Cooper (non S) Modifications specific to the MINI Cooper (R56).

Clubman CAI

Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman CAI

So I was contemplating purchasing the K&N Apollo Intake System(09 Clubman non-S) and decided to call outmotoring to confirm some details. I was told that there might be a massive air sensor that will not allow the CAI to work with it(they weren't sure if it was the Clubman that had the sensor or whether it was another model). Either way, since outmotoring cannot give a definitive answer, I'm relying on the NAM gods to point me in the right direction.

I see no other options as far as non-S CAI goes. :/

Old 12-23-2008, 10:02 AM
pillar
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the air sensor physically blocking the intake or is it something with the computer not liking free-er air flow.

dont quote me on this but i would think the air sensor would adjust the car to the free-er air supply. i cant seem to find a proper picture of a clubman engine bay

Old 12-23-2008, 10:17 AM
TChezem
2nd Gear
There is a MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) on the left side if the air box if you look under the hood. I looked at the K&N Kit and could not see an adadpter to keep the MAF in line with the CAI. I agree with OutMotoring, I don't think that CAI will work on a Clubman. Perhaps a K&N drop in filter may be best for the Clubman?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:30 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
As i believe the clubman and the coop have the same intake you may want to check out this thread and a few others. Search it your friend.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...induction.html

Edit: i just checked and both the clubman and the coop use the same intake box and parts to the engine so what every fits a coop should fit a clubman just fine.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:56 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TChezem
There is a MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) on the left side if the air box if you look under the hood. I looked at the K&N Kit and could not see an adadpter to keep the MAF in line with the CAI. I agree with OutMotoring, I don't think that CAI will work on a Clubman. Perhaps a K&N drop in filter may be best for the Clubman?

That's exactly what I was told. I was also informed that these were added after a certain date so not all(maybe all Clubman) are affected. I'm guessing the ECU will adapt to a perceived increased load because of the increase in air flow?(hence the problem with using the kit) Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I don't see a problem with the drop in temperature(cold part of the intake) but the increased absolute amount of air is probably the issue. Bah, someone make a working CAI for the Clubman non S please. x.x

Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
According to Mini Parts there is only one MAS, one Filter Box and one Plastic Intake Manifold for all 07/08/09 justacooper and 08/09 clubman.

With this in mind the Intake Manfold and the Filter Box would be removed and the CAI would go in place of those items. The MAS would be between the CAI and the Engine Intake Manifold. So what ever works on a R56 will work on a R55.

Now i may be wrong on this but This is how i see it. Done this on other cars. Just more parts to remove on the Mini.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:21 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
I really want to believe you schatzy... gah making it too easy to take the plunge. >.<

Old 12-23-2008, 07:36 PM
clayvt
3rd Gear
while i dont have an r55 i do have a coop r56 and i also want a CAI. but i was thinking of going with a setup like oxybluecoop has in this thread
( https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...or-intake.html )

pic of setup
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3086/...6131535a_b.jpg

but instead of buying the whole apollo kit i found that K&N makes these:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/univcone.aspx

you can find the dimensions you want and order that filter and it should just clamp onto the MAF sensor side of the airbox. so all in all remove the airbox and just slap the airfilter on. the only thing that has held me back is that i dont know the exact size i would need for the flange inside diameter. i think it is either 68 or 70mm. my calipers arent that exact to get a 2mm difference. so if someone knows what size the flange is....it would be greatly appreciated. though i do think you can get up to a 5.5 in diameter base in the space. i was thinking of going with either RC-9350 or RC-9310 from the K&N link above.
and as for the flow...the MAF should just tell the computer that there is increased airflow and adjust the fuel mixture. i wouldnt think it would throw a code. and oxybluecoop hasnt said if there was that problem. hope this helps.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:23 AM
pillar
5th Gear
thats a lot simpler than i thought... as long as its after the MAF sensor you should be alright. only issue is that these filters are very oily and will drip.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:50 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
VIP Custom Parts just sent an email saying that a CAI will be introduced by them for the standard R56 Cooper on 18 Jan 09. I believe the price is around $179.00

Old 12-30-2008, 12:22 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pillar
thats a lot simpler than i thought... as long as its after the MAF sensor you should be alright. only issue is that these filters are very oily and will drip.
Yes--- oily filters will ruin the MAF sensor.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:23 AM
BR55
1st Gear
CAI - VIP Custom Parts

Anyone interested in a Group Buy for CAI? I emailed VIP and they might be interested in the Group Buy from NAM Members - anyone have experience with this?

[FONT=Eurostile]AIRVIP: R55/R56/R57 Mini Cooper, Cabrio and Clubman Air Intake for 2007 - 2009 Models Part # 802[/FONT] (It was just released)

Old 01-31-2009, 04:44 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
BR55: I'm definitely in. Was just waiting for VIP custom to release this. At the same time though, I am curious as to see what DDM releases. :P Any info on what gains the VIP intake gives(if any?). Or at least a different sound?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:47 AM
BR55
1st Gear
No, I was wondering the same thing. When does DDM's product come out? VIPCP also has a nice strut brace (only $139) - they might cut us a deal on both...

Old 01-31-2009, 08:51 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Not sure if their brace clears for the non-S Clubman hoods though. I wanted to get the M7 and their's didn't clear. DDM is only in their testing phase so another few months. :/

Old 01-31-2009, 01:11 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
I just confirmed the intake option from VIP Custom. It is going to be a replacement for the stock air filter and a new cold intake tube. It won't be like oxybluecoop's setup. I was hoping it would be an open cone design. I guess the only way to do that would be DIY. VIP custom did state that we're looking at 5-8 horsepower(not sure how they came up with that number)

Old 01-31-2009, 06:12 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IzzyG
I just confirmed the intake option from VIP Custom. It is going to be a replacement for the stock air filter and a new cold intake tube. It won't be like oxybluecoop's setup. I was hoping it would be an open cone design. I guess the only way to do that would be DIY. VIP custom did state that we're looking at 5-8 horsepower(not sure how they came up with that number)
pleading for dyno guinea pigs before i take the plunge. anyone?

Old 01-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been running open cone filters since purchase going on 15 months and 65k. The intake for the 2009 is no different from my 2007. Previous discussion here:https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...or-intake.html

Old 01-31-2009, 07:09 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Oxy: Could you post a DIY for the open cone? I cannot figure out the parts you used. All I know is you had a friend fabricate a one off tube for you- which makes the mod difficult for the rest of us. Any suggestions?

Old 01-31-2009, 11:56 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Schatzy62's diagram is correct. The airbox(3) muffler(12) and plastic hose(14) all come out. As far as what filter to use well you can just wait until a complete system is released(probably similar to this one in Thailand)

For those folks who want something in the meantime or just a cheap simple setup there are two obstacles to overcome. The first obstacle will be finding an over the counter cone filter with the necessary 2 3/4" diameter opening needed to fit the MAF sensor as most start at 3". The second obstacle is how to secure the filter. There are a few points in the engine bay to secure it to. Here are my previous setups:

Here's how to remove the stock assembly so grab your popcorn

First off I would disconnect your negative battery cable and press your brake so your ECU will be reset once you finish.

BTW great diagram Schatzy!

Step 1: Loosen the fixed bolt(4)

Step 2: Remove the bolt securing the muffler to the engine(13)

Step 3: Where the plastic intake hose(14)connects to the muffler(12)wiggle that tab(second pic) on the left and pull the hose out.

Step 3: Loosen the clamp on the left side of the MAF where it attaches to the rubber hose.

Step 4: Disconnect the MAF sensor. It's a simple clip just push in on the tap and pull

Step 5: Hold the muffler(12)and pull up to unlock it from the airbox and off she goes.

Step 6: The airbox has two rubber grommets(6) holding it to the engine so your gonna need to give it a good pull straight up and it'll come out.

Step 7: The intake hose(14) is the most stubborn to remove. It has two lips that hold it to the frame. I just squeeze it real tight and wiggled it loose.

Now that the entire assembly is removed it's time to disconnect the MAF sensor from the airbox. Very simple procedure just loosen the two torx bolts(an allen wrench works fine) and pull the MAF sensor out.

When you go to attach your new cone filter take a look at the air flow direction arrow on the side of the MAF sensor. The filter attaches to the honeycombed end.

I found everything I needed for all my setups at Pep Boys. The other stores just had the filters where Pep Boys has all different accessories and sizes.

Hope this helped.

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 08-05-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:23 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Oxy: Why did you switch from the first 2 set ups to the 3rd one?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
I have the lowest IAT's aind highest air flow volume with my current setup.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:39 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
I have the lowest IAT's aind highest air flow volume with my current setup.
interesting. i'm a newbie to this induction stuff. not you for sure. thanks for the diy guide and pics. very informative. guess the oem air intake tubing is pretty weak and hot. i'm guessing vipmotor's new CAI coming out will have the similar restrictions albeit a less restrictive filter. how are you measuring the IAT and air flow? via obd2?

Old 02-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
interesting. i'm a newbie to this induction stuff. not you for sure. thanks for the diy guide and pics. very informative. guess the oem air intake tubing is pretty weak and hot. i'm guessing vipmotor's new CAI coming out will have the similar restrictions albeit a less restrictive filter. how are you measuring the IAT and air flow? via obd2?
The air temps are on my ScanGauge II and volume with a air flow meter.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:16 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IzzyG
just saw a new picture of the intake option from VIPCustomParts. I already have the K&N drop-in filter. do y'all think the new intake tube will make a substantial additional difference?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clubman CAI