Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

What's the value of a Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:52 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the value of a Mini?

I have a 1978 Mini and am considering selling it. Are there any resources out there that could help me put a fair value on it?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Redbook?

Old 06-14-2017, 05:43 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
my 2 cents:

you could find a local appraiser of classic and collectable cars in your area ... there probably is one - similar folks troll the car shows where I am. I find this to be a hit or miss proposition tho ..... does the person really know anything about Mini? Expect to pay $50 or more for this service.

You can look at MiniMania where there are cars for sale ... but folks tend to ask high prices here .....

Problem is ya want to know what car SOLD for, not the asking price cuz the car is worth what ya get .... cash in hand and not a penny more.

IMO a solid runner, not a VTEC, with good brakes, ready to drive today is typically around $7 to 8000. If it has 'stuff' ... price goes up from there ... if it is a real Cooper/S price goes up (real Cooper meaning 61 - 71 originals).

I've got a 79 with a lot of extra 'stuff' like wood dash, roll cage, Cooper S disk brakes, 10" wheels, A+ 1275 motor with mods, and a bunch more. When asked I say $12,000 ... I get many interested parties but always in the end no one has shown me the money hence my car is not really worth $12,000 .... yet. That's another factor, how quickly do you want to sell it?

I'd mention that I bought my car after seeing it listed 'right here' on NAM. I know a number of folks locally who want a classic, but want to pay less than I'm asking. Few of these read NAM however as the local groups have all slid to FB pages. If you post an ad with a price I'll point it out to the local groups ....

Old 06-14-2017, 02:22 PM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
a 1978 mini in a fair condition will fetch in the UK £2000 a mini in restoration condition £500 to 1000 a mini in concurs condition as left the factory £3000 to 4000

Old 06-14-2017, 02:51 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
A lot has to do with the equipment too, a 1275 rod change manual trans car will bring more than a 998 automatic, and so on.

Condition is paramount, not just the mechanical condition but rust - or lack of it.

Some modifications hurt the price, some help it.

It's absolutely impossible to value a car from a one line description and one pic.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:01 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
in other words

hang a price

and tell us what you get

cuz we wanna know ... having NO idea

Old 06-24-2017, 08:16 AM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
As Capt bj mentioned most first time buyers that are interested in a classic don't want to spend what the seller wants. What they don't realize if they do get a lower priced mini is that it's likely they'll spend two or three times the buying price to sort it/restore it to a #3 or better standard.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
We've got an interesting article about how much Vintage Mini's can sell for.

Might find this interesting. "How Much Is Your Classic Mini Really Worth"

Here's a teaser: About A $2.5 million Aston Martin

In December of 2016, Fox News announced the discovery of a rare and valuable Aston Martin. Here's what they said...

A rare 1962 Aston Martin DB4 has been rotting away on a Massachusetts property since it was brought there from California by its second owner in the 1970s, according to Worldwide Auctioneers. Trees grew around it as it settled into the soil and its engine bay filled up with leaves and weeds over the years.

One of just 1,113 DB4s produced, the four-seat coupe is largely original, save for the new engine and paint job it appears to have picked up prior to its trip east. Its 3.7-liter inline six was rated at 240 hp when new, and the car features a 4-speed transmission with Laycock Overdrive, disc brakes and “knock-off” wire wheels.

Worldwide Auctioneers will be pushing the car across the block at its Scottsdale, Ariz., event on January 18, and estimates that it will sell for somewhere in the $375,000 - $475,000 range. If that sounds like a lot for a derelict, the Hagerty Price Guide says that it could be worth at $2.5 million or more when fully restored.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:18 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Cars 4 Sale on Mini Mania Forum

And for those interested in a short cut to see what's out there for sale, here's a link to the Mini Mania Forum/Cars 4 Sale.