Alabama Motoring Society: BAMA and Rocket City The forum for the Alabama Motoring Society.
Visit the BAMA club site at www.bamamini.com
Visit the Rocket City MINI club site at www.rocketcitymini.com

Picnic in the park

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 04:35 PM
sjolly
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family picnic in the park

Let's have a get together at Smith Lake in Cullman on Sat. Aug. 21, starting around 10:30am till. They have a pool,water slide, lake , putt putt golf, horsehoes,volleyball, there is a small fee for some of the things I will list them at the bottom of the page.

Let us know how many in your party will be able to come, so I will know how many hamburgers and hot dogs to bring, if everybody will bring a side dish or dessert just list it with this thread.I think it would be easier if everbody brings their own drinks.

The cost to use the pool is 2.00 for 2 and under, 4.00 for 3 and above, putt is 2.00 per game/per person:smile:

Last edited by sjolly; 08-04-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:11 AM
lil skippy
Neutral
cullman picnic

Count me in I will have 4 people with me. I can bring paper plates and forks and knives cups let me know, or I can bring a side dish.

Old 08-06-2004, 06:13 PM
sjolly
3rd Gear
If you could bring a side dish that would be great, I got someone from where I work to donate the plates, forks, cups.:smile: Looking forward to seeing you there.

Old 08-08-2004, 04:44 AM
ThumbsUp
2nd Gear
Doh! That's the weekend my wife is sending me to drive in the Woodward Dream Cruise, one of the items on my list of "50 Things to do Before I Die" (see my web site link below.) :smile:

For those of you not familiar with Woodward Ave., I'll need to give a little background. Back in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's, the car culture in the US had two camps; Los Angeles and Detroit. Woodward Ave in Detroit was the headquarters of GM and Chrysler. It was the street that all the kids cruised and where all the street racing took place.

I learned about the happenings on Woodward Ave. when I was as early as 13 years old. I'd had a job since I was 12, and at 13, it became my routine on Friday afternoons to walk to West End Drugs and spend a little bit of my paycheck on car magazines. "Popular Hot Rodding" and "Car Craft" were my favorites. That's how I learned about cruising and Woodward Ave.

Anyway, about 10 years ago, I read about a guy who wanted to put on a fund raising charity event for the Detroit area. He remembered fondly the warm summer nights cruising and street racing on Woodward Ave. and wanted to re-create the experience. The cruise he sponsored drew about 35,000 spectators and was considered a huge success; so much so that he was encouraged to do it again the next year and each year thereafter. The Woodward Dream Cruise, as it has become to be known, has grown each year. This year, the 10th anniversary, is expected to draw 40,000 classic cars and 1.5 million spectators. Check it out at http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com

While my birthday is actually August 31st, my wife and daughter presented me with an early present. My daughter made a book of all the memorable events in my life (mostly stupid things I had done as a kid), and on the next to last page was the question "So what are you going to do for your 50th Birthday". The answer was on the last page - they were sending me on the Woodward Dream Cruise!

My wife has been working for the last few months to pull all the details together ( and she let me know just how difficult it all was by giving me copies off all her email correspondence.) Not only has she arranged for air fare, but also, by some stroke of magic, found a hotel room, as well as contacting my work and arranging my schedule. But the best thing of all, she even rented me a 1971 big block, 4 speed Corvette to drive!

I'll be skying out of here on Thursday, August 19th and returning on Monday, August 23rd. Thanks to my BEAUTIFUL, LOVING, KIND, CONSIDERATE, and totally AWESOME wife, I'll be cruising in the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise in a real muscle car!

THANK YOU BABS!

Last edited by ThumbsUp; 08-08-2004 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:08 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThumbsUp
Thanks to my BEAUTIFUL, LOVING, KIND, CONSIDERATE, and totally AWESOME wife, I'll be cruising in the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise in a real muscle car!

THANK YOU BABS!
Wow! What a fantastic 50th birthday gift! Mine was my first MINI! Have a great time cruising Woodward Avenue! A BIG ThumbsUp to Babs!

Clo/Wanda

Old 08-09-2004, 11:40 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
That's so awesome. Just remember to do her right when her turn comes around because you have a 1 in a billion wife. WTG Babs.

Old 08-10-2004, 04:37 AM
magic mini
5th Gear
I'll Be there.

Just to let you know I will have two people in my Mini. The side dish I will bring is up in the air for now. :smile: See you then.

Originally Posted by sjolly
Let's have a get together at Smith Lake in Cullman on Sat. Aug. 21, starting around 10:30am till. They have a pool,water slide, lake , putt putt golf, horsehoes,volleyball, there is a small fee for some of the things I will list them at the bottom of the page.

Let us know how many in your party will be able to come, so I will know how many hamburgers and hot dogs to bring, if everybody will bring a side dish or dessert just list it with this thread.I think it would be easier if everbody brings their own drinks.

The cost to use the pool is 2.00 for 2 and under, 4.00 for 3 and above, putt is 2.00 per game/per person:smile:

Old 08-15-2004, 04:27 PM
sjolly
3rd Gear
picnic

It is less than a week till in picnic in the park (aug 21), if are planning to attend please let us know so everybody will know how much food to bring. I will bring the burgers and hotdogs, plates and forks, and things to put on the burgers.

To get to Smith Lake in cullman, if you drive down with us we will meet up at the publix on Madison Blvd (hwy20) at 9.00am leaving at 9.30am, but you can come at any time.
Take I-65 south till you come to exit 304 in cullman that the stop sign take a right, [font=Arial]if you are coming from B'ham you will take I-65 north to exit 304 at the stop sign you will turn left , drive[/font] for about 5 miles you will see the sign for smith lake turn right follow this road for about 1 an a half to 2 miles till you see Mcqueens boat storage on the left turn left at the smith lake sign, this road will take you to the park. Turn right in to the park follow the road it will bear to the left and the group will be over by the cabins.

Hope see you there.

Stephen

Old 08-15-2004, 05:42 PM
magic mini
5th Gear
If anyone from Bham wants to meet me and follow me to smith lake park let me know.

Old 08-19-2004, 06:39 PM
sjolly
3rd Gear
They say there is a 60% chance of rain saturday, if it is rainning around 10:00 in cullman we will postpone for sometime later. Kerry if you could email in the saturday morning and let us know what is happen in your area we will decide what to do.

Stephen

Old 08-19-2004, 06:57 PM
magic mini
5th Gear
I've always wanted to be a weather man!

I will be glad to email everyone and post on here saturday morning to let you know what the weather is doing. I know it will rain tomorrow because I washed my Mini today. :smile:

www.magicmini.com

Old 08-21-2004, 06:51 AM
sjolly
3rd Gear
Do to the weather the picnic in the park has been postponed. Look for the next run coming in Sept.