Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

First Classic Mini (should I do it?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 01:16 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
First Classic Mini (should I do it?)

Hi, I have found a classic mini very close to where I live for sale. I am trying to find reasons to go for it or stay away. Let me give you the situation I am in.

I currently have a 2002 Mini Cooper S. I have been saving up to get another vehicle as I never want to sell the 02 for a few reasons. I was thinking of getting into something newer like a 2014+ Focus ST (which I have wanted for a long time). But my father just came across this 1978 Austin Mini. I have not yet gotten much info on it yet but before I bug the seller I want to know the input you guys have that either have or had owned a classic mini in the US.

Should I spend most of my money to get a classic mini and continue to daily drive my 2002, and then have an awesome ride for the summer. Or should I be more practical and get the Focus ST and save a classic mini for a few years down the road.

Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...essenger_share

Old 07-21-2018, 12:44 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Having owned a classic Mini, I would probably not buy a classic Mini and keep my existing R53 . . but that's just me. But thats a nice little classic, and at a decent price too!

Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
We had a 77 Leyland Mini 1000 a few years back. The car got LOTS of attention when we were out in it......but honestly it wasnt fun to drive at all. It was incredibly slow (ours was an automatic). Decided to sell it after owning it for a year or so. I now have an r53 again for our “fun car” which satisfies my spirited driving habits.....have a Tacoma as my daily driver.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:10 AM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
You definitely want to carefully inspect and drive before you consider buying. I love my '75 as well as my '03 S, but a classic is not really a daily driver although it is incredibly fun on a drive in the countryside. A classic requires you to be ready for repairs, but it's a simple car for the most part. If you have decent mechanical skills it can be rewarding- if not expect to pay someone familiar with these we beasties. Of course an '02 can cost too. Try to be objective when you look- and really look for rust. Always buy the best shell possible. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2018, 06:44 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the key to this decision is can you do your own work? These cars require owner involvement to stay reliable. Once the deferred maintenance is done they can be very reliable but do require routine maintenance. If you can't do it, it can get expensive...…..

Old 07-24-2018, 06:48 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll need to plan for much more maintenance. Lots of it! Everything from more frequent oil changes to things that are just worn out from age. Can you do the work yourself? If money is an issue, and it sounds like it is, don't get the classic.

I had an itch to scratch, and bought a classic about 2 years ago. I spent close to a year finding one that I could afford, and that seemed to be in good condition. It wasn't. In spite of the mechanic's assurances that all was well when I had a PPI done, I've had nothing but trouble. I've put in about $2500 in the past 18 months, and most of that was NOT scheduled maintenance. Don't forget, no power steering, slow speeds, rough ride. You won't be happy if you try to compare it in any way to modern cars. Sorry, but you asked...

BTW, mine's for sale, and you're welcome to drive it if you're anywhere near Arkansas. Just bought an '02 Boxster for exactly the same price I'd originally spent on the Mini. One's a modern car and one's an old car.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:50 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Looking at that car with no engine pics I would for sure do a lot more homework on it and have it inspected. I have a 66 Cooper S and I've always got something to do to it so it will be far more maint than a Focus ST.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-28-2018, 02:40 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus ST (ST-3, Tang' Scream) as my daily driver

on our third MINI, Mrs daily driver is a 15 R-59 Roadster - S

and I've owned a 79 'classic' since 2004

Owning a 'classic Mini' means you have the tools, experience, willingness to learn, facilities and $ to keep it running .... it is not a car you take to the dealer if it burps ... and it WILL burp .... REGULARLY. In order to keep mine 'reliable' and retain value I've taken classes in welding, body repair and auto painting ... so many that I was invited to become an instructor at the place I was taking the classes! I have 'disposable income' to support my 'classic' hobby as well as a big garage full of tools and time to work on the car (retired)

A Focus ST is a super fun car to drive ..... arguably a better handling car that the MINI of the same year altho one must admit there are certain size weight differences in the comparison. But that motor has WAY more torque at the low end than I'd ever experienced in my MINIs w/out a down shift ..... cruising at 70, stomp the pedal and the car takes off like a rocket while the twisties are NO problem either. Biggest issue in an ST is to check if you fit in the seats ...... the Recaro seats in an St2 or 3 are very uncomfortable to some ..... I've a 3 and LOVE the black leather Rec's

Old 07-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone! I just purchased a 2016 ST3 and it has literally every option available from the heated stearing wheel to the carbon fiber trim. It has a nice aftermarket exhaust that isnt to loud and has been a great change from my 2002 MCS (first car) (focus is my second)

I knew I would do my own work and I enjoy working on my MINI and think it would be even more fun to work on something more simple like a classic car.
Im going to keep saving and maybe next year get a classic mini as a fun project/ hobby!