North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Chicago MINI Driving Group (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/chicago-mini-driving-group-292/)
-   -   A Wisconsin Alphabet Soup Twisty Drive, July 18th (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/chicago-mini-driving-group/169179-a-wisconsin-alphabet-soup-twisty-drive-july-18th.html)

FreeFromDezire 05-18-2009 12:44 PM

A Wisconsin Alphabet Soup Twisty Drive, July 18th

Anyone interested in an all day drive up to south-west Wisconsin's famous Alphabet Soup twisty roads?

I frequent these twisties with my sport bike and regularly lead rides from the Chicago area and after scouting out the roads this spring, I'd like to take a couple Mini's up there to enjoy the variety of twisties. There's real tight sections that are perfect for our cars and big flowing sweepers to be taken flat out in 3rd :grin:

http://jamminwithjay.com/images/0604...20(Medium).jpg

Since it is quite far away (we'll be south-west of Madison near the town of Spring Green, WI), this will be an all day drive, totalling 500 miles round trip. 100 miles of interstate slab to get there, 300 miles of fun and 100 slab back.

I'm looking for around 5 Mini's total. Small group because there's a lot of direction changes and a bigger group will easily get spread apart and lost. If more than 5 are interested, I'd like a second leader to step up with a Garmin GPS so that I can give you the route and we'll meet up at designated places along the way.

This will be a "spirited" drive, yet not totally hooning it. Speed limits of 45 mph and below will be strictly obeyed and 55 and above is WOT :wink:

Date: July 18, 2009
Meet Location: New Glarus, WI, BP at the intersection of WI-39 and WI-69.
Meet Time: 10:30 am
Roll out: 11:00 am

These are some videos I shot in the spring. We wont be hitting all these roads, since some are too far away.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...iDrive_04b.jpg

and it's called the Alphabet Soup because this is what the directions look like:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...alpha_soup.jpg

:)
- Jay

AutoXCooper.com 05-18-2009 04:39 PM

This is going to be a great event. Count me in to follow, unless we have more than 5 that want to follow and then I'll lead the 2nd group. I think it will be good to have two meeting spots one in Round Lake, think Panera Bread, and then a 2nd meet up near the Soup Run itself.

i know Jay and he can drive and run an event. It's good to see him making time for us MINI owners and not just the sport bike gang :wink:

I have driven a few of the roads up there and for those of you that wish you could drive the Dragon, this is about as close as we can get without driving to TN/NC.

Gil-galad 05-25-2009 06:06 PM

Jay and Dustin, would you guys be up for a tag-along group of MINIs from EIM? We had a placeholder on our group's schedule in July for the Chicago MINIs Summer Clover Leaf, Downtown Drive, and Midnight Breakfast Tour but have not see any updated information posted about it so am starting to presume that it's not going to happen in '09.

Our MINIs love motoring on those SW WI back roads. I'd certainly be willing to lead a separate, follow-on group of our folks to keep the lot from getting strung out, depending on the total numbers.

Let us know...thanks!

AutoXCooper.com 05-26-2009 04:37 AM

We'd love to have our Iowa Friends come to any event. Once we get the WI start info posted we'll plan on seeing you there.

The Clover Leaf is on, just no hard date yet.

FreeFromDezire 05-29-2009 03:19 PM

We'd definitely love to have you guys join us. :thumbsup:

Let's make the forward meet point at Rockton's Love's gas station at the intersection of Rockton Rd and I-90/39. More info as the date gets closer.

snuza30 05-29-2009 04:13 PM

I grew up in Baraboo, WI, and have family in Spring Green, so I have had some good times on those roads, just not yet in the MINI. I have to tell you to be careful on them if you are not familiar with them. People die on those roads all the time, including my great-grandfather and one uncle, both hit head on by someone crossing the centerline around a corner. Don't want to be a kill-joy, but it does happen. Anyway, if people are intersted in possibly staying overnight, there are a lot of hotels and House On The Rock is right nearby. I'm going to keep an eye on this and think about coming.

jplants1 06-14-2009 03:27 PM

I too grow up in this area (reedsburg) and was very familiar with some of these roads. It has been years since I have been on some of the listed roads. Like snuzq30 mentioned, some of the roads can be tricky, I rolled a car a few times after picking up some unexpected sand on a corner. So, do be careful. These roads can be lots of fun, I to am interested in joining the drive. Many hills and lots of curves, we all love curves!!!:thumbsup:

FreeFromDezire 06-16-2009 07:41 AM

Yup, fun roads but definitely requires a little more disciplined driving to expect the varying road conditions. :thumbsup:

bigsoup52 07-05-2009 06:41 PM

If I can make it, count me in, sounds like a good time! :thumbsup:

Gil-galad 07-08-2009 06:54 AM

Gents, the EIM folks are looking for an advance rendezvous point that is closer to the target twisties.

Are you going west on US-18/US-151 and, if so, will Mt. Horeb work as a meet up? Alternatively, if you're taking US-14 will Black Earth or Mazomanie be acceptable? Other suggestions welcome -- please let us know.

Do you have additional details on the planned route so we can program our Garmins?

Thanks!

FreeFromDezire 07-09-2009 04:39 PM

Gil, let's make the rendezvous point at New Glarus. We will be heading through Mt Horeb, but the good stuff starts south of there from New Glarus.

There's a BP just south of the intersection between WI-39 and WI-69. Google Map Link: http://tinyurl.com/kprxj6

And send me an email so that I can email you the garmin route. :thumbsup:

Gil-galad 07-09-2009 05:37 PM

Done. Our MINIs will plan on being ready to roll at the BP in New Glarus at 10:30 am.

D3m0N 07-09-2009 07:35 PM

Sounds great looking forward to this!

mauberley 07-10-2009 08:05 PM

I may have to get in on some of this action... but my tires are not up for any sort of real spirited driving, so I'd be in the "casual" motoring group. :wink:

FreeFromDezire 07-14-2009 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by mauberley (Post 2817997)
I may have to get in on some of this action... but my tires are not up for any sort of real spirited driving, so I'd be in the "casual" motoring group. :wink:

Ah, dont worry mate, I'm running on all seasons :grin:

hefro 07-14-2009 11:40 AM

This sounds like fun! Wish I could make it.

AutoXCooper.com 07-16-2009 08:20 AM

hey hefro, it's only a short 2 day drive for you to come out and run with the old gang again, so cowboy up and get out here.

FreeFromDezire 07-17-2009 12:32 PM

Just a heads up, looks like it's going to be nice and chilly all day tomorrow, highs of upper 60s. Good weather for some hard running :thumbsup:

FreeFromDezire 07-18-2009 04:56 PM

Just got back home from the drive. What a great day of motoring. Lots of curves and g-forces :grin: I'm sore, but it's a good sore.

Hope you guys enjoyed the roads and didn't mind all the u-turns :razz:

Maybe we can do another run up there in the Fall...

AutoXCooper.com 07-18-2009 05:00 PM

Jay YOU ROCK! That was the most FUN I've had in my MINI in months. Thanks for leading a great drive.

Gil-galad 07-18-2009 07:42 PM

Just made it home. Many thanks guys! We all had a superb time.

When we discovered that 80 was closed 4 miles south of 133, we just sort of followed our nose back to the east...we stumbled on a few pretty awesome tertiary side roads with smooth surfaces and tons of hairpin turns. Will have to pass on the names and locations when I have the chance.

Thanks again for leading us today!