Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Need advice on purchasing first Mini Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 PM
aoysgelt
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on purchasing first Mini Classic

Hello everyone,

My wife has been wanting Mini Classic for years and I am starting to see what I can do to make it happen.

I know very little about those cars other than reading through this (and other) newsgroups and digesting info.

Ideally the car would be in a condition to not give us many mechanical issues even though I am aware that problems come with age. I am OK with spending $10K and possibly more depending on what condition the car is in.

One car that caught my eye was http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_590wt_1165 Can I get your opinion on it (it can be had for somewhat less than "Buy Now" price)?

I live in San Francisco Bay Area in case anyone knows of a Mini for sale locally.

Many thanks in advance
Aleks

Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
My main advice would be to go and drive a classic Mini. The driving position (in particular the upright seating position and the angle of one's ankles on the pedals) are not for everyone. I had one as my daily driver in Ireland for 5 years - I held onto it thinking I could eventually import it into the US - when I was home at Christmas I drove it for 10 days and having not been driving it for 8 months, I had serious pains in my legs after it!! So I sold it last weekend.

Are they a cool little car, great to look at and use for a short weekend drive? Yes. Are they a comfortable modern motor that can be driven in and around a city on a regular basis and used as a commuter car - no.

If you decide, after driving one, that you want one - get one thats been completely restored. You'll probably end up constantly doing work on it, but if it hasn't been restored you'll spend forever on it!! Best models (in my, and only my, opinion) are the late models with the 1275cc MPI engine it, made between 1997 and 2001 (sometimes referred to as 'Sportspack' models) - they are the most reliable, the most modern, and the easiest to drive. These were never sold in the US, so you will see them advertised as '1973 Mini, updated to 1998 specs' etc. Be warned, these cars (or most of them) are late model vehicles that have had VIN plates switched before being brought into the country - it is highly debatable whether this is legal or illegal, but it is certainly a very very grey area.

I loved owning my classic Mini - and maybe some day I'll buy another one!

Good luck with your search.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:54 PM
aoysgelt
Neutral
Noonzio, thank you for your response.

What do you think of this car http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_590wt_1165

Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
I have to say that its a very very nice car. Its important to note that although its a 1970 Mini the shell is from a 1993. The newness of the shell does not matter as Rover made them all like complete and utter sh*t (unless they were destined for the Japanese market) - the steel, and the dipping / painting, was amateur as best and all are guaranteed to rust. However, if this was restored 13 years ago and there's still no rust then I'd say you're pretty safe.

With a 1293cc engine this will be a rocket ship. My 1999 model only had around 68hp and could easily outpace most Irish cars, particularly away from a set of lights (remember Irish cars, unlike US ones, have much smaller engines, with most being under 1.6 litre).

While you're not getting all the bells and whistles of the late model interiors (chrome dash, airbags, leather seats, etc), this actually one of the better ones I've seen on eBay.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
This is an example of a classic with an old VIN (but a newer model):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-...#ht_500wt_1182

And this is a Japanese model (you'll note that although its quite old it only appears, according to the seller, to have rust on the bottom of the doors, not anywhere else):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...#ht_500wt_1182

Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 AM
aoysgelt
Neutral
Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 PM
jeffm5150
4th Gear
I'm not sure if you know or not, but the tools and knowledge needed to work on a fuel injected classic Mini is not easy to find stateside. Just my $0.02. Buy a Mini that's already set up with carbs so you don't have to do it later once the fuel injection stops working.

But, to answer your question, aside from the age (1998 is too new to have been legally imported into the US, that's why it's registered as a '66), and MPI (I wouldn't touch one with fuel injection), I would say that's a pretty nice Mini. But, UGH, the seller needs to get rid of those MINI badges.

Jeff

Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffm5150
I'm not sure if you know or not, but the tools and knowledge needed to work on a fuel injected classic Mini is not easy to find stateside. Just my $0.02. Buy a Mini that's already set up with carbs so you don't have to do it later once the fuel injection stops working.

But, to answer your question, aside from the age (1998 is too new to have been legally imported into the US, that's why it's registered as a '66), and MPI (I wouldn't touch one with fuel injection), I would say that's a pretty nice Mini. But, UGH, the seller needs to get rid of those MINI badges.

Jeff
emphesis added .... but spot on~

readup on "re-vin"