North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Classic Mini Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/classic-mini-talk-48/)
-   -   Help w/buying Classic Mini (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/classic-mini-talk/254136-help-w-buying-classic-mini.html)

49th.runner 07-09-2013 06:57 PM

Help w/buying Classic Mini

Real quick. I'm new to the Mini world but would like to buy the classic looking Mini. I found one titled in my state of WA. The title shows that the car is a 1980's, but the vin shows that it was built in 1990+. I have been told this is normal, but what is the deal? Is this leagal for me to own? Also the vin plate is in the trunk and says "Rover Group Limited" the vin is: SAXXNVAXKBD141654. Help!

Capt_bj 07-10-2013 05:18 AM

It means it is a re-VIN - the VIN was changed to import an illegal car

The Mini was not legal for sale in the US after the mid 60's. However virtually ANY car can be imported after it turns 25 years old, as a collector car. In the UK and other places it is fairly easy to go to a junk yard and pop the VIN off an older wreck and pop-rivet it onto a newer MINI. 99 times out of 100 Customs does not detect this and the car gets in (they'd much prefer to find an illegal Ferrari). The car is illegal but once IN the country the odds of the fed's taking it away are small. If the car has a valid state title and registration there is seldom a problem along these lines.

There are other issues - newer MINIs often have fuel injection and IMO you are unwise to buy one of these in the US. MANY threads here on that topic . . .

just keep reading
just keep reading . . .

BJDavis 07-11-2013 07:48 AM

VIN Decoded

Originally Posted by 49th.runner (Post 3771592)
Real quick. I'm new to the Mini world but would like to buy the classic looking Mini. I found one titled in my state of WA. The title shows that the car is a 1980's, but the vin shows that it was built in 1990+. I have been told this is normal, but what is the deal? Is this leagal for me to own? Also the vin plate is in the trunk and says "Rover Group Limited" the vin is: SAXXNVAXKBD141654. Help!

I'm not so sure that it's a re-VIN as much as it's just mis-Titled? I don't know why anyone would put a NEWER VIN on a 1980 Mini. That would effectively make a legal car . . . .illegal.

Decoding your VIN - It does look like it's a 1990+

SAX-XN-V-A-X-K-B-D-141654
1990 On (1275cc cars only)
The general format for the VIN for these cars is:
SAX-XN-N-A-D-B-B-D-######

• SAX = MG-Rover
• XN = Mini 1275
• V = Kensington
• A = 2-door saloon/sedan.
• X = 1275 SPi (standard compression ratio, 9.4:1)
• K = RHD, Automatic
• B = 1275
• D = Longbridge
• 141654 = The sequential build number: Starting with 010001

sbdubya 07-11-2013 08:03 AM

I found mine that I recently bought on minimania.com. Under the social section there is a for sale listing. Also there is a lot of good info on that site concerning the older Minis.

Just do a lot of research and keep looking until you find a good one. It took me 4 months and then it had to be shipped from two states over. If you do need to ship one use uship.com to find someone to transport it for you.

Good luck!

Noonzio 07-11-2013 08:14 AM

Stupid question - but does the title have the same VIN on it as on the VIN plate you found in the trunk? IF the car is a 4th or 5th generation Kensington model then it should have come from the UK with a title document (probably a bill of lading) which had a year on it that matched the VIN on the car