Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Lets see all your pictures of your R56 non-S mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:20 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_h
Non s sir
Very nicely done!

Old 04-20-2014, 03:59 AM
jexcc7
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's been a while for me to show my progress on my just a

recent mod
- full jcw body kit
- okada ignition coil
- oz wheel respray to graphite color
- license plate relocation
- rear wiper delete
- titanium exhaust tip with cooper s exhaust
(at first i just want to try out the diameter, and now, i m planning an cooper s full exhaust)

just a recap on before

and now the after

just installed the orranje g wing and rear diffuser

will do another photo shoot once my car is fully finished.
working on something amazing at the moment
here's a sneak peek

hope you guys do like it

Old 04-20-2014, 08:42 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Can you give us a full picture of the car now?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jexcc7
it's been a while for me to show my progress on my just a

recent mod
- full jcw body kit
- okada ignition coil
- oz wheel respray to graphite color
- license plate relocation
- rear wiper delete
- titanium exhaust tip with cooper s exhaust
(at first i just want to try out the diameter, and now, i m planning an cooper s full exhaust)

just a recap on before

hope you guys do like it
Yep - like it. What a transformation! Wasn't that a Milltek exhaust before the S exhaust? Too bad you're half a world a way - I would have been interested in that...

Old 04-20-2014, 01:22 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by brandon_h
its been quite some time since if updated my mod list, here some updated pics of the mini. Mod list

-Front Splitter
-New LED Headlights
-Led Tail lights
-Gp2 Diffuser
-New exhaust
-Hood Vents

The exhaust sounds great, but those are teaser shots, bro! Is that still a single exhaust exit? And what is that exhaust - if I recall your last one was a custom.

And one last question - if my eyes are any good you're running 215/45/17's. How low are you dropped and do you have any issues with rubbing?

Old 04-21-2014, 04:49 AM
jexcc7
Neutral
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Yep - like it. What a transformation! Wasn't that a Milltek exhaust before the S exhaust? Too bad you're half a world a way - I would have been interested in that...
Yup, it was the milltek exhaust before, becoz i really want my exahust to came out from the center, so i bought a cooper s exhaust and try to fit with the milltek front pipe and resonator and it works. so the milltek muffler is just sitting in my garage now lol

after some studies on the exhaust, i discover that i can fit aftermarket cooper s exhaust like invidia or akrapovic in my car

Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 PM
brandon_h
2nd Gear
The exhaust sounds great, but those are teaser shots, bro! Is that still a single exhaust exit? And what is that exhaust - if I recall your last one was a custom.

And one last question - if my eyes are any good you're running 215/45/17's. How low are you dropped and do you have any issues with rubbing?
hahah thanks man! cars looking great yourself!!! so jealous with the wilwoods!!! how do you like them?

Exhaust is still single pipe. its been upgraded to 2.75 diameter, secondary cat delete, resonator was put back in, then muffler delete replaced with a clubman S resonator hahah (i know really random) but it burbles like crazy now and has almost a subaru like note when hot.

205/40/17 front and 215/40/17 rears. as of right now her front end sits exactly 1.45 inches off the ground. both front and rear fenders are rolled to fit the 17x8.5 and 17x9.5 hahah but they still rub a lot.

here a video of how low the car is. its just a teaser and the full video will be out soon

Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Here you go Albie...
Name:  20140421_174503_zps0ybrnpxb.jpg
Views: 2110
Size:  155.9 KB

Molly turned over 76,000mi. on Friday and turned 6 years old on Saturday, and had a birthday check up at MINI of Portland.
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Yes, Albie those are FSD's!! It may take me a bit to get that profile shot, I'll try this weekend.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:11 AM
thadscottmoore
2nd Gear
Jexcc7, wow! I like this car! I have been thinking about doing the defuser and center exhaust on mine as well. any issues with the install?

Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 PM
brandon_h
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
Very nicely done!
Thank you

Old 04-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
brandon_h - thanks! Love the Wilwoods. Just what I needed visually and while many can say a BBK is overkill and unnecessary on street ride, they stop instantly. And I mean instantly. Very smooth pedal, too.

That is the most interesting exhaust for sure. Can't wait to hear the sound. That video clip... another tease, bro. Love that song so don't forget to post up once it's done.

Since you've messed around with an exhaust or two, I have a question. I've decided to get the VIP bolt on. I considered the "performance" version that welds on but I don't really feel like paying for the install. My old man has a lift so we shouldn't have a problem installing the bolt on. So that's where I'm headed - wondering what deleting the 2nd cat does. Less back pressure and better (louder) sound? I don't think I want to delete the resonator since I feel that's going to be too loud.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:32 AM
jexcc7
Neutral
Originally Posted by thadscottmoore
Jexcc7, wow! I like this car! I have been thinking about doing the defuser and center exhaust on mine as well. any issues with the install?
thanks the diffuser is not a big issue as long as u got the jcw body kit installed and the exhaust came out from the center like a S. the exhaust is a little bit tricky because the original exhaust on the just a is smaller than the cooper s one. so you made need to get a convert the muffler to fit it.
my set up is milltek exhaust for the cooper one, by using its front and center pipe and connect with the S muffler.

hope this helps

Old 04-29-2014, 11:29 AM
brandon_h
2nd Gear
brandon_h - thanks! Love the Wilwoods. Just what I needed visually and while many can say a BBK is overkill and unnecessary on street ride, they stop instantly. And I mean instantly. Very smooth pedal, too.

That is the most interesting exhaust for sure. Can't wait to hear the sound. That video clip... another tease, bro. Love that song so don't forget to post up once it's done.

Since you've messed around with an exhaust or two, I have a question. I've decided to get the VIP bolt on. I considered the "performance" version that welds on but I don't really feel like paying for the install. My old man has a lift so we shouldn't have a problem installing the bolt on. So that's where I'm headed - wondering what deleting the 2nd cat does. Less back pressure and better (louder) sound? I don't think I want to delete the resonator since I feel that's going to be too loud.

Any thoughts?
hahahah well better to have more stopping power than less. can save you in a hairy situation, that's for sure.

The second cat literally is just for extra cleaning. if you remove it, it doesn't throw code at all. it also will make the exhaust louder as well but as you said you do lose some back pressure, so getting of the line doesn't feel as quick, but on the freeway speeds, to me feels like its a tiny bit more responsive going the higher speeds. and tbh its not really that loud. i ran with no resonator and no secondary cat and just a Magnaflow muffler for a long time and everyone has told me it sounds great for a non-s. to me it doesn't sound overly loud.

I've tried just running a single resonator, no cat, no muffler, and that was TOO loud. but if you still got the primary cat and a muffler, i recommend just deleting both. my local shop just charged me $40 to cut both out and weld a single straight piece there.

ps: is the VIP cat back?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:41 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
The bolt on is resonator back, the performance is cat back and must be welded. I'm going to see how it sounds - if I want it a little louder, I'll delete the resonator and then I've got the performance system.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 PM
eaglebeagle
4th Gear
I didn't know non s had a resonator... I'm confused.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Yep. The VIP exhaust comes in two versions - one bolts on after the resonator, the other cuts out the second resonator and welds on after the cat.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Here you go Albie...

Molly turned over 76,000mi. on Friday and turned 6 years old on Saturday, and had a birthday check up at MINI of Portland.
How are you liking the feel of that new suspension? Looks great and I hear the FSD's are pretty comfortable compared to the yellows. And the Kid just hit 85K this week.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:41 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear

How are you liking the feel of that new suspension? Looks great and I hear the FSD's are pretty comfortable compared to the yellows. And the Kid just hit 85K this week.
Love the setup Albie!! We are on the last leg of our almost 3,000mi. round trip from WA to AZ and back, just the Molly Car and I!! We had a blast on the freeways of AZ...SL 65...people do 80 on those roads and you have to keep up!! ;-)
The new suspension has made driving her so much more FUN...and figure this out' cause I can't...except for going brain dead on the most boring flat roads in OR , CA, and AZ ,
I do not feel as tired as the 3 prior trips we've made on the exact same roads??!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 05-11-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:51 PM
mini on
4th Gear
Here you go Albie...

Happy birthday

Old 05-10-2014, 03:03 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini on
Happy birthday
Thank you mini on...glad to see you're still out there!! ?de00
The Molly Car and I just got back from a 9 day AZ Vacation yeterday, on our way down. she turned over 77,777, I pulled over to take a pic. and now she's very close to turning over 80,000!!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
New VIP exhaust (mellow system - resonator back) installed. I've been posting this everywhere, ha! Like everything about this exhaust - took a chance since couldn't find a good video to hear the note and got lucky. Has a great note - throaty and the deceleration note is deep, too.

Also like that I did the whole job myself - and got to see firsthand that this is a quality exhaust. Fit was perfect. Under 2 hours start to finish.

Name:  DSC_0009_zpsda0fc246.jpg
Views: 2204
Size:  187.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0046_zps88989043.jpg
Views: 2084
Size:  66.2 KB

Old exhaust...

Name:  DSC_0001_zps1215f30e.jpg
Views: 2334
Size:  112.8 KB

The following users liked this post:
mountainhorse (01-24-2020)
Old 05-19-2014, 08:24 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
jeez that is huge

Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Albiecrazy. Very nice job. Seems to sound real nice. And does look good. I was just wondering if you ever thought about installing the S type of exhaust on your mini? I was just curious because I was thinking on doing that. But if its a pita I will go your route.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 AM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Outstanding results and a great video! Thank you for posting!

Old 05-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
jeez that is huge
I'm guessing you're referring to the exhaust tip. Yeah - it's the only thing I don't like. 4" is the only size they have/can weld on is what I was told. I requested the JCW style slash tip, but was told it couldn't be done. If they did this with a 3 1/2" tip, it would look better IMO.

Originally Posted by ZIPPY "S"
Albiecrazy. Very nice job. Seems to sound real nice. And does look good. I was just wondering if you ever thought about installing the S type of exhaust on your mini? I was just curious because I was thinking on doing that. But if its a pita I will go your route.
I like the sound more and more. Acceleration is noticeably improved and the deceleration note is awesome! The sound that you hear in the video when the camera was mounted facing backwards is the most accurate sample of what it really sounds like with the windows open. And even though the tip is a little large, it helps that I have the JCW kit - I think it blends in better than stock. I personally wouldn't do the S exhaust, just not my thing. It also means dropping out the spare and dealing with re-routing/buying heat shield material. This pics explains it.

Name:  DSC_0039_zps7114da65.jpg
Views: 2701
Size:  89.5 KB

Originally Posted by Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
Outstanding results and a great video! Thank you for posting!
I took a chance and it worked out better than I could have hoped. If it droned or sounded ricey, I would have been stuck.

Quick Reply: Lets see all your pictures of your R56 non-S mods