AMVIV4 / A MINI Vacation In Vegas (2007) The forum for A Mini Vacation in Vegas, hosted by the Sin City MINI Club.

AMVIV 4 Strip Run "MINI Bashing Comment of the Night"

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:57 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rrdusek
sfor some reason people come here and think it's their duty to get drunk and wild for the weekend. this town has a reputation that anything goes.
the over the top marketing encouraging this behavior wouldn't have anything to do with that, would it? <trick question>

www.visitlasvegas.com

Old 03-26-2007, 07:38 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Duck360198
Saw Tori's car today...broke my heart to see such a flaw on a beautiful car. She seemed obviously upset...for good reason, but I felt so bad for her.
Originally Posted by beken
The pellet point of impact was three inches behind my head ... Someone up there is watching over me because my wife and daughter was up on Sahara taking pictures of the MINIs making the turn.
This is terrible I am a moderator for the Yahoo's largest and probably oldest Vegas Group. I find this very sad and have posted over there to see if anybody saw the parade or knows about these shootings

Old 03-26-2007, 08:50 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I saw Tori's car myself when she and Chad came back from the run. Very sad.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:03 AM
89AKurt
6th Gear
I missed you again Dave! Seemed I sped walked a months worth, and so many people to meet. I saw what the brutes did at this spot.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One very Nice Pink MINI paint job w/black paint wheel arches. It is a shame.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:18 PM
ukpylot
2nd Gear
wow, I'm glad now I didn't do the strip cruise. I did it the very first year and between the heckling from the drunks on the street to the angst of getting across every intersection I decided it was to be a 'once in a lifetime' deal.

I hope the damage to the cars isn't too great and very glad no one got hurt.

See you all next year!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
for the less than brain possesing humans that shot any of the cars.... the assault rifle is a great invention....

Last edited by Tüls; 03-26-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:56 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Hi folks, I just got home. It was my MINI that got it's side window shot out. The pellet point of impact was three inches behind my head and I can't help but think what might have happened if the car in front of me didn't move forward and I stepped on my gas pedal just before my window shattered. My window was opened and it happened just after I heard some guys in a pickup on the other side of the street yelling some obscenities at us.

Someone up there is watching over me because my wife and daughter was up on Sahara taking pictures of the MINIs making the turn. I can't imagine the other thing that might have happened if my daughter was sitting in the back seat.

The good folks at the Sin City MINI Club have organized a first class event and I had a great time meeting up with all of you. But right now my nerves are a bit shattered. I'm tired after the drive home and I must say, I saw the very best and the very worst of the American people. This vacation has been an adventure.

Hope to see you all again some other time.
Thank goodness you and the other MINIacs who were shot at weren't harmed. It breaks my heart that anyone was treated this way, but especially someone who came all the way from another country. I hope that you still enjoyed the event and met enough of the AMAZING MINI community folks to leave with an overall good impression.

Unfortunately, ***** happens sometimes. No one could have predicted or controlled for this, but we all feel for TFQON, beken and whoever the third person was whose MINI took a BB.

Some people just suck , but most people are good. I had a nice lady in a huge pick-up truck open her window to ask me what my license plate meant. She smiled and laughed when she heard the answer.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:00 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by batgirlwildcat
I had a nice lady in a huge pick-up truck open her window to ask me what my license plate meant. She smiled and laughed when she heard the answer.
But....did she wave?

Old 03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
But....did she wave?
No, I don't think she did ; but I did get lots of MINIac waves!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:10 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi again. I'm awake now. after 26 hours of driving (I should sign up to drive 24 hrs at Le Mans), and some sleep, and spending the morning catching up on my email.

There was a thunderstorm in the mountains of Oregon so I had to get out and brave the winds and rain to retape the cardboard window back on multiple times, but we made it home. My car is booked at the bodyshop tomorrow morning.

The Canada customs officer just asked what happened and waved me through.

Those of you in Utah, we stopped in Ogden at Denny's to grab a quick dinner. There was a van from Oregon parked next to my car. My wife wasn't feeling well so she went back and sat in the car while my daughter and I finished up dinner. Some young "people" went over and seeing as my car had a cardboard window, they walked pasted it and proceeded to break into the van. My wife got out, yelled at them and called 911. That was the other part of our adventures when I mentioned I saw some of the worst (certainly I do believe the vast majority of American people are better than that so please don't take it out of context).

On the strip, a number people stopped beside my car (before the damage happened) and were very nice and courteous.

Sorry to hear about Tori's car. I didn't know about it until Agro told me as I was saying my goodbyes. There's mention of a 3rd car. Anybody know who's car?

Other than that, we had a great time. Thank-you all who were there and the organizers. It was a pleasure meeting you, even though I didn't get a chance to introduce myself and get to chat with each and everyone of you.

...still wished I got that hug and found out who batgirlwildcat was .

Old 03-26-2007, 03:26 PM
cruzman
1st Gear
I just want to sorry to everyone who's cars caught a pellet...besides mine. You all traveled a great distance to have a great time and to have some jerk take shots at the cars..well Karma will eventually pay that person back..
I just hope other than what happened on Friday night, that everyone had a great time overall

Old 03-26-2007, 03:50 PM
StoopidGirl
6th Gear
Well There's always going to be jealous people who can't say something nice LOL and there's always goig nt o be someone in a

anyway, here's the comments I recieved or heard during the event;
1. "Show us your T**s!" from the strip cruise (go figure)
2. "This photo is going to end up on NAMBLA!" stated by a bike cop when refering to all 20+ bike cops getting their photo taken with 2 pink MINIs in front of the Vegas sign (if you don't know what NAMBLA is don't ask...I won't tell) but now I'm tempted to submit the pics!
3. "You must be the Future Queen of Nebraska!"
4. "Turn off your engines and come out with your hands up!" from the cops' megaphone aimed at all 300 or so MINIS on the strip cruise...imagine calling for back-up on that one

Old 03-26-2007, 04:26 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by StoopidGirl
1. "Show us your T**s!" from the strip cruise (go figure)
Wow, and it wasn't even NOLA during Mardi Gras

Old 03-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Originally Posted by rrdusek
something i would like everyone to understand is that 99% of the people on the strip are tourists. the people who live here rarely go there. for some reason people come here and think it's their duty to get drunk and wild for the weekend. this town has a reputation that anything goes. please don't hold their actions against those of us who live here. it was the locals who put this whole gathering together and you saw how nice and friendly we all are. thanks.
I can't agree more Rick. The only time I go to the Strip is when we have out-of-town visitors here. And when I DO go to the Strip, I don't drink much because the drinks are overpriced compared to locals places, and I usually have to drive home.

Originally Posted by dave
I saw Tori's car myself when she and Chad came back from the run. Very sad.

Dave, that's a nice shot of Tori's car, but like every other shot I've ever seen of her (or Emily's) car, it doesn't do the paint job justice.

Originally Posted by cruzman
I just want to sorry to everyone who's cars caught a pellet...besides mine. You all traveled a great distance to have a great time and to have some jerk take shots at the cars..well Karma will eventually pay that person back..
I just hope other than what happened on Friday night, that everyone had a great time overall
I heard of 3 cars getting shot with bb's.
Tori's car has a dent and paint missing just behind the passenger door. Heartbreaking, but Chad says he can massage it out and touch it up like new.
Beken's car took a hit in a window, luckily missing his head which with new glass should be a relatively easy fix, after you discount the drive home to Canaga missing a window.
Cruzman's car took a hit on the boot. I haven't seen it peronally, but I assume it's similar in size and repairability to Tori's.

I know that I had nothing to do with these incidents, and no control over them, but I feel bad because they happened in "my" town at "my" event. I felt bad for Waylen with all the crap that piled on him on Friday, even though it was nothing I had any input to, simply because it happened at AMVIV.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:40 PM
daisygirl
1st Gear
Hello from the Aussies. We can sympathise with a 20 hour drive as we just did a 20 hour flight and got home just over an hour ago. The strip drive was amazing!! Thanks to Todd from White Roof Radio both my husband and I were in GPs so a big thanks to the guys. The strip was busy and there were a few weird people with bad comments but the look on the faces of 99% of people were priceless and thats the parts to remember.

You can be shot at anywhere. We have been shot at in both Seattle and in Santiago in Chile so I still figure that the good times outweigh the bad.

Thanks to everyone who made us feel so welcome and who knows what next year with bring!!

Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Glad to hear you got home ok Judy. Even if you didn't bring VB or Bundy OP, you're always welcome to come back to Vegas for a visit. 20 hour flight? Hit a headwind, did you? Last time I went home it was only 14 from LA to Sydney. Oh yeah, also have to go back 30 years to enter Queensland.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:53 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
Hi folks, I just got home. It was my MINI that got it's side window shot out. The pellet point of impact was three inches behind my head and I can't help but think what might have happened if the car in front of me didn't move forward and I stepped on my gas pedal just before my window shattered. My window was opened and it happened just after I heard some guys in a pickup on the other side of the street yelling some obscenities at us.

Someone up there is watching over me because my wife and daughter was up on Sahara taking pictures of the MINIs making the turn. I can't imagine the other thing that might have happened if my daughter was sitting in the back seat.

The good folks at the Sin City MINI Club have organized a first class event and I had a great time meeting up with all of you. But right now my nerves are a bit shattered. I'm tired after the drive home and I must say, I saw the very best and the very worst of the American people. This vacation has been an adventure.

Hope to see you all again some other time.
Beken, so sorry to hear about this incident, but very glad that you and your family are okay and that the MINI is scheduled to be repaired. Sad to hear this happened at the event and kind of shocked that that's going on in such a crowded place.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Duck360198
This was my first AMVIV with a MINI and I was anticipating a few comments from people...mainly college frat guys...and they delivered this evening:

COMMENT 1: Drunk college frat guy steps away from his drunk college frat guy pack and approaches my car. He asks "What's the worst part about driving a MINI Cooper?" I humor him and say "What's that?" His answer: "Going home to tell your dad that you're gay." First, my wife was sitting next to me and second, everyone following him just shook their head at the comment and proceeded to cheer on the MINI's. The guy REALLY made himself look stupid.

COMMENT 2: Slowly driving by I hear a comment "EVERYONE has a MINI!" The guys friend (again, college age) says "Yeah...MINI D*CKS!!"

COMMENT 3: Actually this was kind of an observation. We have 3 lanes of MINI's going with an occasional non-MINI thrown in the mix. The MINI's are honking and this guy in the passenger seat of an SUV is just losing his mind. "GOD THIS IS SO F***ING ANNOYING! WHY DON'T YOU ALL JUST SHUT THE F*** UP?!?!?" He's flailing his arms. Everytime he drives by I honk my horn just to get a rise out of him. He throws his arms out in a motion that's like "You wanna fight??" Poor guy! He was a sad case.
"
Reply to Comment 1: "Best you keep you mouth shut, and let everyone think you're a moron, then to open it and remove all doubt!"

Reply to Comment 2: "You speak from personal experience or are you compensating for having an SUV/Truck?"

Reply to Comment 3: "Exit to the right and find peace!"

Old 03-27-2007, 03:54 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Well, I tried to find out anything from the Vegas group and this is the response I got ...

"A friend of mine saw it - he swore there were 8 clowns in every car." http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vegas/message/53377

hmm

Old 03-27-2007, 04:18 PM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is terrible, I'm glad nobody got hurt..
Always a few *********s to ruin the fun....
Hopefully the Idiots got caught...or run over, or killed...
Farking college kids..(sorry if some on here post) so annoying..
The wooooooooo hoooooooos and high fives everywhere they go when they have had like 2 beers....so annoying...
please learn to hold your drink...(and BTW beer is not liquor you lightweights)

Old 03-27-2007, 05:32 PM
cmbtmini
2nd Gear
pretty infuritating really, imagine these kids will be tomorrow's business leaders, engineers, law enforcement personnel, political leaders, etc...scary thought that is..........

Old 03-27-2007, 05:48 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by okraD La
please learn to hold your drink...(and BTW beer is not liquor you lightweights)
Yup...agree!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Perhaps in AMVIV 5, the Strip Cruise whould be on a weeknight, when the school children will be in bed?

Old 03-28-2007, 01:04 AM
daisygirl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Agro
Glad to hear you got home ok Judy. Even if you didn't bring VB or Bundy OP, you're always welcome to come back to Vegas for a visit. 20 hour flight? Hit a headwind, did you? Last time I went home it was only 14 from LA to Sydney. Oh yeah, also have to go back 30 years to enter Queensland.
We had to fly Las Vegas to San Francisco, hour stopover, San Francisco to Sydney, two and a half hour stopover, Sydney to Brisbane hence the 20 hours but I guess that also included the time in airports. I promise to organise some Bundy or VB in the very near future!!!

Quick Reply: AMVIV 4 Strip Run "MINI Bashing Comment of the Night"