-25-2010 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by minimousenc (Post 3089679)
Just spent 2.5 hours at the dealership yesterday

I have a rattle in the back....of course drove almost all the way home and
heard it again, by then the dealer was closed and I just done sittiing a waiting

it's Not constant
When I hit a bump or on a rough road.
sounds louder when the seats are folded down
thought it was the shade in the back- took that out - still rattles
thought it might be the screwdriver under the trunk- took that out

Any ideas???

My '08 Cooper had a rattle like you describe last winter. Worse in cold weather and if I hit a bump while cornering, even at low speeds.

Turned out to be worn rear sway bar bushings. Dealer replaced them under warranty - no charge. The noise has completely disappeared, quiet as new since then.

__________________________________________________ _