North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Cooper (non S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s-190/)
-   -   Exhaust options? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/cooper-non-s/148811-exhaust-options.html)

drewstermalloy 11-28-2009 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by jbewley (Post 2925623)
I ran across this on Mini2. Milteck makes it, but the link is from their USA importer. Scroll down to the bottom and there is a header/down pipe/cat that will fit the regelar MC. Anyone heard of this?

http://www.stratmosphere.com/mini_exhausts.htm

Jim

That's definitely not for an R56. Our aftermarket headers look like this:

http://www.supersprint.com/public/images/20595.jpg

jbewley 11-29-2009 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by drewstermalloy (Post 2925812)
That's definitely not for an R56. Our aftermarket headers look like this:

http://www.supersprint.com/public/images/20595.jpg

I've never looked under the hood of "S". I take it their header comes off the opposite side of the engine then the Non "S"? The one above still looks a bit restrictive to me. Does it really make much of a defference?

Jim

lacning74 11-30-2009 10:36 AM

Well, to keep things sorta legal, I'm just doing a muffler swap. Just ordered the 11132 Magnaflow universal online for $70 shipped that Waterman used. Looking forward to the deeper growl.

jbewley 11-30-2009 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by lacning74 (Post 2926479)
Well, to keep things sorta legal, I'm just doing a muffler swap. Just ordered the 11132 Magnaflow universal online for $70 shipped that Waterman used. Looking forward to the deeper growl.

Not sure what you mean by "sorta legal". I'm looking for less back pressure and not much increase in sound.

Jim

lacning74 11-30-2009 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by jbewley (Post 2926573)
Not sure what you mean by "sorta legal". I'm looking for less back pressure and not much increase in sound.

Jim

Well, I guess technically any non-factory modifications to the exhaust are actually illegal. I figure a muffler swap is less "invasive" than a header/second cat/resonator mod (where the real gains are). I'm hoping for some deeper growl and not too much attention while cruising.

jbewley 11-30-2009 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by lacning74 (Post 2926582)
Well, I guess technically any non-factory modifications to the exhaust are actually illegal. I figure a muffler swap is less "invasive" than a header/second cat/resonator mod (where the real gains are). I'm hoping for some deeper growl and not too much attention while cruising.

Got ya, that sounds like sound reasoning to me. I don't plan to do anything to the exhaust until warrenty is up. I took the chance with the K&N and the airvip2, but nothing else performance wise right now.

Jim

drewstermalloy 11-30-2009 01:41 PM

In NYS, you need at least 1 cat to pass inspection too. I was really set on getting new "racing" headers until I read up on the laws. :sad:

The one I showed a picture of is for an MC, I'm not quite sure what the MCS headers look like. But the Stratmosphere website's header setup was probably for an R50 or an older model.

jbewley 11-30-2009 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by drewstermalloy (Post 2926655)
In NYS, you need at least 1 cat to pass inspection too. I was really set on getting new "racing" headers until I read up on the laws. :sad:

The one I showed a picture of is for an MC, I'm not quite sure what the MCS headers look like. But the Stratmosphere website's header setup was probably for an R50 or an older model.

Way back when, I had a TR Spitfire and really wanted to put an Abarth Free Exhaust on it. It was very much the rage then and was suppose to increase performance. Abarth no longer exsists and laws have changed, so perhaps I should do a bit of research. I'll see if I can get more info on the Milteck set up and report back.

Jim

lacning74 12-02-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by jbewley (Post 2925836)
I've never looked under the hood of "S". I take it their header comes off the opposite side of the engine then the Non "S"? The one above still looks a bit restrictive to me. Does it really make much of a defference?

Jim

It's the cat delete that frees up flow.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/g/g/239.png

Oxybluecoop 12-02-2009 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by lacning74 (Post 2927927)
It's the cat delete that frees up flow.

https://www.2mx.com/go/http://www.re...ms/g/g/239.png

Yes it it and you should still pass emissions with the second removed since only the first is monitored by the ECU.

drewstermalloy 12-05-2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP (Post 2928014)
Yes it it and you should still pass emissions with the second removed since only the first is monitored by the ECU.

Do you get a CEL without any cats?

Oxybluecoop 12-05-2009 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by drewstermalloy (Post 2929990)
Do you get a CEL without any cats?

Yes if you remove the first cat the second o2 sensor will read the same as the first and you'll get a CEL. I've tried a few simulators and none work. Fortunately with the double VANOS this engine adjusts to the changes without running too rich and killing your fuel economy(not that it matters to me anyway).

tmo8462 12-08-2009 03:42 AM

Thanks.

Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP (Post 2772927)
Figured I'd bump this thread. For those interested in an aftermarket systems here's Supersprint's full setup. That header looks nice.:eek:

Thanks for all the links. Im looking forward to ordering the parts from here.

tmo8462 12-08-2009 04:03 AM

VIP exhaust

Originally Posted by jbewley (Post 2851601)
I checked with VIP Custom and they are working on an exhaust for the Clubman and R56 MC. The one they have for the "S" sounds good from the sound clip on their web site. I like their stuff, so I'm waiting for this to be available.

Jim

I heard from them last week, here is what they said word for word, "It will still be sometime before we can sell them, I can not give you a date , but will update you in two weeks." I am still waiting to see what they have to say for it. So far they have kept me informed with info about it.:thumbsup: better than what i've heard about Riss and the R56s parts that have been put out lately.

jbewley 12-08-2009 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by tmo8462 (Post 2931884)
I heard from them last week, here is what they said word for word, "It will still be sometime before we can sell them, I can not give you a date , but will update you in two weeks." I am still waiting to see what they have to say for it. So far they have kept me informed with info about it.:thumbsup: better than what i've heard about Riss and the R56s parts that have been put out lately.

Thanks, I'll be iterested it what you find out.

Jim

tmo8462 12-08-2009 05:35 AM

No problem. Im still looking for other companies but I'll keep with them, they've actually kept me posted with updates on it.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: which is a great thing.

jbewley 12-08-2009 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by tmo8462 (Post 2931915)
No problem. Im still looking for other companies but I'll keep with them, they've actually kept me posted with updates on it.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: which is a great thing.

I guess I fell out of their loop. I have been happy with the VIP items I have ordered and don't want to turn heads with the sound. I live in the country and the police in the small towns I go through can't exactly mistake my car for all the others just like it. :nod:

Jim

tmo8462 12-08-2009 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by jbewley (Post 2931919)
I guess I fell out of their loop. I have been happy with the VIP items I have ordered and don't want to turn heads with the sound. I live in the country and the police in the small towns I go through can't exactly mistake my car for all the others just like it. :nod:

Jim

I get you on that one but with a exhaust and intake your going to turn heads no matter what. i do it here in spain with just my intake and factory exhaust. but its still nice to get the look.

tmo8462 01-02-2010 03:29 AM

Still waiting on the news from VIP just emailed them today hopefully I'll here back from them soon.

berts91 01-06-2010 09:44 AM

what hks exhaust is that? the universal? how does it sound do u have a video clip

berts91 01-06-2010 09:46 AM

what hks exhaust is the? is it the universal one and how does it sound any vid clips?

tmo8462 01-06-2010 02:01 PM

Just got a email from VIPCUSTOMS about when they were going to release their Catback for the non -s this is what they said.
"The production versions are on hold until some needed tooling for our mandrel bender comes in from the manufacture, they keep delaying us. Thank you for your patience. We will contact you asap. VIP" I'll keep the info coming when i get it. But I just ordered my exhaust myself and will hopefully have it and put on within the next few weeks. Total custom piping and a universral magnaflow muffler.