North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   AMVIV5 / A MINI Vacation In Vegas (2008) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/amviv5-a-mini-vacation-in-vegas-2008-239/)
-   -   AMVIV Track Day (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/amviv5-a-mini-vacation-in-vegas-2008/123831-amviv-track-day.html)

gnatster 12-24-2007 10:04 AM

AMVIV Track Day

Anyone planning on going?

I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it to haul the Hoosiers 1200 miles to Vegas for 1 day and how many session one will get. At $300 for the day thats about 1/2 again what we pay in TX for a weekend.

Agro 12-24-2007 10:54 AM

I'm not, but I'm going to be a little busy that weekend. :cool:

Siddhartha 02-23-2008 10:41 PM

Track day, a couple races to watch, a free BBQ lunch from MINIUSA . . . what's not to like?

I'll be on the race grid in Class 4 and instructing as well that day. Sure would be nice to have some NAMmers come out and wave the flag.

COR BLMY 02-25-2008 09:16 PM

ME (COR BLMY) &
CRRIKEY

<<<AKA "Wyvern Mini">>>

and my bro Opposite Lock

Will all be at the track.
Opposite and I will not be instructing this year but will be helping with TECH .

All 3 of us will also be doing the SOLO event :thumbsup:

My other son (yet to have "MINI name" ... but working on it)
Will be holding down the fort (our booth) back at the hotel on Friday

Siddhartha 02-26-2008 09:06 AM

What a great idea! If you can't find Mini enthusiasts, make your own!

It'll be good to see you again! Looks like you're still killing cones, just like when we met all those long years ago.

Cheers,
Sid

COR BLMY 02-26-2008 07:59 PM

SID !!!

So glad to "see" you
We need to catch up in Vegas.
I may be looking for some sticker space on your ride ...

A photo from SCCA (Dist 33) round 2.
NO ... I didn't kill this cone ... PHEW
http://a941.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...c111d515b4.jpg

gnatster 02-26-2008 08:20 PM

I might mosey out to the track on Friday but from all the other track junkies that I've spoken to that have been to a Phil Wicks event I don't think this is the event for me. But I'll take a look and see...

goaljnky 02-26-2008 08:24 PM

I had a buddy drive in it last year and he pretty much said it sucked. Do the Vegas thing for Vegas. Do the track thing for track. That's what I say. Of course I am not coming, so I could be full of it.

COR BLMY 02-26-2008 08:25 PM

Hey ... It's track time on a track we don't see but 1 time a YEAR (and ALL MINIs)
Do the SOLO then there are stopwatches that make the bench racing much more fun.

Now ....not to scare you :lol: but CRRIKEY and I are bringing another set of tires just for the SOLO ....

Would be very cool if AMVIV did a Auto - X ... HINT HINT
Could keep the price down and MANY could participate ....

gnatster 02-26-2008 08:34 PM

Well for one think I don't feel like dragging an extra set of tires 1200 miles each way up hill in the snow and then have to store them when I want to go cruise.

I'm not really into the Solo 1 thing. I'm not fast and I know it, I go for my own fun.

From conversations with others that have attended Phil Wicks events I'm not comfortable with the way they are run. I was toying with the idea of the Sat/Sun event another group is promoting and running on the Sunday only, but again it's that tires storage thing.

COR BLMY 02-26-2008 09:38 PM

Yes we are trailering the wheels and have many options as we will also have the booth, and help (non drivers) to watch stuff.
Fun to hang with the MINI folks for sure.
Please come by the booth and say "HI" gnatster... feel like I know you well already.

Agro 02-27-2008 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by COR BLMY (Post 2063175)
Would be very cool if AMVIV did a Auto - X ... HINT HINT
Could keep the price down and MANY could participate ....

Can't see that happening any time soon, sorry.
None of the AMVIV organizers have any experience organizing a track day of any kind, and none of us really have the time to learn or time to even go to the track. I understand that for it to be done right, it has to be the main focus. There's no way we can commit that kind of time.

GOTCURVES 02-27-2008 04:06 PM

I attended last years event and if your looking for instruction there is better (and cheaper) ways of getting good instruction. If you want to track your Mini with alot of other Mini's then this event is a good choice. I will be attending this years Phil Wicks event for 2 main reasons. First...I want to participate in the SOLO event and second...I love that track!! Last time I had no modifications done to my just-a-Cooper and the S's couldn't shake me. Now my baby is 80% STS prepared so I really want to see how I measure up against the S now. That and the fact that the SOLO event will be timed (there was no timing at last years event) will definately give me some good base lines to reference in future days at this track. BTW I will be running on some Azenis 615's which is not a bad tire for this but there are definately better ones to run on. I would appreciate meeting any fellow NAMer's while I'm out there so please come by and introduce yourself (I'll be the only one out there with a cowboy hat).

Siddhartha 02-27-2008 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by GOTCURVES (Post 2065138)
(I'll be the only one out there with a cowboy hat).

You can't be serious. This is Nevada we're talkin' about. There's cowboys ever'whar.

Cowboy Sid

COR BLMY 02-27-2008 08:16 PM

"GOTCURVES" we will look for you ... come say hi to the Wyvern Mini family (3 of us will be at the track and on Thursday, Saturday all 4 of the family will be at the booth.)

Suonds like a bit of a challenge your throwing to the "Ss" :thumbsup:

I dont remember being passed by any "just-A s" or any staying in the mirror for to long ...:lol:

MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS 02-27-2008 08:43 PM

Sorry I won't be at the Track this year. Still need to take the dents out of my car from last year. But I'll be at the Hotel working as usual.

goaljnky 02-27-2008 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS (Post 2065619)
But I'll be at the Hotel working as usual.

I will give you one chance to rephrase that. It is Vegas after all.

GOTCURVES 02-28-2008 06:06 AM

You can't be serious. This is Nevada we're talkin' about. There's cowboys ever'whar.

Well there were not any cowboy hats at the last event. BTW You are going to be at the track on Thursday? I thought the event was held on Friday.

Sorry I won't be at the Track this year. Still need to take the dents out of my car from last year. But I'll be at the Hotel working as usual.

Yeah the British champ was alittle rough on you guys (I guess no one told him that you guys were racing your own cars!).

Suonds like a bit of a challenge your throwing to the "Ss" :thumbsup:

Not necessarily just want to see how I stack up. I'm doing pretty well against all of the S's at the AZ region AutoX's (modified, 07' or stock). But the courses they set up on the skid pad are usually short and very technical (meaning you never get more than 3 seconds of straight on any course) and perhaps thats why I was able to beat out an 07' S both in raw time and pax points.

I dont remember being passed by any "just-A s" or any staying in the mirror for to long ...:lol:

You were probably in the expert group, I was in the intermediate group and will be at this event as well. Not enough HP or experience to be in the expert group yet. Perhaps when my "justa" gets a new turbo heart in late 09' I'll be able to tear it up with the S's. I have a total sleeper project in the works...an 05' justa with a 450+ hp heart!:thumbsup:

MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS 02-28-2008 08:17 AM

I didn't have any problem with the British champ last year, It was Brian that hit me. The British champ Gareth was driving my other car and did damage it, so I ended up with 2 damaged cars at the end of the day.

As for working at the hotel, You know whatever I have to do to make ends meet.:wink:

Agro 02-28-2008 12:08 PM

Southern NV doesn't have a whole lot of cowboys. Too much desert and not enough water for cows. Cactus ranches and bunny ranches, we have. Several bunny ranches in Pahrump actually, they're legal there. :cool:

Siddhartha 02-28-2008 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by GOTCURVES (Post 2065949)

Well there were not any cowboy hats at the last event. BTW You are going to be at the track on Thursday? I thought the event was held on Friday.

I'm trailering down from Reno. That's a long poke for one day. Rather than get up at oh-dark-thirty and drive all that way in the dark, I come down and set up a day early. That way I can cruise the paddock at my leisure on Friday morning in my cowboy hat, Marlboro Man coat, ranch jeans and fence climber boots and check out the competition before I have to suit up.

Yee haw! http://www.carnutgarage.com/board/im...iles/drive.gif

GOTCURVES 03-31-2008 06:27 AM

Well that was a fun event. Not as many attendee's as last year...which is fine cause it ment more track time. The solo event was a good oppourtunity to see how I'm doing. I took first in class (only 3 justa's were out there) and 7th overall with a 2:12.6 time on a 2.2 mile track. Not really sure how well that time was but I had an instructor that said it was very good for a Cooper. It was nice meeting you Jerry "Siddhartha" and thaks for the support and advice...I will put it to good use. :thumbsup:

Gromit801 04-02-2008 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Agro (Post 2064846)
Can't see that happening any time soon, sorry.
None of the AMVIV organizers have any experience organizing a track day of any kind, and none of us really have the time to learn or time to even go to the track. I understand that for it to be done right, it has to be the main focus. There's no way we can commit that kind of time.

Maybe you could enlist the help of the local SCCA bunch. They're a pretty wild group.

MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS 04-03-2008 07:52 PM

Have to give congrats to Matt. I prepped his car and drove it 29hrs to get there and he didn't let me down. He won the Solo 1 with a 2min lap from a standing start. Thanks for putting a WMW car on the podium.

Siddhartha 04-03-2008 10:56 PM

You might mention that Matt beat TC Kline in the Solo 1 event. That ain't no nothin'. That boy can definitely wheel a racecar.

I carry an AMB transponder so I had times. My 1:58 flying lap was early on and there was more to be had in 1,2, 5 and 7. It would have been fun to mix it up with those two.