Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)

Old 12-01-2017, 09:00 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)

I need to make a mental note and post more here than say, Minimania (which is not my fav classic mini site these days).

But long story short, purchased a mini out of Canada from a guy who has been selling minis for a long time. Only to find out that what I bought was not what was described (some small things, one not so much) - but lesson learned by buying sight unseen.

I decided to tear the mini down completely and rebuild it to my spec as I plan to live a good life with this car. Basil officially came off the road March 2013 and took my time to tear it down, cataloging all parts, making LOTS of notes, and documenting every step of the resto-mod. I clearly had a 'style' in mind, but wanted to keep a balance of purity with a nod back to period correct coloUrs but not pretend that my Mini was not a 'Cooper' or something it was not (sans small tail lamps, external door hinges, etc). I just wanted to keep it late 70's style with some sassy 60's flair.

Once the shell was clean, he went to a local body guru who knows these cars well in Atlanta. He took his time on Basil and we did what I thought was a decent efforts on getting the body straight, fixed, repaired, corrected etc. He's no trailer queen, but because this is a resto-mod, it is not a concourse period-0correct example.

You can check out my blog here for all the updates when I get to them:
http://www.thebluepotato.net/blog/

You can also check Basil's Facebook (and Instagram at #basilthemini) page:
https://www.facebook.com/basilthemini/

Hoping to connect with more Atlanta-based classic mini peeps as well.

Attached Thumbnails Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_2036.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_5151.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_5169.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_7035.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-sentry_070914_2.jpg  

Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_1974.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_3292.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_5966.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-fb_update_image.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_3666.jpg  

Old 12-01-2017, 09:15 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
Some more additional pics of interior.

Attached Thumbnails Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_9793.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-lrjb8796.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_0338.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_0888.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_3652.jpg  

Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_3706.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_3775.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_0887.jpg   Atlanta Mini restoration update (Basil the Mini)-img_1251.jpg  
Old 12-04-2017, 12:07 PM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice job there as you said you have built it the way you want it to look.....I did the same with my 1990 Rover cooper......it has a 7 port 1380 swiftune engine full newton commercial Cooper mk1 interior
as purchased

and now

7 port rebuilt

in bay

now I have a new project and will be selling this mini....
1990 ERA Mini Turbo R1036

needs a full strip down as not moved since 2004 till I had it lifted to my home

Old 12-12-2017, 08:05 AM
TheBluePotato
4th Gear
Nice job!

Old 12-12-2017, 08:13 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Looks fantastic I have a 66 Cooper S and hopefully we will see you around town. Often we go to Caffeine and Octane or any of the british shows around town as there are several classics around.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-14-2017, 04:41 PM
sparky mae
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Classic Minis

Can Atlanta slide a bit closer to Savannah i feel kind of alone down here with my 1990 Mini. Wish WMW sold Classic Mini parts.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (12-15-2017)
Old 10-31-2022, 01:19 PM
Jeremylansford10
Neutral
Just Bought Basil

Originally Posted by TheBluePotato
I need to make a mental note and post more here than say, Minimania (which is not my fav classic mini site these days).

But long story short, purchased a mini out of Canada from a guy who has been selling minis for a long time. Only to find out that what I bought was not what was described (some small things, one not so much) - but lesson learned by buying sight unseen.

I decided to tear the mini down completely and rebuild it to my spec as I plan to live a good life with this car. Basil officially came off the road March 2013 and took my time to tear it down, cataloging all parts, making LOTS of notes, and documenting every step of the resto-mod. I clearly had a 'style' in mind, but wanted to keep a balance of purity with a nod back to period correct coloUrs but not pretend that my Mini was not a 'Cooper' or something it was not (sans small tail lamps, external door hinges, etc). I just wanted to keep it late 70's style with some sassy 60's flair.

Once the shell was clean, he went to a local body guru who knows these cars well in Atlanta. He took his time on Basil and we did what I thought was a decent efforts on getting the body straight, fixed, repaired, corrected etc. He's no trailer queen, but because this is a resto-mod, it is not a concourse period-0correct example.

You can check out my blog here for all the updates when I get to them:
http://www.thebluepotato.net/blog/

You can also check Basil's Facebook (and Instagram at #basilthemini) page:
https://www.facebook.com/basilthemini/

Hoping to connect with more Atlanta-based classic mini peeps as well.

Just Bought Basil and pick him up in a few weeks. Would love to know the exact color and any info on mods. Thanks
Jeremy Lansford

Search this Thread