All other MINI parts and items for Sale (archive) Archived - Everything for sale that is not a car or wheels and tires (but is MINI/Mini-related)

LQQking for crank replacement tools ++05/06 OEM crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Arly
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LQQking for crank replacement tools ++05/06 OEM crank Pulley

I already purchased the crank removal tool and the thread protector.

I am looking for the rest.
-11 8 460 this is the tool that helps keep the crank shaft from rotating during removal the crank pulley.

-11 8 242 this is the threaded stud that goes into the crank shaft
-11 8 241 this is the bolt that pulls the new pulley onto the crank shaft.

Reason:
I want to replace my 2002 Crank Pulley with an 2005/06 OEM crank pulley. Weight reduction, plus the 02-04 were prone to self destruct. So if anyone has one around that they want to get rid of, I be glad to take them off your hands.

Appreciate the help for all

Old 01-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
i have all of them. the 460 one i never really use. if you leave the car in gear and do not jack up the driver side, along with a screwdriver in the vents of the pass side.....you should be able to draw it on with out any problems...but the 242 and 241 will be needed. i have actually bought a few of these to rest out with the DT tool loaner program. i only have a few of them along with pullers and tensioner tools. i have not launched this program on the web site yet...but give me a call and i can help you out.

Chad
Detroit Tuned

Old 01-19-2007, 03:18 AM
Arly
4th Gear
agokart,
how much for each tool? Also, are they easy to fabricated if you had access to a machinist who happens to be my father in law?

As for the 460 tool, Is it just a tool to counter leverege the crank so that you can back out the crank bolt? Some folks are putting the car in gear and having a friend turn the ignition to #2 and pressing the brakes while the other backs out the bolt.

Is it critical that the crank not move at all while the crank bolt is being removed? Or is it just like I ask, it is just counter leverage tool to baking out the bolt?

Thanks for the help. I am looking for used tools at a good price.

I am also looking for a 05/06 crank pulley as well.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:54 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
there is a $20.00 rental and shipping. much cheaper than buying them for a job you will do once and never need them again. the tools rang for 30 to 60 each and i can get them for you if you need, or any mini dealer can order them. and they will have to order them as they do not stock them.

the 460 tool looks like a large spoon, but the end is flat with a large hole to get to the bolt, and three holes to bolt to the crank. it is used jut to keep the engine from turning over during install or removal. but like i said i hardly ever use it any more. an air gun takes the bolt out very easy. but i have found all cars to be different. some the bolt comes out easy, some are hard. if the air gun doesn't do it i use a very long extension on a breaker bar. you may be able to make something like this tool as it was close to 100 bucks. the other two tools will not be able to be make as easy but could be bought. one is a long threaded rod that is hardened and a large nut with a bearing on the front. i made something just like it a few years ago for installing a damper on a 350 Chevy. i round some threaded rods. welded then together, some large washers and some nut all greased up so not to bind. it would work, but not as nice as the mini tools. but again you will more than 20 in that i rent them for...

sorry no used crank pulleys at this time. and there is a waiting list right now....

Old 01-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Arly
4th Gear
How much are you thinking for the 05/06 pulleys? I am sorta on the waiting list too. have you heard of any guys having this replaced under warranty?

Old 01-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
if it's broken, it should be fixed, if your under 50K then it's free. not sure but i think they update it to the new style, but that is a dealer question.

when i get them, they are 100

Old 01-20-2007, 04:11 AM
Arly
4th Gear
Let me know. That price is reasonable. As for the dealer, I only have 25K on the car. I am out of the 4 year warranty. Do you think that the dealer will replace mine even after the warranty has expired? Will the dealer replace it even if it is still good or just as a preventative? I really doubt it but if you a way, let me know. Is the dealer in Detroit pretty good about changing 02 pulleys that are still good. I will probably do it myself since I will have the tools.
Thanks,
CARL

CARL

Old 01-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
if it was broken, they may good faith replace it if MINI has seen a lot of then come in broken, but they would never replace it if it was not broken. i bet if you had the dealer do it, it would run 500 to 600 dollars.