Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Hauling Classic Minis

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Hauling Classic Minis

I'm looking to plan a trip to the CMU 60th in Wytheville, VA next October. I'll be travelling from South Central PA, it is a straight shot down I-81 for about 350 of the 400 mile trip. I'm not particularly interested in running my Rover Mini down I-81 for 7 hours, even with detours for the Blue Ridge Parkway and other scenic runs. So, I'm looking at suggestions for the best budget friendly way to haul a classic. I currently have an F-250 with an 8 foot bed that is set up to tow with a 7 pin plug. I would prefer not to tow at all, definitely not dolly tow it. Renting a trailer is the easiest option, but that is a last resort. Buying a trailer is even easier, but I don't really have the room to store it.

Unfortunately, I think the factory bed on my truck is just a little too short to haul the Mini, even if I build a subframe over the wheel wells. The other idea is tearing off the factory bed (it's rough anyway) and build a 10 foot long flatbed with integrated tie-downs, etc. I'm looking for creative, and most importantly, budget friendly ideas. The thought also crossed my mind to buy an old box truck and convert the back to haul the car and have sleeping space. I also take motorcycles on trips, so bonus points if said solution hauls bikes and is covered.

So, how do ya'll haul your classics?

Last edited by Derek86; 01-04-2019 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Grammar Nazi
Old 12-14-2018, 01:45 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
"UPS"

save the box, it is reusable

if you return to the rent a trailer or tow dolly option

be aware that there are wheelbase (width) and low bottom clearance issues with both car trailers and dolly. Last time I tried U-Haul would not rent for moving a Mini and they knew the difference between a MINI and a Mini. AND for them putting a car INSIDE a box trailer or box truck is a no no.

SOOOOOOO ... be careful what you tell them if you go this route AND be willing to accept risks.

a Mini is SO light and you have a 'prime mover' .....

have you considered a cheap trailer kit ... not a full car trailer, just a bigger utility trailer (easier to store) ....

Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, SAMS CLUB ... they bolt together but if you have a friend with a MIG welder so much the better.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 12-14-2018 at 03:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Derek86 (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
if you return to the rent a trailer or tow dolly option

be aware that there are wheelbase (width) and low bottom clearance issues with both car trailers and dolly. Last time I tried U-Haul would not rent for moving a Mini and they knew the difference between a MINI and a Mini. AND for them putting a car INSIDE a box trailer or box truck is a no no.

SOOOOOOO ... be careful what you tell them if you go this route AND be willing to accept risks.
Oh yeah, I've dealt with U-Haul before, buying an inexpensive trailer would definitely be easier.

a Mini is SO light and you have a 'prime mover' .....

have you considered a cheap trailer kit ... not a full car trailer, just a bigger utility trailer (easier to store) ....

Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, SAMS CLUB ... they bolt together but if you have a friend with a MIG welder so much the better.
There are always inexpensive landscape and utility trailers for sale on Craigslist, just don't have a place to store one long term.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:21 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I flat tow mine, cheapest and easiest way to cover long distances....I built my towbar and have done probably 5K miles with it so far. You also don't need an F250 to pull it, I haul mine with my 2009 Clubman S automatic. Just need a hitch. Of course the Ford will pull it easily too....just remember, you cannot back up with it attached, pull forward only. I use a set of Harbor Freight trailer lights inside the rear window..easy peasy and inexpensive.

Derek86 (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
OK

I'll bite

why can't you back up? I see plenty of folks towing here in an RV friendly part of the country but I am NOT one of them .....

WHY can't I back up?

Just because of control issues?

Old 12-17-2018, 05:19 AM
colinmini
5th Gear
Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
I flat tow mine, cheapest and easiest way to cover long distances....I built my towbar and have done probably 5K miles with it so far. You also don't need an F250 to pull it, I haul mine with my 2009 Clubman S automatic. Just need a hitch. Of course the Ford will pull it easily too....just remember, you cannot back up with it attached, pull forward only. I use a set of Harbor Freight trailer lights inside the rear window..easy peasy and inexpensive.
Flat towed my wife’s 1974 Austin Classic Mini with my Mazda5 microvan from Ohio to Connecticut and back. Didn’t even know it was there! Lol. Couple of comments:
-I made sure the Mini was completely serviced:
-Used a Harbor Freight tow bar(replaces the front eye hooks with bolts for the tow bar mounted)
-Used HF magnetic trailer lights in the Mini rear window deck
-Travelled at reasonable speeds ( kepted it below 60mph)
-Checked wheel bearing temps at each stop.

Derek86 (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:26 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
I did some digging into old threads and such, found some useful information. I could definitely get away with towing it with my R53 but that would involve quite a bit of work to put the setup together, and then I'd still be putting wear mileage on the Mini. Definitely an option, but probably below rental trailer on my list. Of course the MINIs 25mpg would be better than a trucks 11mpg.

Based on GVWR, I could probably get away with using a large landscaping trailing as long as I could secure the vehicle properly. They tend to be cheaper, more readily available, and hold their value to a point. I would still want a tandem axle to hold the weight.

I did find some other viable options...

Old 12-18-2018, 06:32 AM
basilthemini
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flat tow....only option for our little cars if you want to preserve the running gear/bearings, etc.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:49 PM
Pflashinaz
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From this view it looks like the guy in the truck can't even see his Mini. Oh, wait, that's me and yes I couldn't see my Mini!
But seriously, for expense and bother, the tow bar is the solution for your needs. Personally, I'd rather put it on a trailer, but you really don't have to go that far!

Above photo taken at the Mogollon Rim Visitors Center, off of Highway 260, just East of Payson, AZ.

Last edited by Pflashinaz; 12-18-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Need to add location
Derek86 (12-19-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:19 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
You can't back up because the caster will try to turn the wheels and you can damage the car.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:44 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
good to know

obviously I don't tow ... ever

Old 12-19-2018, 10:34 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Not sure what your budget is, but maybe a truck deck? How much does you classic weight? I have seen trucks in Colorado with a couple of ATV's or snowmobiles on it.

http://a.co/d/5cM0JZd

Derek86 (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pflashinaz

From this view it looks like the guy in the truck can't even see his Mini. Oh, wait, that's me and yes I couldn't see my Mini!
But seriously, for expense and bother, the tow bar is the solution for your needs. Personally, I'd rather put it on a trailer, but you really don't have to go that far!
The Mini will look as ridiculous behind my F250. The tow bar is probably the best option, I just don't know how I feel about hauling 800 miles, adding wear and tear to the car. I'm still really trying to see if I can come up with a low cost but safe and reliable way to get the car into the bed of the truck. Width isn't a problem but the length is borderline.

You can't back up because the caster will try to turn the wheels and you can damage the car.
My guess is, in a pinch you could have someone you trust (and trusts you) sit in the towed vehicle and hold the steering wheel to back up. Wouldn't recommend doing it unless you had to...

good to know

obviously I don't tow ... ever
I wouldn't either if I lived where classic cars and motorcycles were a year-round experience.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lotter1
Not sure what your budget is, but maybe a truck deck? How much does you classic weight? I have seen trucks in Colorado with a couple of ATV's or snowmobiles on it.

http://a.co/d/5cM0JZd
Probably about 1500lbs, shouldn't be a problem for my truck.

I had been looking at these for ideas, but I don't see a reason to lift the car so high. The car may just squeeze between the bed's wheel wells on my Ford, the length is the issue. The higher I have to get the car off the ground, the more challenging. If I can work out a way to safely attached some rails for the tires to sit in, the back end could hang past the end of the bed just a bit. Some ramps and a winch and you could be pretty safe loading and unloading.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:31 AM
Pflashinaz
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regarding hauling the Mini in the back of the truck. I've seen people at Mini Meets do this. Most were so scary loading and unloading no one wanted to watch. I realize today with the number of people hauling ATV's and such in the bed of their trucks it's probably much more engineered. But the expense has to be way more than a towbar. If you can drive your Mini safely, you can tow your Mini safely. 800 miles is not that much, besides if you do your regular maintenance (wheel bearings) and check your alignment you should be good to go.

Back in the late 70's and 80's I used to tow bar my Mini to LA from Phoenix quite often. Even tow bared the Mini to East Meets West Mini Meet in Denver in 89'! I've lent it out several times. Still have it, but admit I don't use it that often. Prefer to use a trailer if I have to tow it.

Here is the one I made back in the 80's

Derek86 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 05:55 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I've flat towed mine from KC to Tennessee a couple of times, and to San Antonio for an event in the hill country, my buddy and I towed his from Dallas to San Diego and back, it doesn't hurt them. You don't have to use a truck or big vehicle to tow them they're so light, I use my MINI Clubman S (automatic) and my buddy used his 2002 Cooper S. I have a friend who uses her Hyundai Veloster.....

I follow what you'd like to do, but it sounds like a real engineering effort to me. It will fit on a U-Haul trailer - I've used them a number of times. hope to see you at CMU 60 next October!

Derek86 (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 05:06 PM
Derek86
6th Gear
I've flat towed mine from KC to Tennessee a couple of times, and to San Antonio for an event in the hill country, my buddy and I towed his from Dallas to San Diego and back, it doesn't hurt them. You don't have to use a truck or big vehicle to tow them they're so light, I use my MINI Clubman S (automatic) and my buddy used his 2002 Cooper S. I have a friend who uses her Hyundai Veloster.....

I follow what you'd like to do, but it sounds like a real engineering effort to me. It will fit on a U-Haul trailer - I've used them a number of times. hope to see you at CMU 60 next October!
I've been kicking this around during my downtime between the holidays. I think either way I'm going to end up on a trailer, whether I rent one or buy one. I would definitely have to build a frame over the wheel wells in the truck's bed, on top of having to build a frame for length. At that point I might as well tear off the bed and build a longer flatbed for the truck permanently. That's real engineering and a big undertaking.

If I find a dumb deal on a box truck I could also sleep in it, but a trailer is still cheaper and easier.

Truth be told, I'm just not sold on the flat towing. Don't know if I ever will be. I have an F-250 with a Class III hitch and 7 pin trailer connector, I'd rather just put the car on a trailer. Most of the car trailers I could put a bike on there as well.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:59 AM
basilthemini
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pflashinaz
Regarding hauling the Mini in the back of the truck. I've seen people at Mini Meets do this. Most were so scary loading and unloading no one wanted to watch. I realize today with the number of people hauling ATV's and such in the bed of their trucks it's probably much more engineered. But the expense has to be way more than a towbar. If you can drive your Mini safely, you can tow your Mini safely. 800 miles is not that much, besides if you do your regular maintenance (wheel bearings) and check your alignment you should be good to go.

Back in the late 70's and 80's I used to tow bar my Mini to LA from Phoenix quite often. Even tow bared the Mini to East Meets West Mini Meet in Denver in 89'! I've lent it out several times. Still have it, but admit I don't use it that often. Prefer to use a trailer if I have to tow it.

Here is the one I made back in the 80's
I know those jacking blocks well pictured on your bed....was the FIRST Thing I bought many years ago when I got my classic.

Pflashinaz (01-07-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 07:37 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
I just recently bought a Classic. It was/is non running and decided to rent a uhaul 6x12 open trailer with ramp. That didn't work! the gate opening is only 56.5" and the mini measured 57.5".

Derek86 (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 10:07 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
If only your wheels had a slightly higher offset...

Old 04-04-2019, 10:09 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Derek86
If only your wheels had a slightly higher offset...
after a few choice words, that was my thoughts exactly!

Old 04-04-2019, 02:12 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
had you a set of 'original' wheels and tires you'd have made it!

the book body width is 4 ft 7 and 1/2

aka 55.5 inches . . .

What did Bob Vila say: measure twice .... cut once ....

SO, we know you got it home .... what did you do to solve your problem?

Old 04-04-2019, 02:41 PM
lotter1
4th Gear
What did Bob Vila say: measure twice .... cut once ....

SO, we know you got it home .... what did you do to solve your problem?
Good old Bob! I just figured, wrongly so, that if you rent a 6ft wide trailer that the loading ramp would be close to that number, not a foot or more smaller?

The people I bought it from was kind enough to trailer it home for me!

Old 10-05-2019, 06:00 AM
vrmancha37
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harbor Freight towbar question

Do you happen to have any images of how you mounted the freight harbor towbar to mini? I have to haul my mini rover next week to Tempe and by looking at the towbar online and the front of my mini I cannot see where it would mount.
‘Thanks in advanced.

valentin

Originally Posted by colinmini

Flat towed my wife’s 1974 Austin Classic Mini with my Mazda5 microvan from Ohio to Connecticut and back. Didn’t even know it was there! Lol. Couple of comments:
-I made sure the Mini was completely serviced:
-Used a Harbor Freight tow bar(replaces the front eye hooks with bolts for the tow bar mounted)
-Used HF magnetic trailer lights in the Mini rear window deck
-Travelled at reasonable speeds ( kepted it below 60mph)
-Checked wheel bearing temps at each stop.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:37 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
I leave for CMU on Wednesday, ended up renting a 15x7 foot enclosed trailer from a local place for a week for $250. Can't beat that deal after hassling with U-Haul. Seemed to be the best way to also manage tools and cargo, everything can get locked in the trailer. Also means I can bring some heavier tools that other people might not be able to bring, in case anyone needs them.

Quick Reply: Hauling Classic Minis