North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Alaska MINI Club (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/alaska-mini-club-347/)
-   -   Cold weather (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/alaska-mini-club/202142-cold-weather.html)

AkFarina 01-06-2011 06:48 AM

Cold weather

Hay guys, il be moving to Alaska pretty soon and I am wondering what to do for a block heater for the MINI 09 Cooper s. Or if there is anything like it. Or if there is a good remote start for it. my car is also a stick. any help is good help.

Matt

MNIPWR 12-08-2012 04:51 PM

I am also interested in this, did you find any info?

ChrisPysz 12-10-2012 03:28 PM

According to the MINI dealer in Minneapolis, where it also gets pretty cold, if you are using the recommended synthetic oil, there is no need for engine block heater or oil pan heater. I wasn't really comfortable with this, so I had a oil pan heater installed. Semi-warm oil is better than 0 degree oil any day.

As for cold start issues, that is a whole other thread. There seems to be an issue with leaving the car outside in cold temps, say less than 10F. I have a 09 JCW Clubman which is kept outside. Apparently, moisture/condensation builds up in the lowest part of the manifold intake and restricts airflow, possibly even causing problems with the throttle body (right next to manifold intake), and freezes. BMW of Anchorage (future MINI dealer) wanted to replace manifold with an updated one for the tune of $1200 plus, but I would have to pay for it. (This fix was three days after they had cleaned the throttle body and manifold intake of ice and "sludge", or carbon build up perhaps as the result of using only 91 octane fuel, the highest you can get in Alaska). Currently looking for other options. I am taking the car to an independent shop who is very good with MINIs, to have some further "cleaning" done. Also may have another strategically placed heating element installed. Will let you know how it works out.

Update: Had manifold replaced with newer design. The return on the original manifold sits low and condensation/moisture was accumulating in the lower part of the manifold near the intake. This causes problems, as you probably already have guessed. New manifold design has return hose connecting near top of manifold. The problem has been solved! Parts and labor, about $1000. Basically an original design flaw that may only show up in consistently cold (below freezing) temps. I am happy again, just wish it wasn't such an effort to get there.

MotorWorf 12-10-2012 04:23 PM

Mine will, also, be outside this winter here in MiniSnowDuh

DahKGB 12-10-2012 04:24 PM

WOW!! Great info. Im running an 03 MCS and i have 0 issues starting...but i didnt know about that! thanks for the info!

MotorWorf 12-10-2012 04:24 PM

Mine will, also, be outside this winter here in MiniSnowDuh.

I'll be lurking here.

DahKGB 12-13-2012 03:12 PM

So ive seen a couple other Minis up here while ive been driving but its mostly been during the fair weather. Just wondering how everyone is coping with the snow? Im doing grand until i get into roads that havent been plowed but seen traffic use. then it gets hairy. How about everyone else?

Ween 12-15-2012 10:12 PM

Sort of the same results. I didn't drive until Thursday (2 days after the snow?), and it was a bit hairy on unplowed parking lots where other traffic had been. Plowed/flattened snow roads = no issues though. This was with 17" OEM all-weather run-flats...I'm about a week or so away from getting a set of Blizzaks though.

DahKGB 12-15-2012 10:16 PM

Im running just regular all seasons. No issues. Just don't go into town lol. Bumpy as can be.

area49 12-17-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisPysz (Post 3639617)
... or carbon build up perhaps as the result of using only 91 octane fuel, the highest you can get in Alaska) ...

91 is what BMW specs, at least for my 2005 R56 MCS which says 91 in the owners manual.
I don't think that's the cause of your carbon issues.

As far as cold weather driveability, I drive everyday from the hillside in Anchor town, never had an issue, (albeit you can get frost bite grabbing them chilly door handles when it's sub-zero, Doe).

I don't use a pan heater, etc, car starts fine, get's around fine.

Running 16" studded Hakkapeliitta's all the way around, haven't got stuck once and I'm out before most snow plows.
Locked them up on ice too and they grab like an ice ax, save my a.. more then once.

DahKGB 12-18-2012 09:10 AM

Mine is a little picky on starting in the cold occasionally. Nothing major just has to turn a time or two before it catches. I wish i had studded :( i had to stomp on the brakes the other day and almost just slid into the intersection anyway.