North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Chicago MINI Motoring Club (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/chicago-mini-motoring-club-44/)
-   -   Track and Autocross guys/gals (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/chicago-mini-motoring-club/221219-track-and-autocross-guys-gals.html)

SimTechDJ 12-01-2011 12:42 PM

Track and Autocross guys/gals

I would like to get/share info with locals who actually Track or autocross.

Maybe get a group FS/WTB/WTT thread as well?

I have a 2004 MCS and it is "almost ready" for Track use. Currently ready to tackle a HPDE or 3 but i am itching to get back on track after over a year without.

Looking to go further!

So how about a Who/What/Where/When... and how-to?

proximo 12-01-2011 02:05 PM

You might consider looking into "Hooked on Driving" first. I've done courses with them (and still do) and have expanded into NASA HPDE. I think HoD coaches and staff will help a lot -- but I'm biased since I started there. I'm in NorCal or I'd join. :)

SimTechDJ 12-01-2011 02:15 PM

Great idea for NOOBS but I am actually NASA D3 (HPDE) and was about to move into DE4/Time Trial when i left Arizona in August 2010.

I am not as familiar with the groups here in the MidWest so wondering who is all running with what groups and which classes. Then we can get into preferred setups and such.

Thinking BMWCCA, NASA or SCCA for spring.

proximo 12-02-2011 08:40 AM

Hooked on Driving has courses for those up through HPDE 4 equivelent. Personal choice, but I still do both sides. The HoD is a less competitive environment to help get you back on your feet. Just a thought. :)

cmt52663 12-02-2011 02:51 PM

Autocross is less risky, damned challenging, and will allow you to learn one heck of a lot about driving at the limit in a nice safe environment.

Doesn't cost as much in brakes and tires too!

Now I'm not slamming folks that love the track - me too!

Just sayin'

Sounds like you are already a track junky though huh?

Anyway - look HERE.

Kind regards,

Charlie
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...011_Moss_2.jpg

312griso8v 12-03-2011 11:35 PM

I join the Windy City BMW club every April for their performance driving school at the Autobahn Country Club. It's a very well run program and they're very welcoming to MINI owners. I'll have my R53 there this spring.. hope to see you there! Check out their website... www.windycitybmw.com

312griso8v 12-04-2011 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 312griso8v (Post 3409365)
I join the Windy City BMW club every April for their performance driving school at the Autobahn Country Club. It's a very well run program and they're very welcoming to MINI owners. I'll have my R53 there this spring.. hope to see you there! Check out their website... www.windycitybmw.com

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29..._4426656_o.jpg

MINIofChicago 12-05-2011 05:33 AM

We're trying to set up a track day for 2012 at Gingerman. Are there enough MINI owners out there that would sign up for a track day there?

312griso8v 12-05-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by MINIofChicago (Post 3409955)
We're trying to set up a track day for 2012 at Gingerman. Are there enough MINI owners out there that would sign up for a track day there?

I would be interested. Depending on cost, dates, rules, instructors/non-instructed, other makes allowed to sign up, etc.

Anxiously awaiting the details... thanks.

SimTechDJ 12-05-2011 02:31 PM

Charlie and 312griso8v... NICE PICS!!!

Yeah, i do have a love for track but may just have to get in on an autocross or 3 this year too!

So MINIofChicago... there is 3 guys already!

Island maser 12-05-2011 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Love the big track but at a buck twenty a mistake can be costly.

SimTechDJ 12-06-2011 06:58 AM

Island maser... your sig says NT-01... pic looks like SDrives or Contis?

Love that color scheme though!

Thinking about sway bars?

cmt52663 12-06-2011 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Island maser (Post 3410403)
Love the big track but at a buck twenty a mistake can be costly.

Amen to that brother.

My last on track excursion was with BMWCCA up at Hew Hampshire International Speedway. I reckon the BMW folks do a really nice job with the program, and take great pains to keep the risks low.

Regrettably on this day a new BMW sedan hit the wall when exiting the road course section and returning to the front straight. Driver was fine, but was out at least 10k of repairs. I believe he had a RF tire issue which left him with terminal understeer at 70 mph and pointed in the wrong direction.

I just cannot gamble what I cannot afford to lose.

Kind regards,

Charlie

SimTechDJ 12-06-2011 10:46 AM

BMW also offers track day insurance for like $99 ;-)

SimTechDJ 12-06-2011 10:51 AM

I do agree that the potential damage at a track is greater, there is usually less likely-hood of it happening. Most tracks have exceptional runoff room and tech inspections before entry.

No matter what... i can't wait to autocross as well as get back on the track!!!

Thinking i may need two sets of wheels though, lightweight track set with Azenis or EcstaXS and a SILLY-STICKY-WIDE set for AutoX.

LTLMCPE 12-06-2011 12:43 PM

SimTech:

Welcome to the area! I've been a Windy City BMW member for years doing autox and Driver's Schools and now instruct for them. I also instruct for Lotus Corp and LAPS, Inc. For HPDE there are several groups that do events at Autobahn Country Club including Windy City BMW, Chicago Audi club, LAPS, NASA, and others which I think also includes Hooked on Driving. Lotus Corp does an event each May at Blackhawk. Badger BIMMER and Chicago Audi club do events there too. Several of these groups also do Gingerman, Putnam Park, Road America, and Grattan events.
For Autox Windy City BMW does an annual AutoX school and six events, including a two day charity event at The Tire Rack. Chicago Miata Club, Audi, VW, Salt Creek Sports Car, SCCA and others do events in the area. The Miata club has in past years done a class for MINI's, but didn't get very many entries. But you get a lot of runs at their events and they attract many cars of other makes to thier autox events.

I'm sure I'll see you at an event next year.

Jim

SimTechDJ 12-06-2011 04:26 PM

Sounds like we need to get a local schedule up and plan the caravans!

Ohh forgot to mention and put in my sig... BMWCCA member 444936 :-)

SimTechDJ 12-11-2011 08:46 AM

so 225/45-15 on 15x7
or
215/45-16 on 16x7

for track? autocross? etc...

and discuss!

cmt52663 12-11-2011 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by SimTechDJ (Post 3413710)
so 225/45-15 on 15x7
or
215/45-16 on 16x7

for track? autocross? etc...

and discuss!

I would not recommend 225 on a 7" rim based on my own experiences. At least 7.5, and 8" would be perfect.

I've tried RS3 and R1R at 225 with poor results in comparison to a good 205.

This is forcing me into wider rims after three years of patient denial.

So I'd suggest the 215...

Please note however that I am running -2.5 camber up front, without which I suspect the 225s would have been even worse.

Cheers,

Charlie

SimTechDJ 12-13-2011 07:19 AM

I used to run a 235/40 on a 17x8 perfectly. 225 is technically perfect on 7.5" wheel but has worked perfectly on 7" as well.

the real question is 15" or 16" for the track wheels.

Carmichael 12-26-2011 07:32 AM

http://www.windycitymiataclub.com/joomla/

~$30 per event, and up to 16 (!) runs per day. Schaumburg is a GREAT venue. Maywood, not so much. I used to autocross with SCCA back in the day, and you only get 6 runs MAX per day.

These guys run the most efficient autocross events I've ever seen. Everyone is super nice as long as you're not an ******, too. I went a full season with them last year and it was great.

SimTechDJ 12-27-2011 09:56 AM

OHHH... sounds like a good idea!

jibber11 12-27-2011 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 312griso8v (Post 3409365)

I am a member as well

jibber11 12-27-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by LTLMCPE (Post 3410979)
SimTech:

Welcome to the area! I've been a Windy City BMW member for years doing autox and Driver's Schools and now instruct for them. I also instruct for Lotus Corp and LAPS, Inc. For HPDE there are several groups that do events at Autobahn Country Club including Windy City BMW, Chicago Audi club, LAPS, NASA, and others which I think also includes Hooked on Driving. Lotus Corp does an event each May at Blackhawk. Badger BIMMER and Chicago Audi club do events there too. Several of these groups also do Gingerman, Putnam Park, Road America, and Grattan events.
For Autox Windy City BMW does an annual AutoX school and six events, including a two day charity event at The Tire Rack. Chicago Miata Club, Audi, VW, Salt Creek Sports Car, SCCA and others do events in the area. The Miata club has in past years done a class for MINI's, but didn't get very many entries. But you get a lot of runs at their events and they attract many cars of other makes to thier autox events.

I'm sure I'll see you at an event next year.

Jim

Hey Jim, you took my wife (Lisa) in her Red S 2 years back, I'm trying to talk to her into going again in the spring (now an S topless) and I sold my M3 and bought a JCW I'm planning on coming around more this year. So, I'll see you there (I have a picture of the two of you somewhere) btw....she had a blast with you....
Dan

312griso8v 12-27-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by jibber11 (Post 3423573)
Hey Jim, you took my wife (Lisa) in her Red S 2 years back, I'm trying to talk to her into going again in the spring (now an S topless) and I sold my M3 and bought a JCW I'm planning on coming around more this year. So, I'll see you there (I have a picture of the two of you somewhere) btw....she had a blast with you....
Dan

Just FYI... Windy City doesn't allow convertibles (unless theyre fully caged) at the Performance Driving Schools... only autocross for the topless (cars).

If you'll each be in different skill level groups, you can use the same car for two drivers!! See you there this spring!

-Phil