North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Alaska MINI Club (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/alaska-mini-club-347/)
-   -   lack of warranty service in AK holding me back from taking the Mini plunge-ur advice? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/alaska-mini-club/195634-lack-of-warranty-service-in-ak-holding-me-back-from-taking-the-mini-plunge-ur-advice.html)

singletrack99501 08-28-2010 01:45 AM

lack of warranty service in AK holding me back from taking the Mini plunge-ur advice?

Hi folks,
Been jonesin' for a MC Clubman for awhile, and now doing some serious research and am getting cold feet due to the combination of reliability reports and the lack of warrantied service up here...what's everyone's take?

Generally reliability, etc. is rated as moderate, and some owners talk about dumping their rigs before it expires to avoid expensive problems (this coming from a guy with a 97 Outback with 132K miles; drive 'em til they drop!)

What sort of service have you needed; who are you using and what has your experience been? (BTW, I live in Los Anchorage)

I'm looking at something around the 08-09 clubman base, hopefully low mileage; MC C'man ride sounds better than the smaller mini, interior size also attractive (but haven't driven either of them yet!) Perhaps shying away from the C'man S due to the need for higher octane gas, stiffer suspension, some issues with timing chain tensioner, and possibly higher insurance for the S vs. base. (your opinions on these issues also appreciated). Got suggestions/experience with various west coast dealers? or other strategies for coming up with a winner?

I am looking for a reliable rig and am not really a "car-ista"; rather be on skis or bike on the mt. than driving to & from them, but I love Mini's concept of fun, functional, fantastic mileage, plus will soon be time for a newer car, and I deserve something nice (GF got the newer Volvo XC70 from me for b'day; now my turn!)...can't believe that most of the wagon commonly available get such crappy mileage, and Prius's are so bland (and make good moose catchers thru the windshield!)

Saw ya'll rallying down at T' Pass a couple of w'ends ago--looked good! Thanks for your insights in advance! k2

klricks 08-28-2010 08:11 AM

I live over 200 miles away from a dealer. So far, Since Feb '10, have gone to the dealer 1 time for a minor issue. Dealer or transport company lost one of the key FOBs. They mailed me a new one, but I had to take it and car to the dealer to have it programmed so the comfort access part would work.

Note all MINI models S and non S should use 91+ octane. Per owners manual 91 recommended 87 minimum with some performance degradation.

djmckenzie 09-08-2010 12:45 PM

We got our MINI through Seattle MINI and delt with Michael Reichstein who treated us great! Best car buying I have ever had! I flew down to Seattle with my son and we drove it back to Big Lake in March of this year in 43hrs. We have a basic MINI Clubman and have 12,000 miles on all ready. I LOVE driving this sport car machine around the back roads of the Mat-Su Valley. We have a good forgian car machanic who used to own a MINI. So he does our oil and will be adding on some upgrades. I have MiNI Mania bad. Nothing has gone wrong. I drive it fast and hard. Other owners in Anchorage have said that there is a good shop in town that has some good MINI people if you need work done. Just do it. The club people seem really nice. I am really new to the club and only been on one Rally. Hope to do one in Sept. Right now at Mat-Valley Credit Union they Have red and black MC heading up their yearly rental car sale frome Hirtz I think and is on display in Palmer. A 2010 model basic MINI I think. Hope this helps. Dennis

nameless_ak 01-09-2011 01:55 AM

If your still in the market for a mini cooper S Clubman. email me I'm selling one in AK. brycehyslip@hotmail.com