North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Classic Mini Talk (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/classic-mini-talk-48/)
-   -   Need help shipping a Mini overseas (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/classic-mini-talk/128129-need-help-shipping-a-mini-overseas.html)

TNCRMPT 02-05-2008 08:07 PM

Need help shipping a Mini overseas

Has anyone had an experience shipping a classic mini from London to the States? Tips/suggestions?

Can you recommend how to make arrangements to do so? Websites?

Is it true that it could potentially cost the same amount of money to ship 2 minis (as opposed to just 1) since they would be in the same carrier that would hold a standard vehicle?

dimini 02-06-2008 09:35 AM

I don't have the answers, but I think 2phun can help you out. If he doesn't see this post, you might give him a pm.

IanF 02-06-2008 11:25 AM

Try calling westpaminis.com, while I understand they are not importing cars themselves right now, they may be able to assist you or point you in the right direction.

rl48mini 02-06-2008 01:41 PM

there's a company called Pheonix that ships cars to the states. They are based in England. I haven't used them but I've heard good things about them. A number of guys who frequent the minimania board have used them. Sorry I don't have a link but if you go to that web site do a 365 day search. I know this has been discussed and included contact info.

2phun 02-06-2008 02:29 PM

If you are planning to ship one over, definitely give Emma Travers at Phoenix Cargo a call. Extremely professional and just as helpful. She'll make your experience as painless as possible. She has helped me bring over three vehicles so far. She has arranged for the vehicles to be picked up for me, taken to port, taken care of all paperwork for export, dealt with UK customs, etc. She even arranged to have the flatbed driver take photos documenting the loading and unloading of my pickup. All-in-all a class act.

Emma Travers (formerly Pittaway)
Phoenix Cargo
Direct:- 0044 1784 427067
UK Tel:- 0845 644 1594
Intl Fax:- 0044 1784 420116
www.phoenix-cargo.com

If you ship two cars, you'll pay for two cars. The only way to really save cash on shipping is by bringing over enough cars to fill a container. These numbers are old, but should give you an idea of what shipping will run you...

Ro/ro of a Mini to either Port Canaveral or Jacksonville Florida is GBP 565 all-incl per Mini from Southampton docks.

No parts can be shipped inside vehicles ro/ro but we can ship parts in the cargo hold of the ro/ro ship. Cost is GBP 250 1cbm Minimum.

Shipping a container would be approx GBP 2500 plus;

Container Loading Charges
3 Mini's in a 40ft HC cntr - £ 250
4 Mini's in a 40ft HC cntr - £ 375
5 Mini's in a 40ft HC cntr - £ 575
6 Mini's in a 40ft HC cntr - £ 675
Prices include the costs for lashes, straps, platform materials for cars and parts.

We load the containers at our Heathrow warehouse. If you ship a container you will have to find a way to unload the vehicles or pay a warehouse to do this.

Kind regards,

Emma Travers

Are you planning to go over to inspect the vehicles yourself or purchase sight-unseen?

Mab01uk 02-06-2008 02:30 PM

Phoenix have sponsored prizes for quite a few of the UK Mini events I have taken part in like this one and are well known for shipping classic cars and Minis around the world:-
Mole Valley Mini Meeting

Phoenix International Freight Forwarding

Phoenix New MINI

Minimad 02-06-2008 02:33 PM

Phoenix is TOPS! :thumbsup: Used them several times. Always perfect service.

Rocan 02-06-2008 03:38 PM

anybody know of a good one that can get one from Gozo, Malta which is in the Mediterranean to england to NY? psssst... you can often by a mini there for less then 250 dollars american... ok condition :wink:

rl48mini 02-06-2008 03:43 PM

Emma was on maternity leave. I haven't heard if she's back yet so you might get a reply from someone else.

2phun 02-06-2008 04:10 PM

Oooh, forgot that she was due recently! Her dad (Terry) owns the business. When she was out previously, he was the one I dealt with until she returned.

TNCRMPT 02-06-2008 07:34 PM

Thank you!

Fantastic! Thank you so much.

We had been thinking about buying a classic from Jimmy Singer in Dallas, Texas, but then were concerned when we heard how he likes to handle the finances and he didn't return my calls. Has anyone dealt with him and had a good experience? He's at: http://www.mynewmini.com

We seem to be getting closer now to buying a classic from overseas instead, so this is perfect information and I appreciate everyones replies.

We have several contacts in London that could go and meet the seller on our behalf - they know nothing about Minis, but it would be nice to just verify that everything is on the up and up as we don't want to get scammed.

Thanks!
TNCRMPT

2phun 02-06-2008 08:01 PM

For a fair fee, RAC will go and do a thorough inspection of a vehicle for you and send you a full diagnostic of it. I used them for my first unseen purchase and was happy to pay the fee for the peace of mind. If you have others there that can check the vehicles out for you, go that route first, then maybe have RAC do a final inspection before you hand over the cash.

rskotl 03-08-2008 01:49 PM

now my question to all is what does it take to convert that mini that is brought over to the states, that is euro spec, to be able to drive it on the roads in back home?

2phun 03-08-2008 07:51 PM

Nothing (except in Cali). Just get it registered and tagged in your state of choice.

Although it will of course have to be 25 years or older to do so.

Minimad 03-09-2008 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by rskotl (Post 2084364)
now my question to all is what does it take to convert that mini that is brought over to the states, that is euro spec, to be able to drive it on the roads in back home?

Change your headlamps as they will shine to the opposite side of the road....:thumbsup: :wink: :lol:

rskotl 03-09-2008 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2phun (Post 2084914)
Nothing (except in Cali). Just get it registered and tagged in your state of choice.

Although it will of course have to be 25 years or older to do so.

mine is unfortunatly a 96... what other choice do I have, other than finding someone with an older one and trading them?

H82WRK 03-10-2008 07:33 AM

Here is a recent post that hold very good information in regards to your question. I think you are best to sell your 1996 and import an older Mini. Or buy one when you get here.

http://www.minimania.com/web/threadi.../msgthread.cfm

rskotl 03-13-2008 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by H82WRK (Post 2086966)
Here is a recent post that hold very good information in regards to your question. I think you are best to sell your 1996 and import an older Mini. Or buy one when you get here.

http://www.minimania.com/web/threadi.../msgthread.cfm

Thanks!!! Alot of good info!