Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Classic mini wanted

Old 08-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Clint Billimack
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classic mini wanted

Looking to get into buying a classic mini. Currently have a 70 triumph spitfire that I would be willing to trade/trade plus cash. Triumph is running and driving worth around 3k. Any minis around that price range would be great as I would sell the triumph to buy a mini.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:08 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine's for sale, but that's an extremely low price point if you're wanting something that runs.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:09 PM
Clint Billimack
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Mine's for sale, but that's an extremely low price point if you're wanting something that runs.
do you have an image(s) of yours and an rough value of the car so I can get an idea?

Old 08-09-2018, 08:42 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Old 08-10-2018, 12:40 AM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Classic Mini

Originally Posted by Clint Billimack
Looking to get into buying a classic mini. Currently have a 70 triumph spitfire that I would be willing to trade/trade plus cash. Triumph is running and driving worth around 3k. Any minis around that price range would be great as I would sell the triumph to buy a mini.
Here are some for sale take a pic if your willing to spend shipping.. 1 is rediculous price the other is a little high..

Old 08-11-2018, 09:16 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
since OP is perhaps not familiar with Mini

one should note that there is no such thing as a 1976 or 1979 Mini Cooper ..... both of these are probably Saloon models ....

the Cooper (and S) model was built from 1961 thru 1971 ..... and even in those years it was a trim/equipment package .... an optional package

a 'real' Cooper or S is potentially worth substantially more than a non Cooper Mini ... Not every 66 Mustang is a Shelby either ...

Walton's book "Mini Cooper and S" (Jeremy Walton, 1982 and 2004) using numbers from "Longbridge" set production at about 45,000 units for Cooper and 101,000 for S counting only the 61 - 71 units . With total Mini production being over 5 million units that makes about 3.3% if my math is correct

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-11-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:58 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
You're quite correct about "real" Coopers or S models, Capt__bj. One thing OP should know is that it's common to change out the engine for a larger size--mine is 1275cc. My car also has upgraded 8.4" brakes. It stops pretty well!

Last edited by daffodildeb; 08-11-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:35 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
What is a Saloon model? Is the Mini Innocenti one?

Old 08-11-2018, 02:38 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Saloon was just the 'run of the mill" Mini from the beginning ....
this article mentions the Saloon model name often https://www.minimania.com/Mini_Identification_1803#9
Saloons
Common to all the Mk I Minis were the
exterior door hinges, sliding windows, smaller oval tail lights, and the rear, swinging license plate holder.
Saloons
The major changes from the earlier cars were a different shaped front
grille (incorporating trim on the leading edge of the bonnet), a slightly bigger rear window, and larger, square tail lights.
Saloons (Non-Clubman)
Along with the roll up windows and lack of
external hinges, the rear quarter windows were larger and the boot lid, swinging license plate mount went away with the rear plate now mounted right to the lid.

My 79 was a Saloon 1000 originally, 1000 reflected the engine size (998), I got a lot of original paperwork from UK with mine and this is on early registrations and MOT.
The badge on mine originally read simply MINI 1000

as DAF states too, most Mini you find in the states today are probably gonna be modified in some way ... and knowing what to look for along those lines is significant too.
{if you play in the collector car world there is the thing of "numbers matching car" ... not many Mini in the US fit this category and those that do are $$$ esply if a Cooper.
The guys at Classic Motorsports Mag found a 'barn find' that fit the bill and did a <mag sponsored> full restore and sold the car for upwards of $30,000 .. I saw the car at a show last year. The articles about the restore are on their web site}

my 79 wears body parts from a Mark 1 (early) car like the rounded grill and tail lites, and front brakes from a Cooper S (7 1/2 inch disks which allows use of 10" wheels)
the original 998 engine replaced with a 1275 A+ MG Metro .... and that engine is further modified.

I show my car a lot, and have fun with the sign I put on it: Mini {not a Cooper}

{p.s. $10,000 and you can buy it today}

Innocenti???? Do you know what that means? An Italian company that built the Mini under licence .... another factor to consider when buying a 'classic'. They were not all made in England! They were made in MANY countries and how much is original Brit and how much is local parts and how similar they are can vary widely. New Zealand cars, South Africa cars, South American cars, Italian cars. A non UK built car can introduce some parts issues along the way. I know a guy with an 'original' body shell that's 100% fiberglass . . . not a UK car (he's been trying to get it together for 10 years ...)

and let's not even get into the entire category of a car flying under false colors cuz the VIN was falsified for gray market import ....

I'll admit I knew NONE of this when I bought my car in 2004 ..... I got lucky in that as I learned I discovered I'd not been horribly ripped off .. VERY LUCKY.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-11-2018 at 02:43 PM.