MFSW on 06 JCW Competition Edition

Old 02-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Mz3bo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MFSW on 06 JCW Competition Edition

Hi,

My car is a canadian JCW Competion edition 48 of the 64 made. The car has the suede tri spoke steering wheel but no MFSW on it. Can I add it so I can get cruise control ? Anyone has more info. I searched on Motoring and here but cannot find the ultimate answer.

Thanks
Bo

Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 PM
MiniBlueVancouver
2nd Gear
No MFSW

Hi,

I talked to my Service Advisor and Service Manager about this for my old Cooper and they told me that it was possible, but would end up being very expensive. Not only do you need the get a new steering wheel (or at least the MF parts), you also need all the wiring associated with it and your ECU will need a flash (if possible) to enable cruise. Well...thats what they told me at least.

Check out this site: Real OEM

I have found it useful when sizing up a job, not only for the parts, but also how they come together. It appears that they list a Multi-Function retrofit kit...interesting. I'm not sure where to suggest you go from here, perhaps others can offer some suggestions.

Good luck.

Bryan

Old 02-14-2008, 09:49 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
MFSW retrofit instructions are posted on MotoringFile: http://www.motoringfile.com/howto/MFSW.PDF. The instructions are for a 2-spoke wheel, but the procedure should be the same for a 3-spoke (with very minor differences for the steering wheel parts). The bulk of the work involves installing the harness in the dash and engine compartment. The actual steering wheel portion should be easy. It estimates the work at 3.5 hours. I've done a couple of retrofits that involve installing wiring harnesses, and IMO this looks straightforward, just very time consuming to take apart the interior trim to install the harness.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:57 PM
fun2drive
1st Gear
I have #50 of 64.
Before taking delivery in January /07, (the car was already in Canada), I ordered a MFSW for them to install. They replaced the parts necessary & reinstalled the beautiful alcatera steering wheel.
Supposedly, mine was the first one to be done in Canada, so it was the 'guinea pig' of the lot.
If my memory serves me correctly - they had originally quoted me about 9 hours labour (assuming that the car was pre-wired) & it ended up taking more than 20. Well, it was not pre-wired for the mfsw feature, at least not my car.
The dealership was top-notch, IMHO, since they honoured their original quoted price and did a great job!
It's a nice feature to have & I don't regret it at all!
Ed

Old 02-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Mz3bo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fun2drive
I have #50 of 64.
Before taking delivery in January /07, (the car was already in Canada), I ordered a MFSW for them to install. They replaced the parts necessary & reinstalled the beautiful alcatera steering wheel.
Supposedly, mine was the first one to be done in Canada, so it was the 'guinea pig' of the lot.
If my memory serves me correctly - they had originally quoted me about 9 hours labour (assuming that the car was pre-wired) & it ended up taking more than 20. Well, it was not pre-wired for the mfsw feature, at least not my car.
The dealership was top-notch, IMHO, since they honoured their original quoted price and did a great job!
It's a nice feature to have & I don't regret it at all!
Ed

Hey, How is your dealer ?

Thanks
bo

Old 02-18-2008, 09:00 AM
MiniBlueVancouver
2nd Gear
WOAH!!!

Woah!! 20 hrs!!! Even if they honoured there 9 hr estimate...9 hrs @ ~100/hr = ~$900 for the install alone!!!??!!!

I agree that the features of the MFSW are nice to have...but wow!

My 2 cents,

Bryan

Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 AM
works4me19
1st Gear
Funny, when I bought my car I asked why no cruise control and was told that the computer couldn't handle it because of all the engine stuff it had to control. I thought it sounded fishy. Maybe MINI just didn't want to make the package TOO attractive.

Now, why did they do all the suspension and brake work and not put in a strut brace? That's on my list to do.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:56 PM
fun2drive
1st Gear
If my memory serves me correctly, the reason why cruise control was never included in these cars was to cut down on curb weight.
A strut brace is a great idea & mine was installed at delivery.
Enjoy your car, it's super fun!
Can't wait 'til spring!
Ed

Old 02-28-2008, 07:21 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mz3bo
Hi,

My car is a canadian JCW Competion edition 48 of the 64 made. The car has the suede tri spoke steering wheel but no MFSW on it. Can I add it so I can get cruise control ? Anyone has more info. I searched on Motoring and here but cannot find the ultimate answer.

Thanks
Bo
Sounds like a ton of money to do, a little off the subject but wondering what colour you have and where you are located.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:53 PM
faster,Tobias!
1st Gear
Hey, the MINI CE not having cruise seems to follow the BMW thought pattern on their 'competition'/special edition cars. I don't think M3's don't get cruise control either. Works4Me19 - what a story!