North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Alabama Motoring Society: BAMA and Rocket City (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/alabama-motoring-society-bama-and-rocket-city-49/)
-   -   Bad Parts and Bad service at MOB (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/alabama-motoring-society-bama-and-rocket-city/231890-bad-parts-and-bad-service-at-mob.html)

magic mini 06-13-2012 07:36 PM

Bad Parts and Bad service at MOB

Well I hate to do it but I have to tell this story to save other Mini Owners. I was having problems with my Clutch on my mini. I determined it was my clutch Slave Cylinder. So I went to Mini of Birmingham and got the part. Paid I think $90 for it. Got home put the part on but still had problems. I took the car apart and replace the clutch which was bad. Put the car back together and still had the problem. Turns out the part I got from Mini of Birmingham was bad. I called and asked if I can exchange the part.

Now this is a Mini thing and trust me I called Mini USA about this but They wanted me to bring the car with the bad part on it to the dealer so they can check it and give me a replacement. I tell them on the phone that the part was leaking from the boot. Hello its a Bad Part. Anyway I was able to get the car to the dealer. They change out the part and tell me its fixed. I no more than get in my car and my clutch will not disengage. I drive off once I get it in gear and try to give it a chance to maybe build up but nope it didn't. So I come back to the dealer. They check it again and tell me that something I did to the clutch on the inside is making the Clutch Slave pop.

So I take the car back apart. (12 hour job) I change the Clutch release folk which didn't look bad but I did it anyway. Put the car back together and call the dealer to fix it again. I never got a return phone call. So I went to rockauto.com and got the same part for $25 dollars. Put it on myself and get what my clutch is fixed.

So basically they had two bad parts or the second one was put on by someone that didn't know what they were doing.

That was the first and last time I will every let that dealer touch my car. And from now on I will order parts from rockauto.com or from another dealer not owned by the owner of Mini of Birmingham and I think they own Mini of Nashville.

Save yourself money and get your parts from places like Rockauto.com or Advanceautoparts, etc. If you don't do work on your car then take it to Stephens Garage. (205) 595-8735.4105 4th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222. That is where I take mine when I can't fix it myself.

kel3q3 06-13-2012 07:50 PM

That's disappointing to hear. I have a MINI coming in next week to the Bham dealership. But thanks for the heads up. Fortunately, my brother is a mechanic and a MINI owner, so I'll have a little help.

Reebus 06-14-2012 05:08 AM

Well, I can't speak for the bad parts part. (i've only bought touch-up paint and other "dress up items). I can talk about my experience with their Service department and have nothing but good things to say about the way I've been treated. With me, they have gone above and beyond what I've expected. Sorry you had a bad experience.

jst4fun 06-15-2012 11:17 AM

I hear ya pain Kerry.
I was disappointed with their support to the local MINI club and the enthusiast that already owned MINIs. I felt like they were only interested in the prospects of people to buy new cars and the other owners were not as important
The few times I did business with them, they were always helpful and friendly but on the other hand I had a few repairs done to Coop and they were awful pricey. Then again these are BMW machines so there in lies that problem.

Maybe things will get better in Birmingham and at MOB.

artforge1 11-27-2012 10:50 AM

I have had nothing but bad experiences with them too. I went there with every expectation of buying a Mini. I fell in love with two and worked out the deal in my head. The salescreature was so annoying that I finally left. I ended up buying a used one from the Porsche place next door. I went back several months later for some work and their service department was extremely unhelpful. I bought the parts I needed from Mini Atlanta online and saved myself nearly half of B'hams parts price and did the work myself (half a days worth) and saved nearly $2k. I will never go back there for anything!

magic mini 01-05-2013 01:18 PM

So it happen. It was time for me to buy a new car. Guess what. Because of the bad service at MOB I decided to buy a Fiat 500 Turbo. Don't worry I still have my Mini!! Just need a new car I can depend on since my Mini is getting old. :thumbsup:

Indurdenwetrust 01-06-2013 12:45 AM

I love Minis exterior a lot more than the interior. The Fiat 500 is just opposite for me. A few people I've talked to recently basically feel Minis and 500s are directly related but I don't see it??? They're just too small for me but, I guess that's why I got a Clubman.

Congrats on your new ride. I guess we won't label you full blown traitor until you sell your Mini :p

magic mini 01-15-2013 10:28 AM

Not selling the Mini!!! Just order more parts today to work on it some more. :thumbsup:

RobertJ 01-15-2013 02:19 PM

RockAuto FTW. :thumbsup: