Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Registering mini as a collector car

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:25 PM
DocOctopus
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Registering mini as a collector car

Hi All,
I'm counting the weeks before I take the keys of a '68 mini mkII. I live in Jersey, but car is currently in PA. Does anyone have experience in registering their classic as a collector car? I don't plan to use it as an everyday car, only for pleasure and weekend driving. It'll be in my garage for most of the colder months. Also would expect the car to be exempt from inspection since it's so old, thoughts?

Thanks,
Tinman

Old 04-28-2014, 02:43 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That designation means different things in different states, but I advise you to right away call your insurance company to get their deal on it. They may have significant restrictions, much higher (or lower!) premiums or simply refuse to cover it if it has the collector / antique car registration... Here, they want to see the mileage every year to document you are rarely driving it, like 1,200 miles a year (or something like that) for my company. I have heard some are worse, limiting you to just driving in a couple of parades every year.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by RockAZ
That designation means different things in different states, but I advise you to right away call your insurance company to get their deal on it. They may have significant restrictions, much higher (or lower!) premiums or simply refuse to cover it if it has the collector / antique car registration... Here, they want to see the mileage every year to document you are rarely driving it, like 1,200 miles a year (or something like that) for my company. I have heard some are worse, limiting you to just driving in a couple of parades every year.
spot on correct

I acquired my Mini 10 years ago ....., my insurance company for 'regular' referred me to a 'speciality' company for my 'collectable' Hagerty and American Collector's are the big dogs . . .

some states and some insurance companies will consider the fact that you own a 'toy' and will insure it as such (low cost, exempt from inspections) but every state is different, so you need to check.

BTW . . . if you 'get caught' exceeding the special rules, there CAN be consequences .... depending on the state. In VA a buddy of mine started driving his 'antique registred' car to work every day. One day as he left the base the local police pulled him over. The difference between antique .... and 'regular' which he'd clearly violated ... cost several hundred dollars.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:37 PM
larmini
3rd Gear
I live in nj and have antique plates. It's great. U have to insure thru hagertys or American. It's like 200-300a year for pleasure use. They only request pics of the car and u can do it all on the internet. Then go to dmv and register as antique plate. 40 for plates. U need to bring them pics of the car also. Front shot and complete side shot.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
DocOctopus
Neutral
Originally Posted by larmini
I live in nj and have antique plates. It's great. U have to insure thru hagertys or American. It's like 200-300a year for pleasure use. They only request pics of the car and u can do it all on the internet. Then go to dmv and register as antique plate. 40 for plates. U need to bring them pics of the car also. Front shot and complete side shot.
Larmini: doesn't the historic plate limit your use of your car as it mentions it's only for exhibition and educational purposes? Or is there leeway?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM
FrenchyR53
2nd Gear
I live in CT. Have a 55 chevy truck. Insured through Hagerty. Much cheaper than Liberty Mutual which is the insurance for my R53. Didn't have to pass inspection but had to go to DMV for VIN check. Other insurance companies specialize in classic cars but I use my truck for
more than occasional car show or club outings. Some limit mileage drastically. Hagerty will basically charge according to the value of your car. Like Larmini said it's easy to sign up online. Cheers and good luck!

Old 04-30-2014, 02:31 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DocOctopus
Larmini: doesn't the historic plate limit your use of your car as it mentions it's only for exhibition and educational purposes? Or is there leeway?
In many states this is exactly the case, limiting you to just a couple of parades in your own county or a yearly mileage total that keeps you within it.

Seems like the OP has his answer on this issue and a plan: this remark is for others that found this thread by search. Your insurance agent knows what the deal is for your area, not the DMV alone because they will let you buy whatever you ask for regardless of the penalties down the road.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:25 PM
larmini
3rd Gear
Qq plates are antique plates. Mine are registered for pleasure use. 5k miles a year..go online and fill out info. At hagertys it will give u price right there. They will want a copy of your doc sheet from your primary carrier to verify u have other cars. And that's that. No dmv no inspection ever.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:31 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
No one has mentioned Grundy Insurance, which is who I use on my Jag and my Mini, they have no mileage restriction on their agreed value policy. I don't know if the antique plates have any impact on that, but I doubt it. The only restriction is the cars must be garaged.....

Old 05-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Ratkiller
1st Gear
I would highly recommend not stirring the pot when it comes to the DMV and a classic mini. To many of them have been re-vin'ed and years changed, to avoid import taxes and/or smog issues. I've heard horror stories, in some states, like California, of the DMV impounding/seizing a car if they find any issues with the vin year or anything else not corresponding with their records.

I have Hageraty for my 29 Ford Woody, 65 Chevy C10 and 61 Morris Mini. They are super cheap and easy to deal with if/when it comes to a repair.